hello guys, after a whole year in the magic guitar world, i decided to look for a bass...After much search, i found a second-handed Ibanez GSR200(the old model, with 3 knobs) with an Osmond(? unknown to me, but i dont care)amplifier 40W at a very good price. the "problem" is that the bass is a bit old(7 years old :P) and the amp too. as far as i know both havent been used for a while, they are in good condition(except a missing strap knob) and i worry if after so many years the gear will show its problems to me. should i buy it or should i change my mind and go for something else(considering the extremely catchy price, which is about 140 euros)?

ps: a new gsr200 in my country costs 250 euros, ~220 from a foreign store and the amp about 50 euros (used and 40W)
For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time.
John Frusciante
Last edited by caramelo at May 29, 2010,
It should be fine. I don't know much about the amp, but the GSR200 is a great little bass. Mine's about 6, going on 7 years old and hasn't had a single problem.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
GSR200 is a great bass and as far as i can tell from mine (getting to four years) is extremely robust, no problems with it either. 140 euros is a good price as well for second hand and amp.
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
one thing you should remember is that as tone woods age they typically sound better. if your worried look it over, and ALWAYS try before you buy. make sure everything works to your liking, ask for a warranty as well if you like.
thanks for your replies. the thing is that the bass is in an other city 700 km away, so its impossible to try it(i know the gsr's sound because i have played the newer model before). as far as he told me, the other day a friend of his jammed at his home and everything was just fine. and he told me the little problem with the strap knob, so i dont think he is gonna "hide" any problems or so.also, remember that we talk about a 200euro, second-handed bass. is it so important to try the bass?
For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time.
John Frusciante
Last edited by caramelo at May 30, 2010,
as long as your willing to fix the strap knob and do minor set up then 200 euro's is a mighty fine price.
when you say set up what do you mean? i just want a "playable" bass. the price is 130 euros with the amp. i referred to the 200 euros because this is the price of a new one in a german or english online store...
John Frusciante
set up means.
fixing intonation
setting string height to your preferances
setting truss rod incase any buzzing
cleaning

it sounds harder then it really is.
if i remember the set up of my guitar...it is. but i am not really sure if this bass is worth a set up, it costs only 200 euros new, and less than 100 for me secondhanded :s
John Frusciante
I'd go for that if I were you, Ibanez is a company that, in my experience, seems to needs somewhat less maintenance then other basses.
Quote by caramelo
if i remember the set up of my guitar...it is. but i am not really sure if this bass is worth a set up, it costs only 200 euros new, and less than 100 for me secondhanded :s

It's always worth it to get a good setup done. It's only about $50 typically (it's hard to say what that will translate into in Euros) and it can make a seemingly poor bass play quite a bit better. So you can spend 100 on the bass and maybe another 50 or so on a setup and end up with a bass that plays as well if not better than the one off the shelf (that you'd probably have to get setup anyway) and still be ahead of the game 50 euros.