a neck thru guitar or a set neck guitar? i know neck thru would give more benefits, but im gonna be doing my first build this summer and i want to know whats easier. i dont wanna do bolt on. so what is easier to do? by the way, i have prior woodworking experience so im not a complete idiot to this. Mucho gracias!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
for building, I would think a neck through would be easier
Last edited by mashedpotatoes at May 28, 2010,
I don't know if there is really an easier way, a neck-through both has some advantages, such as usually better sustain and stability, but it requires longer pieces of wood and more room. With a set neck, for the best possible performance, you are going to want a very precise neck pocket, and there is the fact that although tough, it is possible to remove the neck (albeit harder than a bolt-on)

So in the end, it comes down to what you feel more comfortable building.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
ok well, i feel most comfortable with the method that has room for minor errors. obviously you dont want errors but if set necks are like, you cut the neck pocket 1mm too long and its ****ed, then id go neck thru. is there anything other than longer pieces of wood for neck thrus that i should know about? also, about how long would a neck thru neck need to be?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
It would theoretically need to be as long as a set neck or bolt in neck but with some added length about equal to the rest of the guitar.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Why not make the whole guitar just one piece? No glue, bolts, or biscuits. THAT would be incredible tone and sustain.
Yeah, but you have to factor in the fact that it would need to be a BIG piece of wood, something that would be good for both the body and neck, and the fact that if it warps...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Yeah, but you have to factor in the fact that it would need to be a BIG piece of wood, something that would be good for both the body and neck, and the fact that if it warps...

Details man. Just go to Cali, cut down a redwood(that should be a big enough piece of wood), and between a truss rod and carbon fiber rods, the neck would never warp. Just give the wood a couple hours to dry after cutting it down. Turn the rest of the tree into toothpicks.
wood takes years to air dry, unless it is kiln dried. So waiting hours, it would definitely warp, although I get what you mean by it (they have big trees)

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
This depends on what bridge you want. Hardtail or Tremolo=neck thru. Tune o matic= set neck.

This is due to the angle needed for the TOM. It can be done on a neck thru, but can be a big pain.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^^^ You could always sink the TOM into the body to reduce the angle needed.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
so if i did neck thru and TOM i would need to recess the TOM and the stop tail?
but if i did trem or hardtail i wouldnt need to do anything special?
BTW if i did a trem, how much of a pain is it to play a trem upside down? i know SRV and Jimi did it but then again they were pros. and im a teenager haha
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
so if i did neck thru and TOM i would need to recess the TOM and the stop tail?
but if i did trem or hardtail i wouldnt need to do anything special?
BTW if i did a trem, how much of a pain is it to play a trem upside down? i know SRV and Jimi did it but then again they were pros. and im a teenager haha

Take a look at a les paul from the side. The neck quite noticeably ducks backwards. The neck-thru should be completely straight, and so yeah, you have to recess the TOM to counteract that. If you just moved the stop-tail, you'd just make a steeper angle for the string, but not actually change anything else, and if you only changed the saddle part then the angle between it and the stop tail would be less desirable and you'd have less sustain I think because of the decrease in tension (The way I'm thinking about it my head anyway.)

SRV did it for comfort, I heard. So you may even find that you prefer it that way. I'd try to find a guitar with a upside down trem on it and have a play before I'd go through with it though.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
thanks man, so if i understand correctly: i dont have to recess the stop tail, if i place it further back.
well, im a lefty so finding a guitar with an upside down trem wont be a problem hahaha
although depending on if my budget changes, ill probably end up going with TOM/Stoptail
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe