Okay guys/girls i need to learn how to sight read, not expertly but i need a firm grasp on it, i have about 5 months to do this, i need all the advice you can give me, tips, techniques on how to remember it all, ANYTHING please!

I really should have learnt sooner but 5 months can go extremely quickly and i need this for university

So yeah, any help would be good,

thanks

(Oh and sorry if this gets posted alot, i havent been on in a while and briefly glanced at the FAQ's)
Last edited by !BEN! at May 28, 2010,
Learn the basics from the internet/a book - where the notes are, how long each note lasts for, key sigs etc.

Then just buy a basic classical book and just sight read all the pieces. Do one a day or something. First sight read it then learn it the whole way through. Then once you can play all of those pieces get a slightly harder piece and repeat.

That's all there is to it really, the best way to be fluent/get good at sight reading is just to do it all the time. The reason I suggest a classical book is:
-good ones will be well structured for someone who is learning
-there will be really basic ones so the learning curve is not massively steep
-you probably won't know the pieces (if you try and read a song you know you might end up playing by ear).
So...are you wanting to be a music major?

If so, you're going to have an extremely hard time catching up to others if you can't even read yet.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Well its a music degree, 2 year course, its not classical music or anything and they dont require huge amounts of theory knowledge, just the basics of being able to sight read and know your way around a guitar, its a more modern place

And thanks 12345abcd3 Ill definately buy some next time im in town
15 mins a day going through something like berklees modern method for guitar should be cool.
that and getting a fake book and going through a song a day.

You totally started way late, man... How come you never read music before now?
Quote by mdwallin
15 mins a day going through something like berklees modern method for guitar should be cool.
that and getting a fake book and going through a song a day.

You totally started way late, man... How come you never read music before now?

Thanks for the advice, and i dunno man, i guess ignorance or something, i was in my own little world thinking "i dont need theory or sight reading" then as soon as i wanna go uni i need those exact things :P
Luckily i dont need to be an in depth sight reader so i think i should be okay