So, I've been playing guitar for about six years now, going through many music phases through those six years, as anyone would have. I find myself now trying to learn music by bands such as Between The Buried and Me and Veil of Maya, and I can get most of it done for the most part (barely). But, I believe I found my problem.

I never trained my left hand ring+pinky fingers. I automatically do all my tapping with my first three fingers (unless I'm pulling off, I go for pinky>middle>index). Although, I've heard that Chuck Schuldiner grew up doing this same thing, I really think I'd be much better with some training.

So my question is:
Could anyone share some tips or ring+pinky specific exercises that I can use to my benefit?

Thanks in advance.
I had the same problem for a while. All I did was slow everything down and force myself to finger everything correctly. I didn't do any special exercises though. I just played songs very very slowly to make sure that every note was being played right.
Read through this...it did me a lot of good: http://books.google.com/books?id=wUZwk41Q5agC&pg=PA130&lpg=PA130&dq=legato+play+relax&source=bl&ots=URVj-LTC1g&sig=I61kIm77kqxMqDEfL1KnROV8HSs&hl=en&ei=NAkATKbxLcL68AbfgoXWDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=legato%20play%20relax&f=false

Also, there are guitarists who play largely without their pinky. See Michael Keene...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9XTC88OJM. Sure, his technique isn't great, but this guy is still a ridiculous guitarist (inb4 Freepower-clones insult his playing ). My friend toured with The Faceless, and Keene told him that he can play certain licks about 8 bpm faster with his index-middle-ring than he could with an index-middle/ring-pinky combo. This was the result of an injury that left him unable to play/practice with his pinky for a long period of time. Go figure.

Bottom line/tl;dr ...You made a mistake by not adequately training your pinky. Cons: you have to work on your pinky, try trills using any finger + your pinky. Pros: Your other fingers are that much stronger now.

You didn't waste any time when you think about it.

Get practicing !
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Last edited by plainsight at May 28, 2010,
I would personally suggest focusing on 2 octave scales using the correct fingering.

Any 2 octave scale should require the use of all 4 fingers if played in its enterity.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Read through this...it did me a lot of good: http://books.google.com/books?id=wU...20relax&f=false

Also, there are guitarists who play largely without their pinky. See Michael Keene...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9XTC88OJM. Sure, his technique isn't great, but this guy is still a ridiculous guitarist (inb4 Freepower-clones insult his playing ). My friend toured with The Faceless, and Keene told him that he can play certain licks about 8 bpm faster with his index-middle-ring than he could with an index-middle/ring-pinky combo. This was the result of an injury that left him unable to play/practice with his pinky for a long period of time. Go figure.

Bottom line/tl;dr ...You made a mistake by not adequately training your pinky. Cons: you have to work on your pinky, try trills using any finger + your pinky. Pros: Your other fingers are that much stronger now.

You didn't waste any time when you think about it.

Get practicing !

+1.

And really? I don't think I sneer at anyone for technical "faults". I know I used to but we all make our mistakes.

And HOLY SHIT Natural Classical Guitar is the best damn book on guitar technique evar. How'd you come across it?

Anyway, threadstarter - why not write some riffs that work those two fingers? That'd be my choice in the situation. You get some new riffs, and you work your technical flaws.

(here's a quick example, straight 16ths)

E||----------------------------------||
B||----------------------------------||
G||----------4-----------------------||
D||----5-4-5---5-4-5---5-4---4-2---4-||
A||--2---------------2-----5-----5---||
E||----------------------------------||