Do you prefer heavily layered 'studio' music or simple, organic music?

Poll: Well?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well?
I like hearing lots of layers and studio perfection
138 59%
Give me a raw, simple sound. A good song doesn't need heavy production
95 41%
Voters: 233.
Page 1 of 3
Do you like to listen to heavily orchestrated, multi-layered 'perfect' recordings, or do you prefer a raw, live sound when you listen to music?

Examples
Layered, 'studio' music
Organic, raw sound

I'm just curious to see what the majority of you prefer. Personally, I like tons of layers and perfect recordings.
Check out my band Disturbed
I guess the first one because I hate crappy recording quality/really raw sounding stuff.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I like ridiculous layering, but achieved through an organic way..ex - where the piece is recorded, what type of instruments/how many.
I can appreciate either one.

I think it depends on the artist, mostly. If the White Stripes came out with an extensively-produced album, I would be disappointed. Likewise if a band like Tool came out with a garage rock album.
I dont know, but the vocals in the second link are horrendous!! God!!!
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Does this mean you prefer studio versions over selected live counterparts?

Like most I probably enjoy a nice, clean, polished recording and that's acceptable as a preference. I wouldn't particularly use it as a reason to listen to a band, as some don't know how much is too much. And obviously, it can't save a poor song.
I like a big, layered SOUND, but usually only if it can be done live. I'm citing the E Street Band as an example. Overall, I like a lot of both.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I prefer layered but can still enjoy both.
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKL0cr3gfXo

Better example of layered studio sound IMO. Devin Townsend is the best producer ever for that sort of thing.

I love it, it's far more interesting to listen to. I want music to conjure up imagery and feel like I'm going on a journey, not sound like a bunch of blokes in a big drab room playing. Tone colour should be used as part of the art.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 29, 2010,
It depends, I mean I LOVE Pink Floyd, and obviously they did some seriously complex stuff in the studio (still pulled it off live though).

But I also like songs like Don't let Me down, which had a great raw sound to it...
Layered. Phil Spector approach ftw
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by StewieSwan
Do you like to listen to heavily orchestrated, multi-layered 'perfect' recordings, or do you prefer a raw, live sound when you listen to music?

Examples
Layered, 'studio' music
Organic, raw sound

I'm just curious to see what the majority of you prefer. Personally, I like tons of layers and perfect recordings.

BOTH.

Examples.

Boston. thought out put together really well. it's so darn just. PERFECT. lots of awesome layers and just cool stuff

Van Halen: Raw powerful energy that is hard to beat.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I like both, and I'm quite happy liking both. Simple, live in the studio recordings can have some great dynamics, and can capture the essence and energy of a band. It can sound like the band is next to you, playing. That said, layered, heavily produced music, can also make things sound epic, and also like the band is playing in the same room with you. That said, there is also some crappy examples of both out there.

Also, some bands have a certain vibe about them, which definitely comes through in the recording style. Samdroid pretty much summed that up, above.

Final line for me: I'm not going to vote, as there is no option for me.
its liek comparing kill em all to the black album. both of them are amazing albums and both are very different. the raw sound works good with kill em all because its so aggressive, and the polished studio sound works good with the black album because the riffs are slow and heavy and it makes the song sound huge
I guess its just a mood thing for me .... sometimes when I'm in the mood, I like to listen to layered, studio quality stuff like Dream Theater and Opeth, and other times I might prefer the raw unpolished sound of Metallica demos. I can appreciate both.
im on the fence with my answer but it all comes down to if it can be achieved through live performance... if a band has the talent to produce a layered full sound through each of them playing their own individual instruments then i am all for it. however, if it cannot be close to replicated then forget it. i believe that someones studio work should resemble their talent live and in person and if its put on otherwise then it simply doesnt have the same effect. studio work should be the sound they can produce under ideal conditions, anything else is simply opens them up for more credit then is deserved. pink floyd is a great example, let the musicians talent speak for itself.
I don't care, as long as whoever is performing it can do so live without prerecorded backing. And I don't mean it has to sound exactly like the studio version, as long as it sounds like that music belongs to them, it's good to me.
Organic. I HATE that new blues music that has the saxophone and shit and it's heavily layered. One of my favorite sounds is how Boards Of Canada make their music sound like it's being played by a really cheap old record player. The pitch slightly fluctuates up and down and even though it sounds really cheap, they're actually using a ridiculous amount of editing and some of the most electronic sounds in their music were actually made by editing samples of acoustic instruments from their private studio of over 100 instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg0mDyelSrA
Last edited by The Madcap at May 29, 2010,
I like both. There is a point where the productions quality can be too bad, obviously, but generally I'd prefer to hear something that is closer to what it would sound like in real life. If it's too overproduced and the band cannot reproduce something close enough in real life, they will lose a lot of my respect.
related note: L.A mixing Style, New York Style and London Style are the three styles. LA mixing style is what Van Halen is, organic sounding. New York is very produced and uses compression heavy
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Depends on the band/genre. I personally like both, depends on my mood too. I'd say organic is easier to pull off live though, and might make for a more involved show.
i guess it depends on the band, for example i dont think i could listen to lamb of god with a raw unpolished sound, but metallica or megadeth are awsome in they're early recordings
If I'm listening to metal, I'd definitely pick something compressed and layered. Just saying, since I see a lot of people throwing out Metallica, I will too. "Death Magnetic" was over compressed. That being said, it worked for that album. It was aggressive. It was supposed to be loud as all hell. It sounded like I was literally in the middle of them and they were playing right there next to me. I loved it. But that's my opinion. I know people like more polished than that.

On the other side of the spectrum, bands like Band of Skulls I wouldn't like with too much layering.
always the heavily layered. a simple raw sound can be used for effect, but i always prefer the basis of music to sound crystal clear. minimal production (crappy sound) might be cool and "kvlt" and all that, but i never understood what it does for the music.

i'm mainly talking about metal, because it seems like this issue of sound is most prominent in this genre. black metal "albums" that sound like demos are no good. well, they can be good, but would be much better if the recording was clearer.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I prefer overproduced to underproduced. Also, I don't care if the sound can be reproduced live, as long as it sounds good when I listen to it on the album.
cat
It depends, really. Sometimes, 'raw' and simple sounds really good to me, other times, the same track sounds a little... rushed, maybe? Or just not all it could be.
On the other hand, sometimes polished and produced sometimes sounds beautiful and deep; other times the same track seems to me the deranged product of an anally-retentive asshole who just can't stand back and say "yea, that's good", even when it is.
i like an organized sound, but not so heavily layered that it makes the song into a mockery of what it shouldve been.

do i win the thread?
Quote by GoodnightHero
i like an organized sound, but not so heavily layered that it makes the song into a mockery of what it shouldve been.

do i win the thread?

Yeah lol you're so perfect you totally win. Like, music is just like you said. We're so similar!
It depends what type of music it is.

I like stuff thats well produced, not to fussed on layering though.
ugghh. Aiden is the worst band I've ever heard. That song isn't even really raw, the youtube quality is just terrible, you'd be surprised how layerd it really is.

I can take both, but I prefer high quality clean sounding songs. I don't really get this thread, you can have tons of layers but still sound raw and unprofessional.
Page 1 of 3