Hello All.
I've been getting into Bass guitar and I'm looking to upgrade my bass. Right now I have a really crappy one from one of those nifty packs. I've upgraded my amp (just bought a Peavey TKO 115) and now I'm looking for a bass that will make it sound good. There is a sale going on, so here's my thought process. The Bass is my side instrument. I could buy a Squier Affinity P-Bass for $200 or I could buy a Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass for $251. Which should I go for? The main difference I saw in the specs is that the Vintage Modified has an alcino magnet in the pickup. Thanks for your time everyone.
Well the Squier Affinity won't be much of an upgrade, seeing how its the same bass that comes in Squier's starter packs. The Vintage Modified series is simply a higher quality bass, some say the VM series is on par with standard MIM's. Go for the VM, and you won't run into the gaggle of quality control issues that abound with the Affinity.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yeah, if you want to upgrade your bass you're gonna have to look past the Affinity series, as they are what comes in the starter packs.
I dont know how the Vintage Modified basses compare to the Affinity's, but its probably a better purchase.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Defiantly go with the VM. Sounds better, better construction, quality and some even compare them as being as good as a MIM Fender
VM

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Vintage Modified. Definitely. Stay away from that Affinity.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Most people are going to say VM but you should try them both out if you can and decide from there.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
VM, because they are way better than the affinity series. Plus, they are great basses overall.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Comparing the 2 is like settling for a Yugo when you could have an Escalade.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Comparing the 2 is like settling for a Yugo when you could have an Escalade.

I've tried both Affinity and VM Squiers and to be honest I prefer the Affinity.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
I've tried both Affinity and VM Squiers and to be honest I prefer the Affinity.

You can get the odd affinity that's pretty solid but for the most part they're a lot worse than any other squier series. They're why squier gets a bad rap sometimes, the affinity series (both guitars and basses) can be shockingly bad quality and horrible to play. If nothing else, the pickups and the wood will be higher quality on the VM.

I personally play a squier P-Bass Special that's nicer than a lot of MIM P-basses, but I've played the exact same bass as mine in a store (just right handed) and it was like playing a completely different (and very cheap) bass, it was that bad. That is my only gripe with squier, they could be a little more consistent.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jun 5, 2010,