Hi

I have been playing about a year and have begun diving into song writing and gigging with a band I set up

Now we rarely get places that fit more than 150/200 people, but I was looking for Amps that would easily compete with drums, rythym and bass without drowning out the vocals

So here's a few questions / notes

- I'm intrested in getting an amp with a good core tone (has to be tube) and adding effects and distortions with pedals. I have been looking at an Orange Rocker (30w) and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40w) and I was wondering has anyone had experience with them and could comment on their volume relative to my needs

- Would a 15w Orange Tiny Terror or Fender Blues Junior be loud enough?

- Im not looking to spend more than €700, and I will try them out before buying, i'm just concious of the noise levels and perhaps problems that aren't immediatley noticable

- How nessecary is an FX loop for adding effects in general, but especially delays and phasers

- Wrong forum I know, but any Ideas for cheap yet effective home recording equipment?

So far I have a Mexican Strat, a shitty 15w Vyper amp, no pedals and €300 (self funded, 17 still in school, so i have to work over the summer to fund this stuff)
So I'm trying to get the best possible value for my cash

Thanks all replies
The Vypyr isn't so shitty, you know.

What styles of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
get the fender hot rod deluxe, it's awesome (however you may want to get a stompbox like the ts9 for drive)
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe has amazing clean sounds, you'll need pedals for distortion though.

The Rocker 30 is also a very good amp, decent distortion, the cleans only sound good if you have a good guitar, because it has that 'natural' channel instead of an actual clean channel, which means that there are no valves in the pre-amp, meaning it's just the natural sound of the pickups in your guitar, Mexican Strat should be OK.

The Blues Junior is also worth looking at if you were to buy a Distortion pedal too, it should be loud enough for most situations.

The TT would probably be loud enough for small gig, in my opinion it sounds terrible though (no pun intended).

FX loops are nice, although they're not completly vital, back in the good old days they didn't even exist, things sounded fine then. But it's ideal if the amp does have an FX loop, because the more pedals you put infront of your amp the more good tone is lost. The Hot Rod has an FX loop, the Rocker 30 dosn't.

Also, the Rocker 30 is being discontinued very soon, infact I think they've already stopped making them, so your only hope is that somebody already has one in stock. They are being replaced by a line of amps called 'thunder', which are made in China instead of England.

I can't help you with home recording.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Raijouta
The Vypyr isn't so shitty, you know.

What styles of music do you play?

Well fair enough, we all have different tastes, I just dis-like it, it is a very good experimental practice amp for the price, just has a bad tone imo

I'm very Rock orientated, but the band is and intresting mix of Dance or House clashed with Blues and Funk Rock

If you could imagine Daft Punk and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers join forces

I'm looking for warm cleans and smooth overdrives and using pedals to build cool sounds upon

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe has amazing clean sounds, you'll need pedals for distortion though.

The Rocker 30 is also a very good amp, decent distortion, the cleans only sound good if you have a good guitar, because it has that 'natural' channel instead of an actual clean channel, which means that there are no valves in the pre-amp, meaning it's just the natural sound of the pickups in your guitar, Mexican Strat should be OK.

The Blues Junior is also worth looking at if you were to buy a Distortion pedal too, it should be loud enough for most situations.

The TT would probably be loud enough for small gig, in my opinion it sounds terrible though (no pun intended).

FX loops are nice, although they're not completly vital, back in the good old days they didn't even exist, things sounded fine then. But it's ideal if the amp does have an FX loop, because the more pedals you put infront of your amp the more good tone is lost. The Hot Rod has an FX loop, the Rocker 30 dosn't.

Also, the Rocker 30 is being discontinued very soon, infact I think they've already stopped making them, so your only hope is that somebody already has one in stock. They are being replaced by a line of amps called 'thunder', which are made in China instead of England.

I can't help you with home recording.

Well I was considering the Blues Junior with a Z. Vex distortron and a 2-3 overdrives
Or spend the extra 200 on the Hot Rod and cut down to one overdrive

Yeah and most people I've asked who know both prefer the fenders

Thanks man
Last edited by NewBornProdigy at May 28, 2010,
Quote by NewBornProdigy
Well fair enough, we all have different tastes, I just dis-like it, it is a very good experimental practice amp for the price, just has a bad tone imo

I'm very Rock orientated, but the band is and intresting mix of Dance or House clashed with Blues and Funk Rock

If you could imagine Daft Punk and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers join forces

I'm looking for warm cleans and smooth overdrives and using pedals to build cool sounds upon

The Orange is probably more suited to you then, thogh like I said, you'll only get that particular model is somebody already has one in stock (unless you buy used), as they are being discontinued.

Daft Punk + RHCP?! - I wanna hear that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
^the fender has a very bad overdrive channel and I found the clean channel to be actually cold...

On the other hand, I have a traynor ycv40wr that I love, the cleans are very warm, warmer than my fender twin, and its overdrive channel is actually good
you might also want to look at a vox ac15, though it won't stay clean at a higher volume...
I'd say you'd want at least 30 watts for your amp to stay clean at giggable volume
Well, that's why you hate the Vypyr. It's more of a metal/hard rock amp than a funk/blues/dance amp.

An effects loop is necessary if you plan on getting distortion from the amp. You can't run a delay before the distortion if you want clear repeats.

For an RHCP sort of sound, maybe look into the Laney VC30. The Hayden Mofo is also supposed to be very good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Daft Punk + RHCP?! - I wanna hear that.

Haha yeah man, we'll see how the home recording plan goes and you might

Well thanks for the recommendations, So I got to look at:

-traynor ycv40wr
-vox ac15
-Laney VC30
-The Hayden Mofo

I don't mind a bit of break up in the cleans at high volumes, I actually love that about tubes

So for my use's I'd say an FX loop might be handy
I played through a Mofo the other day, I'd been waiting ages to have a go on one, I had really high expectations... The cleans are decent, the OD sucked, it's also only one channel, it has a strange 'FX loop' that only has one hole and works with split 'Y' cables. I wouldn't buy one... saying that, it's definatly better than an Orange Tiny Terrible.

Also I very much doubt that you need 4 different distortion pedals all running at once? Maybe you do, I doubt it though.

If you're going Fender, it's worth going for the Hot Rod rather than the Blues Junior, if you can afford it.
Quote by FuzzLove
I played through a Mofo the other day, I'd been waiting ages to have a go on one, I had really high expectations... The cleans are decent, the OD sucked, it's also only one channel, it has a strange 'FX loop' that only has one hole and works with split 'Y' cables. I wouldn't buy one... saying that, it's definatly better than an Orange Tiny Terrible.

Also I very much doubt that you need 4 different distortion pedals all running at once? Maybe you do, I doubt it though.

If you're going Fender, it's worth going for the Hot Rod rather than the Blues Junior, if you can afford it.

Well fair enough 4 is a bit much haha, but I was looking for a smooth overdrive (Bad monkey? maybe) a rocky distortion kinda for solo boost (distortron) and a high gain metal one for that 'aerodynamic' kinda sound (MXR fullbore metal)

But the overdrive might not be nessecary with a decent amp

Well the Traynor and Laney look good, just me being in Ireland they might be hard for me to find and try out

Noted about the hot rod
Laney's based in the UK, so you shouldn't have too many problems finding some...

peavey classic 30/50 might be good also ? bogner alchemist (used) ?

Actually, if you look used, you can get a fender twin amp or twin reverb, which would be perfect if you want a clean platform, that'd be a 100w tube amp, switchable to 25, with a passable distortion channel =) maybe you can also find a bassman or a bassman clone (traynor yba comes to mind)
Last edited by Darkflame at May 28, 2010,
Quote by FuzzLove
I played through a Mofo the other day, I'd been waiting ages to have a go on one, I had really high expectations... The cleans are decent, the OD sucked, it's also only one channel, it has a strange 'FX loop' that only has one hole and works with split 'Y' cables. I wouldn't buy one... saying that, it's definatly better than an Orange Tiny Terrible..

You need a footswitch to access the 'Mofo' part of it, though, which is what gets the drive really sounding good IIRC.

Also check out the Laney LC30, OP, it's a teensy bit gainier than the VC30.

^ The Alchemist needs a bunch of tweaking to get a good drive, IMO. I played one the other day and it took me awhile to really wring a clear distortion out of it. It was really dark, but the cleans were good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at May 28, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
You need a footswitch to access the 'Mofo' part of it, though, which is what gets the drive really sounding good IIRC.

The Mofo part is just a boost, it's not a channel, I used that too, still thought it sounded abit weak.

I think a Fender Twin of some kind would be the best bet.
Well if I go fender it'll probably be the hod rod, cause the twin reverbs are way to pricey and big for what I want (used I'm finding them around €850, new €1200)

I'll take a look at the Laney aswel
Right I was looking around

My choices have settled on

Laney VC30 210
-€589
-FX loop
-2 Channels
-30W
-Good Cleans, Good Drive
-Haven't tried

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-€675
-FX Loop
-3 Channels
-40W
-Great Cleans, Average Drive
-Have Tried

Vox AC30 VR
-€475
-No FX Loop
-2 Channels
-30W
-Average Cleans, Great Drive
-Haven't Tried

Orange Rocker 30
-€777
-No FX Loop
-2 Channels
-30 W
-Great Cleans (Depending on Guitar), Great Drive
-Haven't Tried

The Vox is immediatley affordable, the Fender and Laney maybe in a month... The Orange maybe 2 months

They are all new prices, I might get them far cheaper used
The rocker will probably be gone in 2 months.

And for the record, it does use a valve for the natural channel. It just sounds shit.

OD channel is one of my personal faves though.

Lack of effects loop is an off putter though, especially since it doesnt have built in reverb.

Maybe look into the thunder 30 thats due to be released soon replacing the rocker. It's a bit cheaper than the rocker too. And has an effects loop.

Though i dunno what it sounds like yet. But im guessing better cleans than the rocker for a start.

The laney vc30 would suit you too. Takes pedals awesome, clean tone is awesome, driven tone is a bit meh. Much better than the hot rod overall, though i do like the hot rod.
My AC15CC1 could be heard (clean) in a 200-300 people study hall with drums and bass. Nothing mic'd. It was modded, and you would also probably want some more headroom though in case.
Have you looked at the AC30C2? Apparently they're supposed to be quite good, haven't looked at them yet though.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!