Hey guys, i'm planning on buying a new amp in the near future and thought i could use some advice before going to some stores to check some amps out

Im playing post-rock, alternative-rock, and all sorts of metal. So basically, I would need to get some nice clean tones, nice overdriven AND a nice distortion sound. (Multi channel amp or pedals, not sure what's best to go for...)

Amp shouldn't really have some sort of effects on it, since i'll be using pedals for that. (I mean delay/flanger/reverb stuff etc etc)

Budget would be up to 2000 (MAX!), around 1500 would be nice :p (euro)
That amount of money gives you a lot of different options.

When you say post rock, what do you mean, like Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky?. EITS use Fender amps (most of the time), in my opinion they sound absolutly amazing and they are the best amps for that type of post rock, they'll also do alternative rock pretty good too. If I were you I would have a look at different fender amps and see which ones have the most suitable power and features for you

However the Fenders won't do the metal tones too well on their own, but with some pedals they'll be fine. I'm sure that if you don't already have some good OD/Distortion pedals, then you'll have some money left over to buy some with a budget like that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
i have no idea what post-rock is, and i'm not too hot even on alternative rock, but assuming you just need something with a wide range of tones and which is pretty versatile, how about a brunetti xlr-evo?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Post-rock = God is an astronaut, Explosions in the sky, red sparowes, ...

Their sound is idd very beautiful, but not anything like metal ofc. So a fender amp with pedal for metal sound could work out Any models in particular? Will it also be able to give nice metal sounds with a pedal?
Atm I have a RAT distortion pedal but my current (cheap) amp is messing up the tones, so not sure if it's good enough ;p

Also, im not really not familiar with brunetti so not sure what to expect here :p
it's your usual multi-channel, but versatile, high gain head. might be what you want, might not.

that list of post-rock bands isn't helping
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Three awsome bands there, man. Good taste

EITS use a Fender '65 Twin Reverb (awsome amp) and also a Fender Dual Showman.
I'm not entirelty sure what amps the other two bands use but you could certainly nail that tone with a fender.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=guitaramplifiers&amplifierType=Tube

^ there's a list of fender tube amps, they all vary is size, power and features, just about any one of those will be able to do that sparkly clean beautiful post rock sound though.

What will you be using the amp for? Gigs? Band Practice? Just at home?

The Fender amps will be able to get metal sounds if you use OD/Distortion pedals with them, but ofcourse they won't actually sound as good for metal as an amp that is actually designed to be used for metal. However the post-rock thing seems to be important to you, and it's alot easier to make a clean amp sound good heavy than it is to make a heavy amp sound good clean.

I'd reccomend a Fender Twin Reverb.
I had a Fender 'Twin Amp' once, the cleans were absolutly fantastic, and I also found that the dirty channel was abit heavier than many other Fender amps, definatly Heavy enough to alt-rock thing. However no matter what Fender amp you buy, you'll need a pedal for the metal.

I've never even heard of Brunetti.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
An Orange Rockerverb would be great! And you'll have a lot of money left over. These boys are unbelievable price for their quality, especially if you play rock. You'll never be upset with an Orange amp as they provide great distortion channel, and the clean channel is superb. Look up Jimmy Page, and you'll find he had amps made by Orange MatAmp (now 2 separate companies).
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Ill be using amp for band practice and (small) gigs

Btw, my favourite metal bands aren't even using that 'typical' metal sound (Katatonia, Amorphis, ...) so working with a pedal on the fender amp might actually work out pretty well

What amp are you using atm, Fuzzlove? You seem to be in the post-rock genre aswell :P
Those orange amps do idd look quite nice aswell

But not sure if it would outcome the fender ones? Especially if you consider that EITS are using the amp, it just can't be wrong :p
Very true! EITS are amazing, and personally, I don't think you can beat fender when it comes to cleans, so why don't you get yourself a Fender as well, like a Bassman '59 reissue You have a rather large budget that many of us would dream of having!
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Cool, so you don't need anything with loads of power then, about 30/40 watts should be perfect. An obvious sugestion in that power range would be a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, very good amps, especially for the money.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_hot_rod_deluxe.htm

It would do everything you need it to do (with an OD pedal).

I'm not familiar with those metal bands, I don't listen to much metal, but if they're not really really hi-gain heavy metal bands, then a fender with the OD/dist should be fine

That Hot Rod sounds beautiful clean, the spring reverb in it is great, it's definatly loud enough for what you need it for, and it would leave you with lots of left over money, that you could buy some of effects and even a guitar with.

Right now I'm just using a red-knob 80s Fender Champ 12, it's got a decent clean sound and with my OD pedals it works well, but bare in mind that when this amp was released, it was a lower level tube amp. That's my home practice amp, I'm not gigging at the moment.

Like I said though, I used to have a twin, absolutly awsome amps.. You have enough money to buy a brand new Fender Twin Amp, but they are very loud (perhaps too loud for what you need) and they are also extremely heavy to move around and things.

Orange amps have really good distortion on them (excluding the Tiny Terror and Dual Terror), the cleans are good in their own way, but I definatly think that Fender cleans are more what you're after.

I think the Hot Rod Deluxe would suit you very well
Last edited by FuzzLove at May 28, 2010,
^ The HRD has shit drive, though. And on that budget, the OP can do so much better than the HRD.

If cleans and distortion are equally important, maybe a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade or Duotone?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
^ The HRD has shit drive, though. And on that budget, the OP can do so much better than the HRD.

This is true, though if you just use OD pedals on the clean channel they sound good, I know many guitarists that do that.

For the budget though, you could get a better amp. I just don't think you actually need a 'better' or bigger/more powerfull amp for what you're doing though. But hey if you have all that money and you don't need it for anything else, just go for it, but a more expensive amp.

H&K Switchblade sounds interesting.
^ you need a lot more than an od on a clean channel to get anything remotely heavy, normally. od + dist, then maybe. But i'd still say an amp more aimed at all the tones is a better idea (unless you have a good reason to want the fender).

Quote by Raijouta

+1

koch multitone? the brunetti i mentioned? diezel einstein (haven't tried that one, but the vh4 i tried was great)? etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 28, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ you need a lot more than an od on a clean channel to get anything remotely heavy, normally. od + dist, then maybe. But i'd still say an amp more aimed at all the tones is a better idea (unless you have a good reason to want the fender).

Yeah that's true, if you want really heavy, I don't think TS does though.
Fender would be perfect for the cleans associated with the post-rock bands mentioned, and with a pedal it could do heavier sounds.

With that large budget, something more versatile is definatly possible though.
i thought he needed a distortion sound.

but apart from that,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?