So I woke up today hoping to finish building my latest fuzzbox in time for band practice tomorrow, but I realized that it wasn't happening by then, so hey, let's go check out craigslist. What do you know, a wild Acoustic Control 140 appears. Use "run to seller who luckily lives nearby and capture that beeyatch" and voila:

I've been wanting to track down a vintage Acoustic Control amp for a while now, but they're rare in these parts. The 140 is a SS bass amp from the 70s that runs ~125W (from what I could find) into 4 ohms, but it is identical to Acoustic Control's 150 which is the guitar version of the same head except with reverb and tremolo. The controls are simple as you can see, 2 channels with hi/lo inputs, treble, bass, volume and a bright switch for each channel. I'll be using this badboy for both guitar and bass once I can get a cab(s).

Right after I got it, I went down to my one band's jamspace and tried it out with our guitarist's 1960A. He plugged in his Ibby Artcore hollowbody and knocked out some sweet jazz tunage and the amp sounds awesome for guitar. It's really clean, very chimy and loud, just how it should be. These were underrated back in the day, so I've read reports of these easily competing with the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro volume-wise which is nuts! Sadly, I don't have a bass cab yet, so I couldn't try it out with bass, but it should sound great. Here's a shot of the amp family:

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
i just creamed myself
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Yeah man, it sounds great.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Thin head is thin. That's one thing SS heads have over tube heads... they save alot on space/weight.

Does the Bassmaster have a speaker out jack? You could try plugging it in there.

HNAD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks bro. Well, the Bassmaster has a speaker OUT jack, but that's for connecting it to a cab. The internal speaker is connected to the chassis via RCA jacks AFAIK and my Bassmaster is only used for guitar anyways, the speaker is old and I don't want to damage it. Regardless, I can wait for a cab, it's no biggie.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

congrats - another vintage solid state amp user on the forums is always a good thing

i think we need a solid state amp thread but i can't be bothered to make one and i'm worried it might unleash hell upon the forums

I love these old solid states though, they always have the most excellent cleans, and often some uhh.. "interesting" distorted tones too which are always a bit odd but often work very well - why everyone only rates the roland JC-120 so highly yet has never even heard of some of this stuff is beyond me
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by nightraven
sweet!
hnad!

Yay, Nick approves. Thanks broseph.
Quote by Blompcube
congrats - another vintage solid state amp user on the forums is always a good thing

i think we need a solid state amp thread but i can't be bothered to make one and i'm worried it might unleash hell upon the forums

I love these old solid states though, they always have the most excellent cleans, and often some uhh.. "interesting" distorted tones too which are always a bit odd but often work very well - why everyone only rates the roland JC-120 so highly yet has never even heard of some of this stuff is beyond me

Yep, I definitely agree. A good amp is a good amp regardless of the technology. Solid state amp cleans are awesome and this one is no exception. Bass amps specifically have great cleans in general and I bond very well with them since my #1 priority is cleans and I guess that's why all of my amps are bass amps. The Traynor has me covered for tubes anyways. Thanks man.
You should totally start a SS thread, but we'd need a solid first post though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Ah, but the Acoustic Control Corporation isn't your random company, they made a lot of great bass gear back before the original company ended. Their stuff rivaled the SVT back in the day.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Andrew, HNAD! That's such a nice find!

Quote by Blompcube

I'm in... my amp has a SS preamp

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Yay John, thanks!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣