What amp wattage is good for large gigs or school concerts? I'm thinking right now a 100w, Peavey Vypyr, what do you think? (I am at a strict budget of $200-$400)
Ibanez IJX121
50 watts enough from my experiance
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
At minimum? I'd say... 80w SS, 30-50W tube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It really depends on the amp. My Orange Thunderverb 50w smokes my friends 120w Fender.
-Ibanez js1200
-Epiphone Les Paul w/ Invader in bridge
-Alvarez acoustic
-Orange Thunderverb 50w w/ 1x12 cab
-Vox Satchurator
-Ibanez ts-9
-Pod x3
-Apple Logic Studio

www.purevolume.com/stoplooklisten
the vypyr's are very loud, i've done a gig in my school atrium(which is quite big) with my 30 watt, and i didn't even put it past 5, and it goes to 13. so a 100 watt might be a bit overkill, a 75 may suit you better.

if you're looking into the vypyr's though, check out the tube 60, it's a similar price to the 100 watt, but with tubes in it, which will give you a better tone.
at a school talent show, you'll be mic'ed anyways, so any amount will do, i've seen bands at my school playing with 15w SS fender practice amps, and I've played there with a 40w tube amp, and both sounded good through the PA

if you can't be mic'ed though, I'd say 100w solid state (50 might do, but it depends on the amp, a 75 might or might not cut as well)
as for tube, 30w is enough
Quote by richie7410
the vypyr's are very loud, i've done a gig in my school atrium(which is quite big) with my 30 watt, and i didn't even put it past 5, and it goes to 13. so a 100 watt might be a bit overkill, a 75 may suit you better.

if you're looking into the vypyr's though, check out the tube 60, it's a similar price to the 100 watt, but with tubes in it, which will give you a better tone.

Thanks! I may consider the tube 60.
Ibanez IJX121
Wattage confuses many people.

My Carvin V3 can run at 50w or 100w, yet there is only a 3db difference in volume, that's almost nothing. It just allows earlier breakup for my tubes.

My Orange Rocker 30w, is almost, or equally as loud as my Carvin as well. It's all about breakup after about 30w. Heck, I played a show with a 15w Epi.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
I'd say the 75w Vypyr would be quite proficient
there is also a used Vypyr Tube 60 for just under $400 on Musician's Friend, and their not much more new if you can manage to stretch a little bit
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at May 28, 2010,