I've been told about "Weld-On", an acrylic cement manufactured in the USA that can be used to glue binding - it's sold by StewMac for this purpose; http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Weld-On_binding_adhesive/Weld-On_Cement.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=133

Unfortunately, no luck finding this product anywhere in the UK and it cannot be shipped over from the USA as it's classed as a hazardous substance.

Any luthiers/builders in the UK able to tell me what products they use and where it can be bought?

Thanks
I've seen some people use cyanoacrylate glues - Superglue - available at any hardware store. It dries very quickly, though.
You could also use bits of binding material dissolved in acetone.
I just use good old Bostik wood glue. It's formulated for gluing wood. You are gluing wood together. I can't see why it's not suitable!! I think you can get a stronger one that's also waterproof (in a blue bottle instead of green, IIRC) if you prefer.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thanks for the help so far.

I would be concerned about how quick superglue dries, but like the convenience of having the product to hand in a tube.

I don't really want to mess around with mixing up my own binding paste with Acetone... Anyone know if there's a product like the Acetone/Acrylic binding paste that is bought ready to use from a tube?
Why didn't I read this properly, sorry!!

I thought it was gluing fretboard to neck!

I do all my binding with superglue, as epoxy resin and the like didn't work very well. Because the plastic wasn't very rough it didn't stick all that quick anyway, so superglue did the job fine.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by -MintSauce-
You need binding cement, really. I think it's just regular plastic cement, but I'm not entirely sure. Try to find something similar to this in the UK:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Weld-On_binding_adhesive.html

This is the stuff that Ormsby uses. I've Googled it, but it doesn't look like it's available in the UK.

It probably is similar to plastic cement, as you say, but I expect it's "industrial strength". Can anyone else help?
It doesn't really need to be 'industrial strength', because it just melts the plastic then the solvent evaporates for it to set. It should glue as solidly as the binding itself. Still, I've not tried it myself. I've used superglue carefully, then binding paste to touch up. I wouldn't use superglue again though, because it sets very quickly, leaks out, and soaks into the wood - apparently preventing stain from taking to the wood.
Could you not go to Model-Zone or something like that, and get their tubes of glue from model planes and stuff like that, as per: http://www.modelzone.co.uk/paints_and_glues-glues.htm

Basically what was said up there by metalwarrior(aka bobby), only with a nice link to a shop in the UK that sell the stuff.
Last edited by abhorsen12 at May 29, 2010,
Right, I will avoid superglue (I did think it would be too fast drying) and look into plastic cement.

Found some stuff on ToneTech (UK) that looks like it might work, no product info so I've asked them for some.

Thanks everyone. I'm still a long way off glueing any binding but I didn't want to get stuck once the time comes.
Looks alright to me.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by lostcreation333
Thanks for the help so far.

I would be concerned about how quick superglue dries, but like the convenience of having the product to hand in a tube.

I don't really want to mess around with mixing up my own binding paste with Acetone... Anyone know if there's a product like the Acetone/Acrylic binding paste that is bought ready to use from a tube?

If you go on Axminster this glue can be got in thin, medium, thick or a gel.

I would go for a gel, as it has a 30 second handling time and a 20 second set time.

Plenty of other stuff, glues included. Tool heaven actually.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Skeet UK
If you go on Axminster this glue can be got in thin, medium, thick or a gel.

I would go for a gel, as it has a 30 second handling time and a 20 second set time.

Plenty of other stuff, glues included. Tool heaven actually.

Thanks Skeet, might give that one a go.
Quote by lostcreation333
Thanks Skeet, might give that one a go.

This one is cheaper, not so quick and Polyurethane http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Wudcare-Fast-Grab-Instant-Polyurethane-Glue-22067.htm
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
So much choice!

Titebond Instant CA, Zap-A-Gap CA+ or Fast Grab Instant PU??? Might get one each of the last two, that'll cost the same as one of the Titebond anyway.

Might do some tests and post results for future new UK builders to read.