So my parents and I drove up to Washington DC today to guitar shop, a fair drive from mid-western VA, to look for a new acoustic guitar for me. I'm a music major (guitar/composition) and I've been hurting for a quality instrument for a while. I've been playing an Alvarez RD-8 for years and while it's not a terrible guitar, it's certainly budget. I actually enjoy the guitar quite a lot and it will continue to serve me as a backup/travel guitar but it simply wasn't holding up.

The first shop we went into, well, lets just say I didn't have high expectations. It looked cluttered and disorganized and the few guitars that were on sight were budget models. But when I walked in they pulled out a couple of really nice Dreads from Hughes and Dalton, Breedlove, and similar brands. After watching me play the owner brought out a Taylor 712 from 1999. I've never been WILD about Taylors, especially since they moved. But this one really caught my attention. The more I played it the more I fell in love. The owner knew my college instructor and some of my music professors and thought me worthy of the guitar. So he offered my parents a HELL of a deal considering I had just walked into the shop.

The Guitar Shop, Washington DC. I would recommend them to anyone looking to buy an acoustic guitar.

After a lunch break I came back and played the guitar some more and had one of the building instructors play it so I could hear it. I decided I simply couldn't leave it and went ahead and gave the word. My very gracious parents bought it for me without showing me the price tag after shutting me outside and talking with the owner about said price. I came home with a 1999 Taylor 712. Redwood top, Rosewood back and sides, Mahogany neck, Ebony fingerboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guitar plays like an absolute dream, quite possibly the smoothest guitar I have ever played. The tone is very Taylor-esque which isn't what I tend to gravitate to but it had a great deal of clear, punchy low end for a Taylor which sold it for me.

It particularly shines on fingerstyle/classical pieces but I've found it's also quite useful as a light strumming/singer songwriter guitar as well. It didn't QUITE hold up to heavy strumming but it sure blew my alvarez out of the water.

It's quite loud, loud enough that it taught me how to play dynamically on the spot to avoid making my ears ring a little. Along with the loudness comes great dynamic quality. I almost preferred the lightly plucked sound to the full loudness.

Basically everything you would expect from a high quality guitar.

Here are some pictures, video to come later. I'm going to mic the thing up and do a real demo of it when I get the chance.

Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at May 29, 2010,
That is a beautiful guitar sir. I'm looking forward to a demo.
sounds like you got the perfect guitar for you - congrats!

btw, it's huss and dalton
Quote by patticake
sounds like you got the perfect guitar for you - congrats!

btw, it's huss and dalton

oooh! Huss and Dalton. What do you know about them? I liked it a lot but it was a little out of my price range.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
oooh! Huss and Dalton. What do you know about them? I liked it a lot but it was a little out of my price range.

They are all Hand Crafted in Virginia. Huss & Dalton Musical began in 1995 when Jeff Huss and Mark Dalton had the idea to build the guitar that they wanted to play. While appreciating the traditional design, both had visions of a guitar that paid homage to tradition while making improvements they wanted to see in the structural design and ascetics of the acoustic guitar.
I know James Allan Shelton from Ralph Stanleys band uses one.
He was quted saying "I bought a Huss and Dalton so I wouldn't have to fly with my Martin, I loved it so much, I bought another Martin so I didn't have to fly with my Huss and Dalton"
A local stores carries them, I have played a 000 model and a Dreadnaught, both of fantastic quality.

Oh and that guitar will visit me in my dreams for years thanks alot.
That is a good thing, it looks amazing, one of the most pretty NGDs I've seen.
Last edited by Silent_Crow13 at May 30, 2010,
Wow she is a beauttttt, looks like she is your perfect match!

I purchased a Taylor 114 a little while back and the tone is just out of this world, and I really cannot fault the guitar at all, it is built to top quality and has no fretbuzz or any nuisannce at all!

Happy NGD!!
HNGD!

Though I really am here to tell you I like your Faerun inspired name.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Nice catch!

You weren't wild about Taylors espcially since they moved from Lemon Grove, CA to El Cajone, CA? I dont understand
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Here's the video!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKEb7in0gI

And to Bright Light, I've been told many different things about their plants and I guess I am wrong again? I should say that I don't like any new Taylor I have ever played. I don't know if that's due to them moving or a decline in quality through time but something about them doesn't do it for me. The old ones really work for me though. It also might just be aging.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Taylor does not have a plant in Nashville like you said in your video. They are still in California. They have a plant in Tecate, Mexico only 30 MILES FROM THE CURRENT EL CAJONE, CA PLANT. That's where they make the 100/200 series and Baby Taylor guitars. It's a high quality factory despite it being in Mexico. Fender and Taylor products from Mexico have to stopped being misjudged because of where they're made.

Also, Taylor guitars have only improved over the last 35 years. I realize ears have have different tastes, but Taylor is deffinitely not in the business of cutting costs to a point of quality degradation.

Very nice playing in your video, though, I liked it a lot actually!

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Yeah I've been told by multiple store owners that they had a plant in Nashville but upon further research...they don't haha. I should do more research before I make a video next time. And I don't judge mexican made guitars really, I love MIM strats. Hell, I have an indonesian strat too. I don't care about where guitars are made as much as their quality. For whatever reason though, I strongly dislike the 100/200's to the point that I would sell it if I was given one. It's all personal taste though.

But yeah, I think we may well just have different tastes. The newer Taylor models really don't do it for me. A good part of that could be the age of the wood though and the amount the guitar has been played honestly.

And thanks very much!

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hey at least you found the one that YOU love! And if that's the case it doesnt matter when or where it was made! Make more clips and videos NAO lol

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce