Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows about a program that can record in real time. Basically, I want to be able to play an audio track and have whatever I'm playing on my guitar added to it at the same time. Even if it's not technically "real time recording" and it's just sync'ing up the tracks automatically, that would be HUGE help. Trying to line up tracks manually has been a pain, and even when I get it as close as I possibly can, I still hear little tempo hiccups here and there as a result of the encoding process, and it bugs me a lot...

Anyways, I'm not sure if anything like this even exists, but if it does then I would very much appreciate some guidance in the right direction...
audacity. record one track then go to your preferences and set it to play all tracks while your recording and then hit record and it should be recording while playing it in real time. you can press the mute button on a track if you dont want it to play when you record.
Pretty much any semi-pro recording software: Pro Tools, Cubase, ect.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by rickyj
audacity. record one track then go to your preferences and set it to play all tracks while your recording and then hit record and it should be recording while playing it in real time. you can press the mute button on a track if you dont want it to play when you record.

Will it actually add it to the same spot where I started playing or is it basically just letting me record along to a backing track?

EDIT:
Quote by Pencil Man
Pretty much any semi-pro recording software: Pro Tools, Cubase, ect.

I had figured that, but I was kinda hoping to not spend that much money (read: none)...
Last edited by RicoTheBeast at May 29, 2010,
it will give you 2 tracks that are lined up to where if you hit play it will play back exactly what you played into it, the new stuff you just recorded and the old track. i think you can merge 2 tracks if you want but im not sure.
^ Reaper isnt free, the trial just never runs out. a license is $60, so if you like it and use it a lot, there is no reason not to pay for it since it wont break the bank. even if it takes you a few months or year instead of 30 days to save up, it is very much worth paying for.

that said, it will do exactly what you want Rico. you just import the audio on track 1, and then have your guitar set to track 2. when you record, the first track stays as is, and the second track will record your guitar. you can use the mixer to set levels so they are balaned, and you have your recording.
Reaper is a REAL Recording Studio - it's a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) - Audacity is just basically a decent recorder. Reaper is much better suited for what you're doing - might take a little bit to learn it but these's a manual you can download for it too. Once you get it figured out you'll be able to do anything there is recording wise... It's as good IMO as Cubase, Sonar, etc.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 29, 2010,
All these programs will do what you ask. The thing you may find is that you have to sync up the track you add because although you heard it in real time, the recording within your sound chip can't send to the program as well at the same time, and this causes 'latency' in the tracks. There are ways around this, using an asio card or asio4all software, but its really not a lot of bother to slice a bit off the start of all subsequent tracks as long as you make sure to leave a decent pre-intro/count-in time to work in.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x