Ok so ive been playing for about 2 months and im ready to start some badass solo's. My favorite band is iron maiden, any good tips or warmups i could do to play some dave murray?

Yes, ive been playing only 2 months.. but i can play rythym to almost any maiden song ive tried so i know i can do this with a little practice hahaha.

Im Not into deathcore metal, more 70-80's metal.
80s metal loved thier natural minor scale. With some harmonic minor scales too.

But i'm guessing you havn't learnt any theory, so this is all probably useless to you?

But i guess u can just learn thier solos, and later on, learn how they wrote it, and how to make ur own.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Ive got fast fingers actually, so i know i COULD play the beautiful shit if i just looked up the tab, id rather feel the music than play it though. If youve got theory hit me with it and ill study the hell outa it.
Quote by julzius
80s metal loved thier natural minor scale. With some harmonic minor scales too.

But i'm guessing you havn't learnt any theory, so this is all probably useless to you?

But i guess u can just learn thier solos, and later on, learn how they wrote it, and how to make ur own.

Toodles!

Ive got fast fingers actually, so i know i COULD play the beautiful shit if i just looked up the tab, id rather feel the music than play it though. If youve got theory hit me with it and ill study the hell outa it.
Quote by Dmt8jr
Ok so ive been playing for about 2 months and im ready to start some badass solo's. My favorite band is iron maiden, any good tips or warmups i could do to play some dave murray?

Learn some Iron Maiden solos.

And learn your theory, it'll help.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Everybody has fast fingers, what matters is whether they're accurate and controlled and I guarantee that they aren't.

Don't bite off more than you can chew and don't rush things, this isn't a race...learn some stuff off the first album, the Phantom of the Opera solos are all relatively straightforward as is remember tomorrow. Iron Maiden and Running Free don't have solos as such but the lead fills in those songs should be easy enough to get to grips with.

Look at some Thin Lizzy stuff too, they'ere pretty similar to Maiden in their approach to using two guitars.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learn some Iron Maiden solos.

And learn your theory, it'll help.

Alright cool, ill start with a harder one, i like a challenge on guitar.
what i need to know are basic soloing tips tho, picking? finger placement?
anything of the sort thatll help a little cus i wanna shred that bitch.
Quote by steven seagull
Everybody has fast fingers, what matters is whether they're accurate and controlled and I guarantee that they aren't.

Don't bite off more than you can chew and don't rush things, this isn't a race...learn some stuff off the first album, the Phantom of the Opera solos are all relatively straightforward as is remember tomorrow. Iron Maiden and Running Free don't have solos as such but the lead fills in those songs should be easy enough to get to grips with.

Look at some Thin Lizzy stuff too, they'ere pretty similar to Maiden in their approach to using two guitars.

early maiden isnt in my interest sorry hahaa, paul and clive suck balls, im more nikko and bruce. but anyhow, set that aside, it seems to me the harder it is, if i study it for like 10-20 minutes without interuptions i get the hang of things faster than easier stuff which gets boring to me, thats why i want somthin harder.
I doubt you're ready for it after 2 months, and if you aren't you're just setting yourself up for a fall.

Don't get me wrong, you could be freakishly talented - it's just that from my experience most 2 month guitarists can barely hold the thing properly, let alone play it.

If you can post a video of yourself playing that would help a lot as we can gauge what you're capable of. Like I said, you might be awesome in which case fair play to you and we'll suggest things accordingly, however on the flipside if it turns out you're not as great as you think you are you'll get advice on how to sort things out. If there are inherent flaws in your playing it's not like you've spent years doing things wrong, you've only been playing 2 months so it won't be a problem to address anything that needs putting right.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at May 29, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
I doubt you're ready for it after 2 months, and if you aren't you're just setting yourself up for a fall.

Don't get me wrong, you could be freakishly talented - it's just that from my experience most 2 month guitarists can barely hold the thing properly, let alone play it.

If i wasnt ready i wouldnt have this topic :P.
haha just hit me with some magic and i promise ill prove u wrong.
how about the wasted years solo?
In all honesty you seem to have all the answers, you might as well just pick something
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
In all honesty you seem to have all the answers, you might as well just pick something

Alright then, thanks alot man. Your criticism somehow helped hahahaha.
If you're confident enough you might as well give a go- doesn't really matter what other people want or think at the end of the day, after all it's your guitar.

If you hit a specific problem you can always ask for help but there's no harm in just doing it, after all you never know if you can do something until you try.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Try the Hallowed be Thy Name solo. I'm learning it now and loving it.