Page 1 of 2
Or is it some sort of program that puts it on. Like i dont think actors would rlly smoke due to the addictivness?? or somethin like that lol.
lol:
Quote by Metallizach
your not alone. I am a chronic procrasturbator (meaning I put off things I should be doing, and fill that time masturbating)

DAVID GILMOUR IS GOD
Nobody smokes. It's all a show just to trick you.
Check out my band Disturbed
You've got to be a complete f*ckwit to get addicted after 2 puffs

In short, yeah, they do it for scenes.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400

Right...
all the cool kids smoke anyway.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
there are fake cigarettes that release realistic smoke, fyi.
Dream Theater FTW!!

Gear:
Ibanez S7320 7-string
Tama Superstar 8 pc. drum set
They get a stunt double to smoke for them. Ever notice they look different in all those scenes?
Quote by MH400

In short, yeah, they do it for scenes.

Are you sure it's not some form of fake cigarette?

As in your scenario, after two puffs a non-smoker would cough for three minutes and pretty much ruin the scene (unless that was in the script).
Quote by red157
Are you sure it's not some form of fake cigarette?

As in your scenario, after two puffs a non-smoker would cough for three minutes and pretty much ruin the scene (unless that was in the script).

I've watched a documentary on it before, and they said that usually they're real.

Obviously fakes ones are sometimes used, though.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by StewieSwan
Protip: Most actors smoke IRL

And you have the evidence to back it up, no doubt.
Yeah man, those cigarettes are one hit shit.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Fuckin' miracles.

Or fake cigarettes.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Actually, since they don't inhale, they aren't actually smoking. In other words, since very little smoke and nicotine actually reaches their lungs, they don't cough and they don't feel any effects. Ergo, no addiction and no screwed up scenes.
Quote by thenextkirk92
It's all miracles

Quote by StewieSwan
Nobody smokes. It's all a show just to trick you.

Quote by Samdroid

i love this place.
Quote by thenextkirk92
It's all miracles

Magic everywhere up in this bitch
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
People always look like idiots when they're fake smoking, a lot of the time you can tell they're not even inhaling. I know it's a small thing but it really annoys me.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
They don't inhale, you can tell. They bring it into thier mouth, then blow it all out with all thier might like they just tasted cow shit. Habitual smokers usually just let it kind of leave on its own, with very little push from themselves.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
they're all herbal cigarettes, even the actors that actually smoke. there's some sort of law about it because they can't have all that secondhand smoke with the crew and whatnot.
Quote by MightyAl
Only if they're on fire.

Answer: Yes and no
Last edited by .h3xagr4m. at May 29, 2010,
You can smoke and not be addicted, but in movies if they're smoking I'd say they just don't inhale the smoke into their lungs.

Humphrey Bogart is Casablanca is another story though That man was a chimney.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Its a good question but, if an actor is smoking in a film then they probably are smokers in real life. Being a (hopeful) actor and a smoker I can tell you; a non smoker acting to smoke in a scene looks ridiculous and no director would want that.

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Quote by Manualx
Or is it some sort of program that puts it on. Like i dont think actors would rlly smoke due to the addictivness?? or somethin like that lol.

It's quite simple to smoke one cigarette for one scene, they're not addictive after a single cigarette. A lot of them will smoke anyway!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I like imagining them hiring a wizard, who stands just off-screen making incantations

HU HA HOOOOOOO! HU HA HOOOOOO!
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
I've been involved in a school play where the characters had to smoke. The actors were all 15 so obviously we couldn't give them real cigarettes.
We gave them fake herbal ones, and I know of a few proper actors who have used something similar.

Quote by Defunkt
Its a good question but, if an actor is smoking in a film then they probably are smokers in real life. Being a (hopeful) actor and a smoker I can tell you; a non smoker acting to smoke in a scene looks ridiculous and no director would want that.

Surely they would act?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Last edited by bodyheatseeker at May 29, 2010,
To be fair I havent seen many nonsmokers act it, but the few I have I dont think it looks right. Anyway, I dont see the purpose in keeping the character a smoker if the actor isn't.

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
In 'Hitman', Dougray Scott has several cigarettes in his mouth a quite a few points in the film, but not once does he spark it up. I assume he wasn't a smoker and didn't want to do it for the film, so they left it like that.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Defunkt
To be fair I havent seen many nonsmokers act it, but the few I have I dont think it looks right. Anyway, I dont see the purpose in keeping the character a smoker if the actor isn't.

It's characterization isn't it? Just because the actor doesn't smoke, it shouldn't necessarily follow that the character won't.
I mean, Robert De Niro isn't a violet rapist, but that didn't stop Scorsese casting him in Cape Fear.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by bodyheatseeker
It's characterization isn't it? Just because the actor doesn't smoke, it shouldn't necessarily follow that the character won't.
I mean, Robert De Niro isn't a violet rapist, but that didn't stop Scorsese casting him in Cape Fear.

EDIT: Scratch that; I didn't read your post properly
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Last edited by Callum89 at May 29, 2010,
If they're naturally non-smokers they probably just don't take back.

I'm pretty sure you would risk a nicotine addiction if you were being paid in the millions for acting the role
Page 1 of 2