Page 1 of 2
Alright, so we all know that memes/phrases such as "ftw" "fail" "The game" and other like sayings are all originated from the asshole of the internet; a website which I dare not utter here

There was a time when the only people who said (nay, typed, never "said") these things were nerds like myself who had some vague contact with internet geek culture. You know, those of us who talked in 1337 back when it was cool. (or, when we thought it was )

So my question is. Why the HELL are these things now emerging in speech?

This morning, I checked my facebook as usual, and the most popular update was the most popular young woman in my old high school posting "I just lost the game" followed by MANY replies of people saying the same; yet I'd be astounded if any of them have ever stepped foot in an internet forum!

Don't get me wrong, people can say what they want to say, I don't care. But it's hard to deny that this is an interesting evolution of internet culture into others.

There was a time when these never left the security of the fanboy's keyboard. But no; now they're even in our high schools. I just wanna know how this change happened, and if you know of any stories similar to this one.

Your thoughts, pit?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at May 28, 2010,
Fads: they be spreadin' like the black plague
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

It is odd, I can still remember a point where people who had games concoles were considered weird, now with the insane popularity of the wii, ps3 and 360, it seems you're weirder if you don't play games. I guess in a technological age the nerds were always going to have some kind of advantage.
"That Sucks." or "Yeah" = tl:dr
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Pop culture is changing, nerdism is considered "cool" now but only in certain degrees. Also most people don't know where alot of the language they are using originates from anyway. If they did then i believe it would be a very different story.

THE GAME does not exist btw...there's no rule 34 of it.
Quote by thematthill5
The man speaks truth.

Quote by Scutchington
That was probably the first time I've ever laughed at the "over 9000" meme.
I remember the first instance of the game in like year nine. some hot girl started it all, that's the weird thing. She must've been a /b/tard

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Yeah, I completely agree OP, we were using these phrases many years ago and now they're out into the mainstream, we feel betrayed, it's almost as if we feel that these phrases belong to us and we have been cheated out of them. Or it could just be me.
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
Because they're awesome

/thread
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I HATE when people say internet shit out loud. Typed is another thing, but when you speak it, it just sounds dumb. Such as the "f" word that I refuse to say or even type because of my deep hatred of the usage of said word, I cannot explain it, but when people actually go and say it out loud like when someone trips or ****s up in a song, it erks me...

Some real internet nerds that I have known started saying words (years ago) normally only typed out loud and it really got to me, don't know why. Hopefully it is going to be a fad that will pass in time, but I fear that will not be the case...
Quote by longman240
Yeah, I completely agree OP, we were using these phrases many years ago and now they're out into the mainstream, we feel betrayed, it's almost as if we feel that these phrases belong to us and we have been cheated out of them. Or it could just be me.

I feel a little like this as well.

We have our own culture. I don't think it should be spoken.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by j-moges
I HATE when people say internet shit out loud. Typed is another thing, but when you speak it, it just sounds dumb. Such as the "f" word that I refuse to say or even type because of my deep hatred of the usage of said word, I cannot explain it, but when people actually go and say it out loud like when someone trips or ****s up in a song, it erks me...

Some real internet nerds that I have known started saying words (years ago) normally only typed out loud and it really got to me, don't know why. Hopefully it is going to be a fad that will pass in time, but I fear that will not be the case...

It irks me when people cant spell irk right

and yes i just did double check with google
FTW is actually was from the eighties, I remember seeing an early photo of Metallica. James shirt had it on it.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by Blackwaterson89
FTW is actually was from the eighties, I remember seeing an early photo of Metallica. James shirt had it on it.

Except that probably meant "Fuck The World" rather than "For The Win"
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by The_Mariner
Pop culture is changing, nerdism is considered "cool" now but only in certain degrees. Also most people don't know where alot of the language they are using originates from anyway. If they did then i believe it would be a very different story.

THE GAME does not exist btw...there's no rule 34 of it.

ORLY?

If that breaks the rules, I'll take it down.
Memes are retarded on the internet. In real life there aren't even words to describe how lame they are.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by CFH82
Except that probably meant "Fuck The World" rather than "For The Win"

I did not know that it meant anything other then Fuck the World.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by JDbbx
AIDS?

No, the Bubonic Plague.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I don't really mind it, but I can understand why others cringe at the verbal use of internet phrases.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
So my question is. Why the HELL are these things now emerging in speech?

Exposure. The more publicity the chans got, the more it bled into more tonned-down site like Ebaums world. When sites like this grew in popularity more people adopted the phrases.

Still makes me grind my teeth when people use it in everday speech though.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
The second paragraph will surprise you:

A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with "scream") is a postulated unit of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. (The etymology of the term relates to the Greek word μιμητισμός ([mɪmetɪsmos]) for "something imitated".) Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes, in that they self-replicate and respond to selective pressures.

The British scientist Richard Dawkins coined the word "meme" in The Selfish Gene (1976) as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catch-phrases, beliefs (notably religious beliefs), clothing fashion, and the technology of building arches.

Remember that you guys are talking about Internet memes, not memes in general.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by longman240

Oh, this all the way. If any of these fucking people knew where these things came from they most definitely wouldn't be saying them. It really pisses me off inside, now that I think about it.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by JDbbx
AIDS?

I had to think about that for a few seconds, but now I can't stop laughing.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by ikitson

You just made my day, I never thought the day would come where a politician would say that, but I guess that's the South for you.
yeah its weird how people say things that they may have picked up somewhere else, shocking ain't it
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I kind of started The Game at my middle school......I regret it almost everyday...
PSN: Pancakehead3

Add me and say you're from UG
Quote by Pancakehead
I kind of started The Game at my middle school......I regret it almost everyday...

EXACT same thing for me...

hootEDIT:

Quote by Spartan101400
You just made my day, I never thought the day would come where a politician would say that, but I guess that's the South for you.

Slappa tha bass
Last edited by hootie37 at May 28, 2010,
Because it started as an exclusive internet subculture and the /b/tards brought it out into the real world. You have no one to blame but yourselves.
We don't bleed when we don't fight.
Go ahead, go ahead throw your arms in the air tonight.
We don't bleed when we don't fight.
Go ahead, go ahead throw our shirts in the fire tonight.
This book does a better job of explaining memes than I could.

"Meme" isn't just a word that applies to stupid bits of internet culture. It was coined by Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene to describe a second replicator that consists of observed and mimicked thoughts, ideas, or mannerisms that may not serve a direct role in preservation of genes, but develops a social equilibrium.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Last edited by SubjectNameHere at May 29, 2010,
What's the point of posting about Dawkins in here when this is a thread specifically about internet memes? Like most internet terminology, it's linked to the original usage but still entirely seperate.

Ah well, at least now we're all very aware you've read at least one non-fiction book.
Quote by red157
What's the point of posting about Dawkins in here when this is a thread specifically about internet memes? Like most internet terminology, it's linked to the original usage but still entirely seperate.

Ah well, at least now we're all very aware you've read at least one non-fiction book.

I looked douchier in that post than I intended to...

The title of the thread was "memes in culture." The Meme Machine does a really good job of explaining a very interesting theory on what memes are and how they function in culture, along with a sociobiological view. The internet is a part of modern culture, therefore I thought that was relevant. Sorry if I came across as snobbish, I didn't mean to.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Page 1 of 2