Poll: Read OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: Read OP.
Criminal justice should focus more (if not completely) on punishment for criminals.
6 25%
Criminal justice should focus more (if not completely) on Rehabilitation for criminals.
13 54%
Other/Different
5 21%
Voters: 24.
So I've heard many people, at least here in 'Murica say that we're just too soft with with criminals, prison nowadays is fun and cozy, etc. and it shouldn't be the way it is. So that's what's making me start this thread.

Do you think criminal justice should focus more on punishment for crimes, or do you think it should focus more on rehabilitation? Or do you think the state should even decide punishment for crimes? The only justification I personally can think of that I'd agree with is deterrence, but for me that's still really iffy because I'm not sure of the effectiveness of that preventing crimes.

Overall I'm much more in favor of rehabilitation.
Quote by The Madcap
Overall I'm much more in favor of rehabilitation.
I'm much more in favor of preventing crimes. Give them all psychological tests.
Unless they pass 100%, just kill the motherfuckers.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by captaincrunk
What's your criterion for sanity?
The first requirement is not asking questions. See ya later, meat.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Both are very important, if not equally (if there's no punishment involved then people will lose faith in the judicial system very quickly)

However, most countries still focus way too much on the "retribution" aspect. Not only do I not agree with the death penalty and unreasonably long jail sentences: I don't even think they're effective ways of preventing crime. Some of the countries with the highest crime rates are nototrious for handing out ridiculously harsh sentences...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
speaking from a psychological standpoint, to be perfectly honest, negative reinforcement does not work.

but then rehab is obviously, instinctively, the wrong thing to do... three quarters of the cases i see in the news come from criminals i would want the maximum sentence imposed upon...

in conclusion, there really is no alternative but prison, which sucks a fat one. it's a bad system, but i have to say that it does its job better than rehab and it's the best one we've got.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by captaincrunk
In waving, you prove that you're insane. You know I can't see you, so why wave?

EDIT: This thread is so far like 80% spam.
You proved you can see me by saying that I waved. And asked another question. Your fate is sealed.

Recycled topics tend to be spammy. It's the nature of the beast.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411