4 12%
TS9DX
13 39%
HARDWIRE TUBE OVERDRIVE
6 18%
SOMETHING ELSE (post in thread)
10 30%
Voters: 33.
Guitar: Ibanez RG2EX1 (everything stock), and a Schecter C-1 Artist II (stock)
Amp: Blackstar HT-5 and also a POD that I don't use much
What I play: Lamb of God, Dream Theater, The Black Dahlia Murder, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Scale the Summit

I love the OD on my amp, especially when it's cranked. But if I want to get some TBDM tones, it ain't happening. So I'd like a OD pedal that can get me a good metal rhythm and also something to use for my lead work. I've considered the MXR GT-OD, Ibanez TS9DX, Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive...

I love the sound of the MXR but that'll cost me like 110 USD because I'll have to get it from eBay and shipping to Japan is expensive. I'd rather purchase from MusiciansFriend, where I'll get free shipping from a APO/FPO address. I like the TS9DX because of the different modes you can get. I'm considering the Hardwire because I like and trust that series. However, every YT video I see of it doesn't really do any metal so I'm worrying that it may not have enough gain.

Any other suggestions? Try to keep the price under 200 USD please.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
go original with the ibanez ts9 i have one and it sounds great...the ts9dx i guess is the same but yeah in the store i had the boss sd1, ibanez ts9 and the hardwire tube next to eachother...the hardwire tube has this thing called mod mode and it sounds awsome but i still like the sound of the ts9 better because it sounded brighter with more bight for the music u play
King of Shred

Gear:
ESP LTD F-500
Takemine G-340 Acoustic
Ibanez SR505
Ibanez GSR200
Line 6 Spider III 75
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
Laney GS412LA Cab
Peavey VK100
Go for the TS9. The TS9DX just adds extra modes that add low end, not what you want in a metal boost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You don't use an OD on the clean channel to get metal, you use it on top of the amp's distortion to get more gain.

Any of those would be good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
You don't use an OD on the clean channel to get metal, you use it on top of the amp's distortion to get more gain.

Any of those would be good.

I know..

I just don't know which pedal will give me the tone/texture I want.

He will be missed.
^ You said the Hardwire didn't have enough gain.

As for texture/tone, you can't really find that out unless you look up clips of people with HT-5s and different ODs, and even then they're using different pickups, speakers, etc than you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Based on what kind of gear you already have, there are several ODs in your price range that would work well for the tones you want. I think one of the main things to consider as well is the noise associated with each. My BB Preamp gives awesome lead boosts that sound astonishingly smooth, but is pretty noisy as far as OD pedals go. I'd look into something known for being low-noise if you don't want to drop more money on a noise suppressor like an NS-2 or a Decimator.

That said, tone is probably more important to you anyways. Some great sounding pedals that I'd look into are:

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Maxon OD808
MI Audio Blues Pro
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez TS-808
Maxon OD9
Blackstar HT-BOOST
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Based on what kind of gear you already have, there are several ODs in your price range that would work well for the tones you want. I think one of the main things to consider as well is the noise associated with each. My BB Preamp gives awesome lead boosts that sound astonishingly smooth, but is pretty noisy as far as OD pedals go. I'd look into something known for being low-noise if you don't want to drop more money on a noise suppressor like an NS-2 or a Decimator.

That said, tone is probably more important to you anyways. Some great sounding pedals that I'd look into are:

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Maxon OD808
MI Audio Blues Pro
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez TS-808
Maxon OD9
Blackstar HT-BOOST

Don't buy it. It's an awful pedal, build quality-wise.

Go with an OD 9 instead and do the resistor swap. Much better that way.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Raijouta
^ You said the Hardwire didn't have enough gain.

As for texture/tone, you can't really find that out unless you look up clips of people with HT-5s and different ODs, and even then they're using different pickups, speakers, etc than you.

Well that was an assumption based on YouTUbe clips. I don't know for sure.

He will be missed.
Have a look at the Rothwell Hellbender or Switchblade and also the Wampler Plextortion of Triple Wreck.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Don't buy it. It's an awful pedal, build quality-wise.

Go with an OD 9 instead and do the resistor swap. Much better that way.

Never heard that before. I just know it has a more usable sweep in the tone knob than the stock TS808 I tried, and sounds great both boosting an amp and by itself.

Is the wiring bad, or the switch breaks, or what?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
GT-OD. Best one I've used with my HT-5.
The TS9DX sounds horrible IMHO.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I can't say enough good things about the Paul Cochrane Tim. It's an OD plus a boost, so you get a lot of versitility. It is also free of the 'mid-hump' associated with most ODs - a good thing in my opinion.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Look into A wampler Pinnacle...Wampler pedals rock.
Jimmy
Durango Guitar Works
Short Scale Guitar
Quote by ibz_bucket
Never heard that before. I just know it has a more usable sweep in the tone knob than the stock TS808 I tried, and sounds great both boosting an amp and by itself.

Is the wiring bad, or the switch breaks, or what?

Quote by AnalogMan Website
Maxon OD-808 mods

We have worked on the Maxon OD-808 and now offer our 808/SILVER mod for it. The Maxon OD-808 is actually a TS-10 circuit (uses TS9/TS10 output section) so it takes some serious work. The circuit boards are a little fragile, like the 2003+ TS9s, so we have to be very careful so as not to damage them.

He used to completely refuse to mod them, but I guess that's changed in the last 6 months or so.

Basically it's not a TS808 circuit. It sounds like it, but it's not. The OD 9 is built more solidly and can be changed to a TS808 circuit by just swapping 2 resistor values in the output buffer.

If you want a cheaper TS808 sound, pick up a used Ibanez TS9 for $70 and put $2 worth of resistors in it. Boom, classic tone.

I dunno, it sounds good so if that's all that matters to you, go ahead and buy one. I highly value build quality in all my purchases, though, and when I went to demo an OD808 at Long and McQuade I ended up walking away with a Fulltone OCD instead since the 808 felt much lighter and cheaper in my hand than my Ibanez and I just couldn't wrap my head around it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I really don't know enough about pedals and modding to do what was mentioned above. Who can give me more info on the Hardwire? The youtube videos, for the most part, use it for the clean channel and use low gain settings. I want to know if this thing can get metal as a boost for my OD channel on my amp.

He will be missed.
Recently got a Digitech Tone Drive Overdrive, so far it seems to be nice and versatile, boarding on a distortion pedal though.
i like the sound i can get out of it and has plenty of gain.

I would have got a Ibanez Tubescreamer, but this was on sale for $17 from $189 (AUD)
so it was an easy choice.
ocd
guitar: MIM fender strat
amp: fender blues jr.
pedals:EB wah, korg pitch black, boss bd-2, fd2m, line 6 dl4, boss dd5 w. fs5u. EB JR vp,
Quote by LEPIV
I can't say enough good things about the Paul Cochrane Tim. It's an OD plus a boost, so you get a lot of versitility. It is also free of the 'mid-hump' associated with most ODs - a good thing in my opinion.

The Tim is great but the lack of mid hump is exactly what you don't want in a metal boost. The mid hump tightens everything up while boosting the gain. Keeping all the low end intact will cause a flubby mess. The Tim can cut low end but IMO not enough for a metal boost. I love it as a stand alone OD and I'll probably pick one up in a few days.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Why about the Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion?
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Last edited by 1ArmyGuitar at May 30, 2010,
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
Why about the Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion?

Well because then I'd have to use it on my clean channel put really I just want a boost for the OD I already have.

He will be missed.
keeley flexi?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by larrytheguitar
Well because then I'd have to use it on my clean channel put really I just want a boost for the OD I already have.

no just keep the gain down and level up to boost it, I believe.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
no just keep the gain down and level up to boost it, I believe.

Really? I wasn't aware that distortion pedals could be used as a boost. Would it be noisy?

And to the T Rex guy, am I crazy, or did you delete your old post and post again? Because I'm SURE I saw the T Rex suggestion in another area on the thread.

Whatever.

He will be missed.