This may be a stupid question, but for a given output wattage from an amp will it be louder on a 2x12" or an equivalent 1x12" since the power is divided between the two speakers in a 2x12" set up?
The two speakers should push more air, meaning it should sound louder. But loudness is all in the mind.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by weetadsftw
The two speakers should push more air, meaning it should sound louder. But loudness is all in the mind.

alright, i got my project thread now.

how is loudness all in the mind? do you mean 'perceived volume'. if so, it still isn't 'all in the mind', those things we perceive as 'sound' are actually vibrations in the air and that is measurable/quantifiable phenomenon.

keep going guys
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
This topic interests me, I've never owned a full 4x12, how much louder is 4 versus a 2x12?
Guitars
Amps
to me, it doesn't seem louder. just fuller.

obviously we can debate forever about whether 50w is "louder" through a 112 than a 412, but does it really matter? the small difference if any of adding an extra speaker or 2 really isnt gonna make an amp all of a sudden loud enough for a situation that it wasnt loud enough for in the first place
this topic has been discussed before, the answer can be argued different ways:

from a wattage and efficiency stand point the same amount of work will be done by a different amount speakers.

from a operational standpoint a speaker reacts differently being pushed at different volumes. a cabinet that distributes current is going to run more speakers with less power to each speaker, while a 1x12 will get the total amount of power from the amp and the speaker may be pushed into non-linear operation. this would result in a different sound that may be perceived as more or less loud.

from a perception standpoint, what you hear and how you hear it depend heavily on the environment in which you hear it in and the volume at which you hear it at. different cabs will project sound differently and can sound larger because of that. rooms can also make certain configurations sound more or less loud.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 28, 2010,
Quote by Matt15f
This topic interests me, I've never owned a full 4x12, how much louder is 4 versus a 2x12?
It will fill a room a lot better, but at the same power, it shouldn't be all that much louder.

That's what it really boils down to with this discussion. At the same power rating, volume differences aren't going to be enormous. It's all about how well a cabinet will spread the sound in a room. For example, in a large outdoor venue, a 1x10 cab won't get you very far, even at 100 watts or more (solid state, that is). It might be really loud in certain places, but it's going to get buried pretty easily by other sound. Compare this to a 4x10 cab of the same power rating, which with four times the speakers will be able to fill up space a lot better without getting buried.

Quote by gumbilicious
from a perception standpoint, what you hear and how you hear it depend heavily on the environment in which you hear it in and the volume at which you hear it at. different cabs will project sound differently and can sound larger because of that. rooms can also make certain configurations sound more or less loud.
Exactly. Environment has a massive impact on sound. Take this juxtaposition for example: I can play my amp (Fender Blues Deluxe, though that's irrelevant) in both my basement and the auditorium at my high school with the EQ the same and the volume at 2-4 and it will fill the space virtually the same amount. This is because my basement is a compressed room with carpet and furniture and what not and the auditorium is a large room that is acoustically-designed to spread out sound.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at May 28, 2010,
all i know is that my traynor 1x12 sounds RIDICULOUSLY full. big cabinet maybe
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Look at it this way.
lets just say were talking about 50watts from the amp.
1 speaker would be getting 50 watts. 2 speakers would get 25 watts each. The single speaker would be twice as loud as each individual speaker in the pair, but they have twice as many speakers...so you end up where you started.
Now what happens when they start to break up? the 2 speakers can handle twice the power as 1 speaker can handle to get the same break-up. (assuming all are identical speakers).
when a speaker starts to break up, the volume increase may not be as linear...so in that case, at the same power output, 2 speakers could be louder than 1.

As important as how MANY speakers you have, is how sensitive they are.
you can have 1 speaker that is louder @ 50 watts than 2 speakers at 100watts! If the first speaker has a sensitivity of say 103dB, and the pair of speakers has a sensitivity of 97dB, the 1 speaker will be twice as loud @ 50w as the 2 speakers at 100w.
3dB equals double the volume...as mentioned before, we don't quite perceive 3dB as double though.

SHORT answer to the question "Is a 2x12 louder than a 1x12" the answer is Maybe.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune