Alright, I'm not looking for advice on a new amp.

What I'm going to be looking for is advice on a boost pedal.

Now, soon, I'll be trading this guy my Ibby semihollow for a Crate v50 (This is seriously no loss for me, I don't use the guitar, it collects dust, it was a gift and it for sure not suited to my style)

So the new amp will be a Crate v50. Not a palomino.

I'm going to be in need of a pedal for a boost, because I primarily play metal. No br00tz, uber high-gain stuff. I'm into to stuff like Mastodon, Cradle of Filth, Mudvayne, Killswitch Engage, Disturbed.. So yeah, don't need an extreme amount of gain. But just enough for a little metal.

I've heard the V50 takes pedals very well. I've got a Boss DS-1, but I've used it through a few tube amps.. And it's not the greatest pedal in the world but until a I get a better one it'll do.

So, boost pedal for metal. Playing through Crate V50. No br00tz.

Budget will be about $100 I'd say. I'm attempting to save for a quality electric as well.

I'm going to search craigslist a lot. I've come across Ibanez TS9's, going for about $70-85, but I've never used one and the Daddy's Junky around here doesn't allow younger people to test pedals. (I'm only 18).

What would be my best option? If it would be a VERY good overdrive or distortion, I could possibly spend like $150 (This is all USD).

I should probably mention I don't scoop my mids. I don't like that. I keep mids around 5-7, bass 2-5, and treble is usually high around 6-8.

What kind of pedal could work around that kind of EQ well?
See if you can pick up a Catalinbread DLS.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
See if you can pick up a Catalinbread DLS.

Doesn't seem half bad from a few video clips. I wish I could try these suckers out before I go ahead and buy anything.. But I can't. So I'm really going on UG's advice here. (Like I always have, lol)

EDIT: Watching more videos on it.. Seems like it's really awesome. It can pull out nice overdrive, less gain rock-tone.. Then it can do some pretty heavy stuff as well. that seems like it's EXACTLY what I wanted. I'm gonna check this out a little more, read some reviews (If I can find any) and then if I like.. then f it, I'll order it.

EDIT2: So it'd run me about $175 for the pedal (I'd order it in black, +$10) and that includes the shipping. That's a real big stretch. I'm gonna need help from someone to fund that, for sure. Maybe I'll have some more stuff on CraigsList sold by then. For all I know, I might not be able to meet up with the guy trading me the Crate for a week or two.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at May 29, 2010,
Go to ebay, they got some nice digitech petals cheap, Wah petals range from $50-$250, Deathmetals are like $30.
Not looking for a wah, but thanks anyway.

And a digitech deathmetal is too br00tz for me. I like a lighter distortion, still some gain there but nothing over the top.
The pedal has a Rock and Rwak mode. THe Rwak mode has more gain on tap than the Rock more.

The Rock mode is essentially supposed to sound like the Marshall JTM/JMP and the Rwak mode is supposed to sound like the JCM series.

Other pedals you can look at include the OCD Pigtronix Aria (but this sounds more like a fuzz to me).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah I'm not really into fuzz, the more and more I listen and check out the DLS though, the more I want it. I dig the Rawk mode.. Maybe because I love JCM's? Lol.
The DLS is a great pedal.

I own the DLS, OCD and Lovepedal Kanji 9 and have my signal chain run in this order.

Guitar -> DLS -> Kanji 9 -> OCV (18v) -> amp

Discounting the fact that I own a Mesa MkV, this set up gives me a huge variety of overdrive tones. If you use 18V with the DLS, it gives you even more crunch and grit than just 9v mode.

I have this feeling you'll be very happy with the DLS.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
And with that, it's decided. And yeah I'll try the 18v out as well as the 9.

Just need to wiat until I have this amp in my possesion now. Mostly everything I've read about it is good. It'll be my first tube amp.. So I wasn't gonna go all out. This crate is cheap and will be pretty effective. No gigging or anything.. Just practicing at home for fun. But I want good tone.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
And with that, it's decided. And yeah I'll try the 18v out as well as the 9.

Just need to wiat until I have this amp in my possesion now. Mostly everything I've read about it is good. It'll be my first tube amp.. So I wasn't gonna go all out. This crate is cheap and will be pretty effective. No gigging or anything.. Just practicing at home for fun. But I want good tone.

NGD thread when you get both.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
NGD thread when you get both.

Oh I'm going to, I have the V50 now, just need to get pictures ready and stuff..