Ok, so basically im on the hunt for a new axe. I'd prefer a les paul shape, sg shape or a V, and a 24.75 scale neck (i got small hands ). Im not too fussed about the manufacturer. i'm into thrash metal, death metal, melodeath, bits of metalcore here and there. I can go up to about 450GBP, which is about 650 USD i think. EMGs would be a bonus but not needed, as long as i can get a good (see genres above) sound.
Last edited by azzman1337 at May 28, 2010,
only problem with such a short scale is it can be a bit mushy-sounding which isn't really what you want for high gain. i'm not sure of any 24.5" scale ones (unless prs se does one), but there are plenty of 24.75" (actually i think it's more like 5/8" but it's always called 3/4 for some reason) scale length guitars around....
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
24.75 then, i got a 25.5 and some stretches are a bit difficult for me so the scale below that one or simply the scale that a les paul traditionaly has, which is a 24.75 i think?
I think this guitar pretty much fits everyone of your needs
the ESP/LTD EC-401
its 24-3/4" scale
Les Paul Shaped
Has EMG's which great for metal and the styles you play
and it's $650 brand new, which is right in your price range.

For nother $200 you could get the EC-1000 deluxe but their isn't too much of a difference from what I understand. Heres the link
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-401-Electric-Guitar-580199-i1435799.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=439916153
Quote by azzman1337
24.75 then, i got a 25.5 and some stretches are a bit difficult for me so the scale below that one or simply the scale that a les paul traditionaly has, which is a 24.75 i think?

Hey man, I had a Les Paul originally, and I was really sketched about about getting a 25.5 scale guitar, too because I have small hands. But not so long after making the change, I can make the same stretches I could on 24.75. If you find a guitar you like, get it. Don't worry about the scale because you'll get used to it eventually.

Hell, I'm even thinking about getting a 27" scale guitar in the future.

For that price range, I'd recommend ESP LTD (Their EC line should fit nicely with what you like) or PRS SE. I don't particularly like Ibanez, but a lot of people seem to like them, and they have plenty of guitars in that range.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by azzman1337

if you've tried any and they're not too big, 25" would be worth considering- bit easier stretch than 25.5", but a bit tighter tone than 24.75". PRS SEs are 25", i think, as are ibanez sz (they might be discontinued, though, and i think they're 25.1"). If you're willing to go used, you could probably pick up a 1990s patrick eggle for around your budget if you're easy on the model. It won't be either of the shapes you want, though (far as I know they're 25" scale too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what are the epiphone prophecy models like? i know that epiphone get a lot of jip about the lower price models but they fit my needs nicely, and i like the look of the futura model...
I have the small hands issue also..I found 24" scale guitars to be a blast to play..I use Hi Gain...Wampler Triple Wreck,,,sounds Awsome
Jimmy
Durango Guitar Works
Short Scale Guitar
I went from a Strat to an LP, and I have to tell you, it is so much more comfortable and easy to play on the smaller scale and I do not have what would be considered small hands, just average.

If anything it sounds better, because I am able to hit certain stretches better and cleaner.

As for the Guitars, I would seriously consider that ESP posted up above, it meets all your needs.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Alright. Looks like our US friends are forgetting that in guitars $1 = £1.
Have a look at Tim Ellis' Vs. they start at £299 with Wilkinson pups so an upgrade still won't break the bank. But try the Wilko's first as they are pretty good. He has no SGs at the moment but there are lots of ideas to be had in his 'for sale' page. i.e. Explorer, Wolfgang and PRS types. The majority have 24 3/4 scale and are light but very resonant. Mate of mine has a Hollowbody Mantis with JB/59 pups and it plays like a dream (and was still under your target price)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

when I got my first LP I went from playing an Ibanez RG that was 25-1/2", when I switched to the 24-3/4" Les Paul I actually found it much much easier. Even with the thicker neck, I found played fast and moving from far points on the fretboard much easier than with the Ibanez.