I'm ready to purchase a real amp after spending more then a year with my vibro champ
I'd like a an amp with effects loop
I'm not sure if I need 2 channels .....some guitarists run 2 different compressors in a split channel I'm not sure if the amp needs to be 2 channel for that

I was looking at the HIWATT DR 103 and PEAVEY 6505+
I also listened to one the big Marshalls but it didn't sound good to me with the built in distortion
not that I'm planing on using a built in distortion but still
I like the 6505+ much better

Now the Hiwatt is the most expensive and it's ideal for the Gilmourish brown sound but I'm not sure if it's worth the price, I'm sure that with a less expensive amp like the 6505+ a similar sound could be achieved....or am I wrong

I have no experience with big amps at all so I'd like to get some opinions and suggestions ....any other amps to look at ?
Budget?

When you're talking about 'brown sound' you're talking about Eddie Van Halen, not David Gilmour.

Whose sound do you want - David Gilmour or Eddie Van Halen? You can achieve neither of the two's sound with the 6505, by the way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Budget?

When you're talking about 'brown sound' you're talking about Eddie Van Halen, not David Gilmour.

Whose sound do you want - David Gilmour or Eddie Van Halen? You can achieve neither of the two's sound with the 6505, by the way.

I dunno, the 6505 does EVH...

Brown Sound traditionally refers to EVHs tone, which was based on a cranked, non master volume 70s Marshall Superlead. This setup today is pricey and not in any way home friendly volume wise (in fact, I wouldn't recommend it because of the sheer volumes required to produce OD). We'll need:

Budget?
Location?
Willing to go Used?
Some Influences/Tones you want to achieve?

and we'll be able to help.
Quote by Raijouta

The 6505 is the exact same amp as the 5150. You know, the one Eddie is famous for using?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
^i've actually read that eddie put his marshall inside the peavey head cab... and its very believable he'd do something funny like that. haha...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Doodleface
The 6505 is the exact same amp as the 5150. You know, the one Eddie is famous for using?

The 6505/5150 doesn't sound like the Brown sound to me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
The 6505/5150 doesn't sound like the Brown sound to me.

Agreed. Although there's a lot to be said for the tone stack and transformers of an amp, I don't think any 6L6-based amplifier can get truly close to the brown sound.

I've never tried the new 6534, but like I said, transformers, tone stack, etc make a big difference, irrespective of tubes, guitar, and even skill (I know!).

Finally, I'm confused by the OP. Do you want a brown sound or a Gilmour tone? The two are vastly different. For a Gilmour tone, go ahead and get the Hiwatt. Problem is, you're not gonna get any kind of EVH tones out of it without some serious pedal use and tweaking, and even then you will be in the ballpark at best. I think what you want is a PPIMV-equipped Marshall clone of some sort. This is a Marshall with a master volume. What's your budget like? Marsha amps comes to mind, but those are expensive...
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
^ The SLO does it well, and it's loaded with 6550s IIRC.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
^ The SLO does it well, and it's loaded with 6550s IIRC.

At least the modern ones have 5881s. But I've never actually played an SLO, only a Decatone (also using 5881s). Anyways, I made the point that there are a lot of factors affecting tone, and you're never gonna be right on the money without the same tube types. Although the SLO was based on hot-rodded Marshall tones, it (IMO) does not absolutely seek to emulate the Marshall sound. It certainly excels at slightly different things than a Marshall does.

And yes, I realize that tube types are a severely overrated aspect of amplifier sound, I do own a Rebel 30
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Doodleface

That's what I heard ... I also heard that Gilmour's tone can be called a brown tone
anyway I like Gilmours tone so I do EVH and also Satriani's tone is nice

I'm trying to sound kida similar but not trying to copy any of ths I mean it does not to be exact

I'm going to be using big muff, OD 808 and rat distortions with MXR and CS-2 compressors with Univibe and some delays, that's about it for effects
not sure which amp to get
If budget wouldn't be an issue I would go with the HIWATT but $3200 is too much
I've seen slightly used 6505's on eBay for $700 that's more reasonable
however if I could get a good used HIWATT for $1400 I would go for that
I've seen last year one go for $1400 on eBay

Also there is a brand called REEVES and they make Gilmour sounding amps
does anyone know anything about those ?

one more thing I need mention I want to go 100 W ant 50 W
Reeves is made by a guy from Hiwatt, they're supposed to be Hiwatt clones, and very good ones.

You're not really gonna hit the mark to sound like Gilmour with a modern Big Muff. Definitely not Satch or EVH, either.

Satch and EVH are both generally Marshally tones, whereas Gilmour is a Ram's Head Muff into a cranked Hiwatt, which is a tweaked Marshall tone... so what you're wanting is something Marshally, I guess.

Check out Splawn, Traynors, the Soldano Hot Rod, also maybe the Jet City JCA100, and the Blackheart Hot Head.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Raijouta
Reeves is made by a guy from Hiwatt, they're supposed to be Hiwatt clones, and very good ones.

Actually, Reeves is Hiwatt. Dave Reeves invented the Hiwatt amplifier and ran the company for several years. His handmade amplifiers were sort of a product-improved Hiwatt. They are first-rate amps, as are the Hiwatts. Unfortunately, they both cost a f&cking fortune.

If you are considering a Hiwatt for Van Halen-ish tones, you would do better to look at the Hi-Gain 50 and 100-watt models. They have better distortion.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Raijouta

You're not really gonna hit the mark to sound like Gilmour with a modern Big Muff. Definitely not Satch or EVH, either.

Check out Splawn, Traynors, the Soldano Hot Rod, also maybe the Jet City JCA100, and the Blackheart Hot Head.

I have the black russian muff ....what I read with a small resistor mod it can be made to sound like the green russian muff which is pretty close the the Ramshead muff

that's a whole lot of amps to look at ...but thanks

Quote by FatalGear41

If you are considering a Hiwatt for Van Halen-ish tones, you would do better to look at the Hi-Gain 50 and 100-watt models. They have better distortion.

Hi-Gain HIWATT is an interesting suggestion ... It can sound somewhere in middle of Gilmour and EVH ... am I right ?
Quote by metamp
Hi-Gain HIWATT is an interesting suggestion ... It can sound somewhere in middle of Gilmour and EVH ... am I right ?

It will certainly have a lot of gain, which Van Halen is now famous for. Eddie Van Halen's "Brown Sound" was the result of a Marshall 1959 SLP 100-watt amplifier cranked to the gills through a 4x12 cabinet (I don't know if he had Vintage 30s or Greenbacks in there). He used a Variac to drop the voltage so that he could overdrive the power tubes even more. I don't recommend this, though a number of people tried it in the 1980s. They started more than a few fires in the process.

Hiwatts were known more for their clean tones. They sounded great when cranked, but they were so damned loud that to really get one to sing, you just about blew the walls out of the room. The high-gain Hiwatt gives you the option of all of the classic Hiwatt tones and more modern high-gain stuff. I think it would suit you well.

Your speakers are going to have a lot to do with nuances in tone, also. David Gilmour is a longtime Hiwatt user (he has a signature Hiwatt head) and uses 4x12 cabinets loaded with Fane speakers - classic Hiwatt setup.

If you are truly a fan of EVH's sound and you are looking at expensive amplifiers, you should look at his signature EVH amp. I played through one when it first came out and the thing really is amazing. It had great cleans, great crunch and plenty of high-gain lead. It might be a viable option for you.

So in short, look at the Hiwatt High-Gain and the EVH. And if you live on a farm far away from people and police stations, then feel free to scoop up a reissue Marshall 1959 SLP and crank that sucker to 10.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You want the sound that makes people have to take a shit?

Just kidding. I find that the JVM's "orange channel" can get some tones close to Van Halen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjdygAe-x8&feature=related

It is the 205H, which is the cheapest of the JVM models (and is actually worth the price.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
^ Satch is using the JVMs now live as well, so that's a pretty good idea, actually.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Brown sound? if you are refering to EVH's brown sound, then yeah a SLO100 or SLP should do, though both amps are not home friendly. i'm sure a JCM800 could get you there. but most of his brown sound comes from his picking dynamics, if you noticed he holds the pick in a very stupid way and picks like an ape...

i've also heard he used a boss to boost his signal or something...
Quote by metamp
I have the black russian muff ....what I read with a small resistor mod it can be made to sound like the green russian muff which is pretty close the the Ramshead muff

The Ram's Head isn't that close to the Russian.

The Black Russian can be easily modded to a Green Muff? Depends on the year. Later ones ARE Green Muffs inside!

IMO, if you are going to mod a Russian BMP...replace the caps for metal film and replace the resistors for metal film. Stock ones are bad tolerance, with values +/- 20% of the written value, leaving for a very different tone than a Green Muff, even if it is one on paper.

As far as the brown sound...I have NEVER heard anyone call Gilmour's tone by that name. Always EVH.