Page 1 of 2
How do you go about starting a conversation. I've found that I can keep one going pretty well, but have trouble starting one.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Like with a person you dont know? If so i'm not to great i just talk about something in general with what we are doing or something, if it's someone you know say whats up maybe lol? Kinda hard to explain how to talk to people...
Quote by red157
Approach a group of random strangers and enquire 'How do you go about starting a conversation? I've found that I can keep one going pretty well, but have trouble starting one.'

You'll have their interest.

Not mine.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I have the same problem. "what's up" is usually what works best for me.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by larrytheguitar
Not mine.

You responded didn't you?
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
"Hey."

It's a very effective Ice Breaker, and if it fails. He/She wasn't worth the oxygen used to say it anyway.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Gargantuan
what's up broseph.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

honestly.... this What can I say, I'm 19 and in uni. No topic in mind? "brooooooo waddup"
Just find something you both like, and start something about that. Example:
"Hey, I saw you at the football stadium with your friends yesterday, it was a pretty fun game, no?"
Awkwardly walk up to a group of people, say hi and hope I don't get yelled at. If its a girl, its usually followed by one of my friends walking up a few seconds later and saying "Hookers and Ice Cream on you this weekend"
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by StopReadingThis
I find that " 'sup " works well for me.

this. maybe talk about your surroundings or the news or a topic u know alot about like guitar but don't be a show off or anything
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
So, do you like... stuff?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Well what I do is approach a person who I wish to start a conversation with, and I say a variation of the word "Hello", this can be "Hi" or "Hey", and it doesn't hurt to add a smile.

I'm available for private tutoring.

EDIT: I mean what I do is, I look a girl up and down and I say... "How YOU doin?"

Last edited by Adam Scott at May 29, 2010,
"a/s/l?" works pretty well for me
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Ask tem a question, or make the topic of the question something about themselves. People love talking about themselves. That's the secret.
Quote by The_Casinator
Just find something you both like, and start something about that. Example:
"Hey, I saw you at the football stadium with your friends yesterday, it was a pretty fun game, no?"

"Hey buddy, I support Local Football Team, aren't they great? They've been beating Other Football Teams since the year Local Football Team were playing!"

Just ask 'so what do you do?' People love talking about themselves, and you get the added bonus of sounding like the Queen of England.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Sorry for confusion, I wasn't asking for help, I'm just curious.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Approach a girl and say "Hi, I'm a famous academy award winning director.", because just greeting them and saying your name clearly won't work... or does it???
I usually begin with a situational observation - something they're wearing, something going on around us. If nothing seems interesting enough, I skip to "How are you doing today?"

EDIT: I like how everyone assumed that this thread was about approaching a girl.
Last edited by Samdroid at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Gargantuan
what's up broseph.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

said out loud that is ****ing hilarious.

if its a girl im trying to talk to, i comment on something about their appearance. usually clothes cause thats the easiest. and try to relate to it. oh, and girls loveeeeee compliments. im sorry but its true. just dont go over the top with it cause then youll just be the creepy guy.
Quote by GoodnightHero

said out loud that is ****ing hilarious.

if its a girl im trying to talk to, i comment on something about their appearance. usually clothes cause thats the easiest. and try to relate to it. oh, and girls loveeeeee compliments. im sorry but its true. just dont go over the top with it cause then youll just be the creepy guy.

I love your hair

Can I taste it?
Quote by Philip_pepper
Ask tem a question, or make the topic of the question something about themselves. People love talking about themselves. That's the secret.

I dont
Quote by Samdroid
EDIT: I like how everyone assumed that this thread was about approaching a girl.

Yeah, like, once I approached a tree. I went "Hey... Whats up? I totally like you. You make me feel warm and, like, give me wood n' stuff..."
Quote by -Mantra-
Yeah, like, once I approached a tree. I went "Hey... Whats up? I totally like you. You make me feel warm and, like, give me wood n' stuff..."

Yeah, I dated a tree once, but she turned out to be a total birch.

HAAAYYYYOOOOOOO!
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

I know someone who has used the line "so, i just got back from Iraq" to limited success when picking up girls.The problem then is that you have to go through with it and have someone to back you up. Unless you really did just get back from Iraq.

Normally 'hi' works fine for me.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Yeah, I dated a tree once, but she turned out to be a total birch.

HAAAYYYYOOOOOOO!

ive got a man crush on you for that.
Oh yeah, mate I know what ya mean, aye? Half the time ya are at a push to talk to a fellow battler ya dunno, aye? But usually mate when I worked in retail, aye I just says to 'em "g'day, mate. How's it goin' today?" or something along those lines, cobba. Somethin' simple, aye? Keep it simple and they'll respond with somethin' simple then whatd'ya know, mate?! Soon enough ya got yourself a conversation goin', aye? You beaut!!!
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by newbie08
Oh yeah, mate I know what ya mean, aye? Half the time ya are at a push to talk to a fellow battler ya dunno, aye? But usually mate when I worked in retail, aye I just says to 'em "g'day, mate. How's it goin' today?" or something along those lines, cobba. Somethin' simple, aye? Keep it simple and they'll respond with somethin' simple then whatd'ya know, mate?! Soon enough ya got yourself a conversation goin', aye? You beaut!!!

I thiink I'm agreeing with you?

Anyway, I worked in retail sales where you have to walk up to complete strangers and charm them all day. I can chat shit about anything to anyone now and keep them amused

You just have to really listen to what they say and respond to it, rather than having some idea in your head of how the conversation will go.
Quote by newbie08

...kangaroo jack?
I don't usually start a conversation, people start conversations with me

Which is weird because I didn't know that people actually wanted to talk to an annoying cunt that will most likely take the piss out of them
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I have no problem getting into conversations, I just say something funny or random and then I talk. it's maintaining a conversation that's the hard part, I run out of subjects fast lol.

I never understood how those people do that, just maintaining a good conversation with random strangers.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
I used to do street fundraising, which involved convincing total strangers to give money to charities they'd never heard of. That's how I honed my conversational skills.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

^
I bet thats how you honed your financial state aswell. Through the "charity fundraising"
Wear a clothes peg on the lapel of your jacket, when someone asks you why you are wearing it, say 'It's a conversation piece' and explain how you find it hard to start conversations and bingo, you are now having a conversation.
Quote by -Mantra-
^
I bet thats how you honed your financial state aswell. Through the "charity fundraising"

Huh? What are you on about? I took my job very seriously.

I honed my financial state by selling crack to 11-year olds.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Page 1 of 2