I quit dipping back in January and recently started again for reasons I would rather not say. Has anyone ever noticed a diminishing effect on their guitar playing when using tobacco? Before I would sit in my room playing for hours with a half of can of dip til I would get sick and throw up. When I quit I was able to play for longer periods of time. However, during that time not a day passed that I didn't think about getting a can of Grizzly. Now that I started again, I'm starting to think it's not so great because I seem to play better without it. It is my only vice left other than caffeine, which I wouldn't really call a vice. Maybe someone can give me some words of encouragement or advice. I really should quit cause I can't afford (financially) to have my jaw cut out. I get a thrill/rush out of playing guitar...but you never know when its gonna come. It Is something I look forward to. When all you do is work and play guitar, you gotta have something that keeps you going. Anyone else feel that way?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
dude i'm in the same boat, but with smokes, anyway i used to light up everytime i gripped the neck, it just went together, now i stopped smoking, i do play better, and i feel better for not smoking, and i don't get smoke in my eye anymore.....but i noticed that i do everything a bit more focused as to take my mind off ciggs, but gum is my greatest friend, i've successfully managed to 100% replace my cigg craving for gum craving, and it works, but thats me.
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
Quote by yodadax
but gum is my greatest friend, i've successfully managed to 100% replace my cigg craving for gum craving, and it works, but thats me.

Make sure that gum doesn't have Sorbitol. It's a sugar substitute, but it is also used as a laxative. In small amounts it's harmless, but smokers tend to have more than they should. It can cause some temporary digestive problems, bowel... discomforts, or general feelings of nausea. Many people quitting attribute those symptoms to not having cigarettes when it is in fact the gum.
Thanks for the advice. I'm noticing a diminishing effect on my guitar abilities (speed and stamina) even though I have felt more adventurous when improvising. Tobacco just isn't worth sacrificing technique. Looks like once again I must walk that cold lifeless road...not knowing when I will feel warm again.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Well, I've been a smoker for the last 17 or 18 years. I'm not proud of that. For someone that's usually pretty determined about accompishing stuff, it's pretty annoying that the same doesn't apply to quiting smoking. Anyway, I make a point of not smoking while I practice. I get a nice little rhythm going - practice for 30 mins, get up and have a coffee and smoke, sit down for another 30 mins and so on. I don't really think about wanting a cig while practicing because I'm so used to not smoking during that time that it kind of just turns the desire off.