I'm looking at getting some guitar instruction dvds, and I was wondering if it's better to get one by Trooch or Paul?
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
If you're trying to find a way to really nail specific techniques, then probably Petrucci. But, for learning how to construct cool, musical licks and solos, Gilbert has the upper hand there.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Petrucci is it man....
besides he has way more schooling in music, and thus might help you a bit more.
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
I prefer Paul's way with words, but Petrucci's got him beat in every regard except alternate picking (I give Paul that one 'cause they've got comparable speed, but Paul doesn't anchor). You can find Petrucci's Rock Discipline online. I think it's still on Google video even.
Quote by Geldin
I prefer Paul's way with words, but Petrucci's got him beat in every regard except alternate picking (I give Paul that one 'cause they've got comparable speed, but Paul doesn't anchor). You can find Petrucci's Rock Discipline online. I think it's still on Google video even.

Listen to the intro arpeggios in The Glass Prison. Some of the most ridiculous alt. picking ever. Anchoring or not, it's incredible.

TS, both John and Paul have extensive knowledge of music and guitar and would help you immensely. Get both.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Both of these guys are great. But check out the contents of them before you buy (assuming that is your intention). I have the DVDs for Paul's last two albums and they are pretty awesome at breaking down his techniques and showing how its done but they will be kinda useless if you aren't a big fan of his last two albums.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by Geldin

I'd say on alternate definitely Paul. But not becouse he doesn't anchor, but becouse of the sound he gets (well, thanks to not anchoring in part). When Petrucci alternate picks I hear the pick waaaay too much, all the time. Paul however can get a variety of tones with it.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Quote by tryhonesty
besides he has way more schooling in music, and thus might help you a bit more.

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well, i would personally go with gilbert. his teaching is very easy to understand. he breaks it down so that anybody can understand. theres nothing wrong with petrucci though.
Classical Guitarist
PG is a *far* better teacher than Petrucci. On the other hand, Petrucci's Rock Discipline is better structured.

But you should really mention what you are looking for in the DVD. PG has released many, many videos. The album based ones are useless for technique, but nice to get some tips on composition/licks, or at least to get an idea of how he writes his songs. If you are a PG fan you will love them. (I shouldn't say 'them', I've only watched the GOOMY one, but I imagine the other one is similar)
Petrucci's DVD is great but it takes a while to really get to the point IMO.

If I were you, I would get Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock DVDs because they're much easier to understand, gets to the point faster and feels more relaxed than Rock Discipline.

Intense Rock will focus more on being musical with technique involved while Rock Discipline is almost strict focus on technique. Both are great teaching tools but overall, I prefer Intense Rock.