Page 1 of 3
I usually end up sounding like Angus or Malcom Young. Sometimes Billie Joe too. Just my style I guess. I like bar chords so I guess that makes me somewhat like Kurt Cobain?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Django Reinhardt.

I wish. It's more like lil wayne.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Definately Steve Vai, he was a major inspiration to me, and now I can't get his sound out of my playing, as in interesting chords and key changes.

Also, EVH, just because I use a lot scales and tapping.

And, Satriani and Eric Johnson, whom I also can't get out of my playing, especially Johnson.
Ionian -> Mixolydian= Pure 100% win.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at May 28, 2010,
I haven't had an outside opinion, but I think that my playing is like a fusion of Adrian Smith and Dave Murray from Iron Maiden. I am pretty bluesy and I use legato a lot (probably too much, I gotta get my picking speed up).
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
My lead style is a mix between Noel Gallagher, Chuck Berry, and Jack White. Noel for a lot of melodic influence, I use a lot of Berry style double stops, and am influenced by a Jack White brand of blues. I play lead in a punk band, so it's pretty interesting I guess. Link in my sig if you want to hear

/shameless plug
I used to do this, and it was the worst thing I ever did to my playing. Once you start playing parrot, catch-up or whatever you want to call trying to come up with someone you sound like or trying to sound like someone, you can't get out without a break for a while.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I sound like a chicken with its head cut off running around KFC.........

Oh, my guitar play..........
Mine is kinda like a combination of Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci, and Paul Waggoner. My riffs usually sound someone similar to BTBAM, but I can also do early dream theater type stuff. My soloing style is similar to john petrucci's in the sense that I use a lot of tremelo picking and(at times) string skipping, but also similar to Alex Lifeson in that I like to use a chorus, delay effect, or both, and I don't use pick sweeping(although that's mostly because I'm not fond of it, since every freakin guitarist uses it now). My tapping is similar to EVH(it has the 80s metal sound instead of that neoclassical sound like most guitarists use now. But unlike sweeping, the only reason my tapping sounds like that is because i never learned neoclassical style :P)
To me, it usually sounds like a mix of BB King, David Gilmour, and Duane Allman. That is, until I kick on the ToneBender MKIII and then it's Jimmy Page.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
I play a lot like SRV (his slow stuff) mixed with B.B. King when I'm playing Blues. For Rock I play a lot like Keef for the rhythm and a cross between Tony Iommi and Santana for leads. Metal I play alot like the guys from At the Gates or Opeth, depending the mood I'm trying to set for the song. Sometimes I play a bit like Ihsahn when I want to write something more rhythm oriented.
I can't really compare it to just one guitarist. This means that I'm either unique, or that I suck. Probably the latter.

There's obvious influence of Zakk Wylde, Dave Mustaine, Randy Rhoads, Derryck Whibley, Angus Young, Phil X and Steve Vai.
Think loads of riffs, occasional extended chords, and many major and mixolydian melodic parts, all done very badly.
EDIT: Blink 182 and Sum 41 are a big influence, but more in terms of melody than guitaring technique. Also, the guy from InMe, whose name I forgot. Dave McPherson?
Last edited by sashki at May 28, 2010,
Quote by sashki
I can't really compare it to just one guitarist. This means that I'm either unique, or that I suck. Probably the latter.

There's obvious influence of Zakk Wylde, Dave Mustaine, Randy Rhoads, Derryck Whibley, Angus Young, Phil X and Steve Vai.
Think loads of riffs, occasional extended chords, and many major and mixolydian melodic parts, all done very badly.
EDIT: Blink 182 and Sum 41 are a big influence, but more in terms of melody than guitaring technique. Also, the guy from InMe, whose name I forgot. Dave McPherson?

It's good to see people that have lots of self esteem.
I have Steve Vai-ish tendency to do weird things. I'll make random chords that I don't know the names of and make up fingerpicking patterns with them, or use my middle pickup as a 30 somethingth fret, or use my metal pick as a slide. Just out of the ordinary things like that.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by SlayingDragons
It's good to see people that have lots of self esteem.

I listen to fucking Blink 182 and Zakk Wylde. There's a physical limit as to how good I can actually be.

I'm a very sloppy player and I'm not at the level I'd like to be at. If I go around comparing my playing to Steve Vai and all those people, that would just be being arrogant.
Last edited by sashki at May 28, 2010,
My style is like Dave Mustaine meets Jesper Stromblad meets Thomas Erak meets Eric Clapton, all at a funeral.
Slappa tha bass
My lead playing is like Tony Iommi, but much worse.
My rhythm playing sounds like a mix of Alex Lifeson and Chuck Schuldiner.
I try to incorporate lots of different techniques and little things I've picked up from various guitarists, but I guess if I had to pick one person, it'd be David Gilmour, from all era's of Pink Floyd.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at May 28, 2010,
Mines a more diverse Tom Delonge.

It's very simple, and I'm not very good.

Edit:Not saying that Tom is bad.
i play like myself, i don't compare my playing to other peoples. there are people i wish i could play like but thats different
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
i play like myself, i don't compare my playing to other peoples. there are people i wish i could play like but thats different

+1
anyways off topic, if you wanted to play like someone, who would it be? (only for bass-man9712)
Quote by sashki
I listen to fucking Blink 182 and Zakk Wylde. There's a physical limit as to how good I can actually be.

I'm a very sloppy player and I'm not at the level I'd like to be at. If I go around comparing my playing to Steve Vai and all those people, that would just be being arrogant.

Well, I can relate, I'm nowhere near as good as Vai or any of the guys I mentioned, those are just the people my style sounds like.

And I don't think any real guitar player is content at their skill level. Everyone is always trying to get better, even if they're already deemed the best.

Quote by almario1402
+1
anyways off topic, if you wanted to play like someone, who would it be? (only for bass-man9712)

yay i get my own question

uhhh probably David Gilmour for the soulful playing but also Randy Rhoads for kinda the same but alot faster lol
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I'm a mix of Chris Broderick, Marty Friedman, Syn Gates, Slash and Hizaki from Versailles
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
I'm always comin up with my own riffs & lookin back on them I think that Duff McKagan & Krist Novoselic have probably influenced me the most
Quote by LzAn2424
page, hendrix, clapton.

i likie the blues

good god, thats so cliche!

for me, it's gotta be Bernard Sumner. he wasn't fantastically technical, but the magic of his playing was being able to evoke such deep emotion via such simple playing. all barre chords, power chords, and single notes. after that, probably Bill Harkleroad because his his spindly toned slide playing sounds so playful and free.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
A mix between Synyster Gates (go on, flame me up) and Jeff Ling of Parkway Drive.

It's an odd mix.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

I'd have to say my style of playing is sort of a cross between Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones and Alec Baldwin.

Try to swim without getting wet - I dare you.
Quote by slipknot5678

Edit:Not saying that Tom is bad.

... you should be.

Quote by crazy8rgood
I try to incorporate lots of different techniques and little things I've picked up from various guitarists, but I guess if I had to pick one person, it'd be David Gilmour, from all era's of Pink Floyd.

Dude, I absolutely cannot prevent myself from asking this anymore... who is that in your avatar? Every time I see it I think it's Jimmy Page, but I know it isn't. Who is that?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 28, 2010,
Page 1 of 3