Anyone have experience buying pedals (or I guess anything) on The Gear Page? What's the best way to set up a transaction to protect yourself from getting screwed? I ask because there's a pedal I'm interested in, and I've never bought off something like that before.
If you're wary, ask for references (sometimes they're in their sig, but if you PM them they'll shoot you a message back with usernames) and actually follow up with a few to ask how the transaction went. Don't use the gift option on paypal - if you do, Paypal won't let you dispute it if you don't get the item, etc. It costs like 3% of the total to use the Goods option, and that gives you Paypal's support if something goes awry, including refunding your money if the seller can't prove they sent you the item.

Typically TGP is a pretty safe place to buy/trade as long as you stay away from new people and actually PM some of the references they list to make sure they aren't just made up usernames.
^That. I'll buy from people who don't have a lot of references but I only trade with those who have been around for a while. TGP is fairly safe because you have to pay to list something in the Emporium. I will say that you can use the gift option if someone has a lot of good references and is a fairly well known user. Other than that it's stupid. And never pay by money order, that's even stupider.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, as far as the gift thing, I just meant if you were worried and trying to play it safe. I typically don't have a problem with it if it's a well known user. Especially on more expensive things :/
Quote by josephde
Yeah, as far as the gift thing, I just meant if you were worried and trying to play it safe. I typically don't have a problem with it if it's a well known user. Especially on more expensive things :/

So if the seller's got over 1,500 posts and shows up in a sig or two, it's pretty solid?
You should be cool. No matter what I always get a little conversation going with the guy before I buy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by coquet
So if the seller's got over 1,500 posts and shows up in a sig or two, it's pretty solid?

Yeah, for a pedal I'd have no problem gifting it.
if you think that robben ford may have used one, or maybe played through one once in a store and said it was quite nice, or even has heard of one, DO NOT MENTION IT!

The price will rocket by around 4000%.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^That too. Never mention Robben Ford relating to an item unless you're trying to sell said item. They'll then fly off the shelf like hot cakes at ridiculously high prices. Zen Drives still sell for more than they sell new and there's no waiting list.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

oh yeah, if you're selling something you should shamelessly namedrop robben ford every second word. maybe photoshop a couple of pics with him using the item, better yet using your exact pedal while you're shaking hands with him. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?