Alright something thats really irking me is my lead improvising. I really want to develop the ability to write great, fast, and flavorful leads. I play a lot of death metal stuff so thats the kind of stuff im talking about. Lead playing like said Pat O'brien of Cannibal Corpse, Vogg of Decapitated, Terrance Hobbs of Suffocation, etc etc. I know that a good way to do this is to say a backing track or something like that and that im supposed to fiddle around within the key, but Im not too sure where to find some good tracks to play to and im not sure if I should practice to Metal tracks or like Blues tracks. But when I do find something i either cant seem to come up with anything too great or just sloppy. I work on technique a lot, but i guess when it comes to writing/improvising solos I need a little help. Plus what is a good way to really learn other players solos? Thanks for any advice.
Something to think about:

If you can't come up with slow tasteful phrases on the fly, how can you come up with fast ones?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
to learn other people solos, throw the song in audacity, slow it down, and play to it looking at tabs.

guitarbackingtrack.com

just search for a song that you know what key its in and find a backing track with only bass and drums, and keyboards maybe.

id recommend putting the die young - heaven and hell backing track in audacity and setting the slow keyboard part to loop. it uses the eb minor pentatonic scale i think

then just shred away. try to play across the neck not just up and down. and end phrases on root notes and add bends up to root notes.
Quote by DamienDaBaller
learn your modes

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf

I interpret this as hysterical laughter.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

well I do know all the major/minor scale and its modes as well as harmonic minor. Its just a matter of writing stuff. And I know I have to start out slow, but will writing fast stuff just come naturally after that?
Try singing what you want your lead line to sound like, then work out how to replicate that on your guitar.
I don't know how flavourful Suffocation or Napalm or Decapitated is (although Decapitated's lead was freakin fast)... but I do know how flavourful Carcass was... and how the sound adapted itself rather well with Arch Enemy. So if you want to learn that way.. then listen to it. Amott has such a nice playing style and a good penchant for melody.

Learn what he does. Then attempt it... over anything. Doesn't have to be on a metal track... doesn't have to be on a blues track. Make your own backing tracks.

Heartworks was an amazing album at the time it was made. Swansong being my other favourite but that wasn't Amott.

Bottom line... make your own backtracks... cos you'll land up soloing so much better.
Quote by Templar0220
well I do know all the major/minor scale and its modes as well as harmonic minor. Its just a matter of writing stuff. And I know I have to start out slow, but will writing fast stuff just come naturally after that?

Yeah, it will come. You simply have to train your fingers and, more importantly, your ears to find the notes you are hearing in your head.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

There's leads in Cannibal Corpse?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
^^hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this "death"metal/core. I'm a pure hardcore fan.
But for improvising solos and such, first learn a scale or two, and play by yourself, and go up and down. Not straight up and down the scale but jump around in it a bit. Ya gotta be able to jam by yourself before you can jam with others.
You need to really envision what you want your leads to sound like before you start playing them. Just run through some commonly used death metal scales, it wont take long before you find a few notes that sound good, after that you just put your rage into it and you're fingers will do the rest. At least that's how it works for me
Quote by 420metalhead
You need to really envision what you want your leads to sound like before you start playing them. Just run through some commonly used death metal scales, it wont take long before you find a few notes that sound good, after that you just put your rage into it and you're fingers will do the rest. At least that's how it works for me

Whats a death metal scale? And commonly used? Just curious....