I have a room that my band and i practice in and the acoustics in it give us this echo, and make our sound thin and shitty.

Plus it would please the neighbors to be able to hear us less.

I was thinking about putting up some blankets on the walls suspended out from the walls about an inch.

Anybody have any experience sound proofing? I dont have alot of money to buy anything fancy, im just trying to get something acceptable with what i got around the house, minus what i can get at the hardware store for like 5 bucks.
Quote by woodenbandman
As far as I'm concerned, Boogies descended from heaven on a heavenly A Major soundwave played over a choir of angels singing America/God Save The Queen and giving out free candy.

Need some change for strings? http://www.cashcrate.com/2476533
Start saving egg cartons
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Curtains and a carpet remove echo. Soundproofing would take more effort.
It can be done relatively cheap with blankets, foam and egg cartons, and while it does help, it's not going to be 100% effective.
I've been told egg cartons are a commen mis-conseption and that they dont work well because they are often holy and fall apart easy.
Quote by woodenbandman
As far as I'm concerned, Boogies descended from heaven on a heavenly A Major soundwave played over a choir of angels singing America/God Save The Queen and giving out free candy.

Need some change for strings? http://www.cashcrate.com/2476533
Quote by son of anarchy
I've been told egg cartons are a commen mis-conseption and that they dont work well because they are often holy and fall apart easy.

Depends on what they're made of. The pressed paper ones work better. They absorb some of the sound, and due to their shape, the reflected sound is dispersed in many directions, rather than right back at you as it would from a flat surface.

The "band room" in my school was sound proofed with foam and egg cartons. It worked, to an extent.
Get some pretty solid rubber foam or pillows. Throw that in the bass drum. Hell even "Tunnel" the bass drum with coats or duvets. Egg Cartons make a great cheap way to cut down on some of the frequencies that seep through to your neighbors. Blankets or duvets draped in front of windows and doors. Rubber Rings round Speaker Cones.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Go to macdonalds and ask for cupholders.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by sashki
Depends on what they're made of. The pressed paper ones work better. They absorb some of the sound, and due to their shape, the reflected sound is dispersed in many directions, rather than right back at you as it would from a flat surface.

The "band room" in my school was sound proofed with foam and egg cartons. It worked, to an extent.

The paper/cardboard ones are excellent. More so due to their angular shape than their actual composition. As far as being "holy" I'll defer that to folk more religious than I shall ever be.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
if just for removing echo, carpets and blankets, sheets are fine... however you will still sound shitty and your neighbours will hear you just as much as they do now... the thing is that carpets and sheets only absorb high frequencies (say 4kHz+) which only includes cymbals and things like that.... the result would be that the hich frequencies wouldn't echo no more (you would probably "register" it as a "dead" room or whatever) but the problem is that frequencies below 3-4kHz would still echo... guitar and bass and drums aswell would sound boomy, you would be expiriencing nulls and boosts at low frequencies... but all these things i'm telling you... you're already expiriencing them, but through whole frequency spectrum... i just want to say that damping just high frequencies wouldnt slove the problem entirely... the solution, however is in fiberglass... fiberglass absorbs frequencies from 50Hz,... this results in less noise going out of the room, plus less sound issues inside the room... you should check the garage or the loft if there's any fiberglass packed there.. ( if your dad bought too much when he isolated the house)
to be the most effective, you would need some airgap between the diberglass and the wall.. say like 10cm

well, that would be all from me! hope you find my advice helpful!

Best Regards, Serjem
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
+1 to egg cartons for improving sound. But then wont help much with actual sound proofing.

Carpet on the walls is a great idea, and so are blankets and comforters. A few inches off the wall will certainly help them block more sound. But keep in mind, any room with a lot of sound proofing, ESPECIALLY blankets and carpet on the walls, is going to turn into a fooking oven
Quote by son of anarchy

worked for Red Green

i've seen it actually work
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated