Okay so it's not a changing chords type thing, I can do that just fine. I feel like I really suck because I never really pushed myself to do anything too fast and not kids that have been playing shorter than I have can sweep pick, shred through scales, etc. My biggest problem is changing strings. I can go through scales at a decent speed, but I can't do anything with them, because I screw up when I try to go up or down to the next string, it slows me down considerably. Can anyone provide me with some drills or something to help me? I can tremolo pick and do hammer ons/pull offs just fine, just not switching strings
Quote by kh2xiii
Okay so it's not a changing chords type thing, I can do that just fine. I feel like I really suck because I never really pushed myself to do anything too fast and not kids that have been playing shorter than I have can sweep pick, shred through scales, etc. My biggest problem is changing strings. I can go through scales at a decent speed, but I can't do anything with them, because I screw up when I try to go up or down to the next string, it slows me down considerably. Can anyone provide me with some drills or something to help me? I can tremolo pick and do hammer ons/pull offs just fine, just not switching strings

Are you talking about string skipping or just moving up or down one? I really like the intro to Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother for up or down one, it's just 0-5-7 on the 4th string and then 0-5-7 on the 3rd string over and over as fast as you can. For skipping try Sweet Home Alabama. Slow as you can until it's perfect then up the tempo, as usual.
|-----5-----7-----8^------5-----7-----8^------8-----7-----5---|
|-0-0---0-0---0-0-----0-0---0-0---0-0-----8-8---8-8---8-8-----|

Practice that until you can play it easyly and then try to find some metalcore to practice on. It'll come in no time!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
take what scales you know and build sequences with them ex:thirds, four notes at a time, three notes etc. and start deadly slow and build up speed. speed and the mechanics of playing the guitar is all about muscle memory.

here is one of my personal favorites just four notes at a time move the starting note up one note after each group of four=
----------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------5-------57 etc. you get the point------
-------5------5-7-----578-578-----78--------------------------------------
-578----78-------8--------------------------------------------------------
thats an A minor scale btw
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
^ +1

That's one of the best exercises you can do for getting better at crossing strings.
String skipping used to be a big problem for me when i started off playing.
One thing you can do is break down chords note by note or if you want something a little bit more advanced

e-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------------------4-6-4--------------
A----6--6-7--6---6-7---6---6-7---7-6-4-4-6-7--------7-6-4-------
E-4----4----4---4-----4---4------4------------------------------7-6-4

This little thing i improvise with helped me with string skipping
Just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this !!! I read these threads and everything that I see that I think will help,,, I copy / paste onto a MS word doc so I can go back to it later.

Again,,, THANKS !!!!