I don't know what it is like in the states but here in Germany each senior year usually has its own band that plays on the last day of school (and some other gigs too, if it comes to that)

So I'm in year 12 now and we'll be playing in around a year on our prom so the crowd consists of 120 of the usual 19yo high school senior.

I'm saying that, because I'm having a little argument with my band. We've been rehearsing for a few months and have like 10 poprock covers down(seven nation army, dani california, that kind of stuff)
now I'm thinking about leaving this band because I don't see the point. I'm the lead guitarist and I usually spend my time playing the same chord progression for 3minutes without any real fun, basically playing what the rhythm guitarist/singer is doing too.

I'm the only one taking music seriously, you could say the band consists of 1 musician (me) and 4 high schoolers playing an instrument.
I want to introduce some more advanced stuff like thin lizzy just to make something out of this band

I don't want to boost my ego as the lead guitarist or something liek "give my 2 minute solo or I'm out", I just want to introduce songs, that consist of more than 2 different chord progressions.

The points of the singer are: The people can't relate to any new stuff, they only want to hear the stuff they already know. As soon as we play something new, the mood of the audience will drop immediately.

I'm saying as long as the song has a groove and we deliver a good show there's no problem with new stuff and keeping like a 50:50 ratio of classics to new stuff it's totally fine and will be better for us.

Opinions?

TL: DR: high school gig: play own/unpopular but good stuff or only play shitty poprock?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
They will want more of the stuff they know already. If you're going to do 10 songs maybe do 7 standard pop rock and 3 better songs interspersed throughout the middle of the set list. Don't play them all at once though, or at the very beginning or very end of the set.
Quote by thorbor
TL: DR: high school gig: play own/unpopular but good stuff or only play shitty poprock?

You've just answered your own question, at these kind of events you should always play something that people like and can sing along with/dance to.

In your own practices/gigs you can play whatever the hell you like, there's nothing wrong with diversifying your repertoire but for school gigs it's much better to stick to well known stuff, seriously.
Quote by thorbor
I'm the lead guitarist and I usually spend my time playing the same chord progression for 3minutes without any real fun, basically playing what the rhythm guitarist/singer is doing too.

Then have some fun with the song. I played a Kelly Clarkson song for my grad retreat, and instead of whining, I improvised over the chords (and this does not mean shredding through the entire song, it could also mean finding creative ways to play the chords).

I'd support maybe playing one or two lesser known songs, because you could really make someone's day if you play a song they like that isn't standard radio play.

Also, if this band was organized by your school to some extent, keep in mind that you are there for the sole purpose of entertaining the grads, and not making some artistic expression.