I have recently (and finally) come into possession of a JCM800 2210 after many years of drooling over them at guitar shops. And I must say it sounds absolutely fantastic though I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be hearing before I go completely deaf. What I would like to know, and other owners will probably relate, is how to make it a bit cleaner. The clean channel is quite frankly rubbish, lacking both decent EQs and Gain.
I'm just wondering whether there's any pedals out there that can help clean it up because it's quite distorted for a supposedly clean channel and it really lacks tone because of the middle EQ disappearing. If it's too much bother I'm thinking of just saving and getting a decent fender or Vox amp or something and have them on A/B for gigs. But any suggestions would be much appreciated. If I've missed any crucial information, just point it out. Cheers in Advance.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
supposedly the Homebrew Detox Eq does this, though I have no experience
Quote by Sputnik1
supposedly the Homebrew Detox Eq does this, though I have no experience

Cool, I'll look it up. As for rolling back volume on my guitar, it's what I'm doing now, but even then it doesn't really clean up brilliantly, I've have to take it down to about 1 and at that stage I've lost alot of volume for the clean channel.
Try lower gain valves like 12AT7, 12AY7 or 12AU7
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Try lower gain valves like 12AT7, 12AY7 or 12AU7

How Much would that effect my Boosted channel though? I like the amount of gain it's putting out at around 7 but I guess if the low gain valves took a bit too much away I could always use an overdrive pedal to boost it back up to how I like it?
I played a JCM 800 that was a clean amp. Still was clean at 10 on the volume. I reckon someone could mod it for you.

EDIT: By the sounds of it you wouldn't want that
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I was going to do this as soon as I saw the thread title
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by reevax
How Much would that effect my Boosted channel though? I like the amount of gain it's putting out at around 7 but I guess if the low gain valves took a bit too much away I could always use an overdrive pedal to boost it back up to how I like it?

It will lower the maximum gain that you have on tap. Just buy one and try it in different positions until you find the balance you want. It's fun to experiment anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you can mod it, then yeah go for a hotter biasing on the gain stage right before the cathode follower. there should be a 10K there, maybe switch it out for an 8K or something.

if not there's your volume knob

Quote by TMF128
I believe this pedal can do it:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Nano-Signal-Pad-Attenuator-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=501647

It is pretty much just a volume knob, but in pedal form.

Why the heck does that need a 9V adapter?
Last edited by stykerwolf at May 29, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
I believe this pedal can do it:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Nano-Signal-Pad-Attenuator-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=501647

It is pretty much just a volume knob, but in pedal form.

Hmm, that's looks good. Coupled with a EQ pedal that'd probably be the easier and cheaper option to my problem, anyone own/used one of these pedals before? I've not seen one available in my local shops but it's also not too pricey so it wouldn't matter if it were a complete disaster.
Quote by reevax
Hmm, that's looks good. Coupled with a EQ pedal that'd probably be the easier and cheaper option to my problem, anyone own/used one of these pedals before? I've not seen one available in my local shops but it's also not too pricey so it wouldn't matter if it were a complete disaster.

I've never owned one, but considering it is an EHX pedal, it will most likely be good.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
It's too much to hope for that there would be a simple way to fire up the EHX Signal Pad, a graphic EQ pedal and switch channels on the amp? The pedals would be simple enough to fire at the same time but I don't there's a way to integrate the channel switching as well is there... Having seen demos of the EHX it looks like it does take alot of gain off, but it would only truly clean up the clean channel, not enough to take down the boosted channel...That's why I'm asking hehe.
Quote by reevax
Cool, I'll look it up. As for rolling back volume on my guitar, it's what I'm doing now, but even then it doesn't really clean up brilliantly, I've have to take it down to about 1 and at that stage I've lost alot of volume for the clean channel.

That's because the clean channel is useless unmodded since a circuit design flaw causes the gain channel to bleed into it.

Use the gain channel and roll back for cleans or get the channel fixed by a tech. The mod is fairly well documented.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, for anyone wondering what happened in the end. I went out and bought an EHX Signal Pad and that worked an absolute dream. Lost quite alot of volume though so I then bought an MXR 401C boost and that bought it up very nicely. I'm leaving the Boost channel on the JCM800 always on, then using a Boss LS-2 to toggle the EHX & MXR pedals on/off simultaneously to create a proper clean channel. Might invest in a MXR EQ or something of similar quality soon to tweak it abit. Thanks to all those who helped. Much appreciated. Now I really do love my JCM800 hehe
Am I the only one asking why? Some amps just do certain things really really well and the cost of it is not doing the other things as well. JCMs are just like that. It just seems like a ton of hassle and frankly kind of weird to try to force this legendary hi-gain amp to do clean. You should know what you're getting into when you get one of these things :/
I play guitar
Quote by stykerwolf
Why the heck does that need a 9V adapter?

LED?

I have two pedals that I run on 9v strictly for the LED...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by nightraven
uh is the boost in the fx loop or what?
because lowering the volume going into the amp and then boosting it back up again is defeating the point

Naa, the EHX pedal cut the gain right down, the clean boost brings the volume back so the OD and 'clean' channels are equal-ish in volume.

And as for why, because it's alot cheaper for the temporary use. I have several gigs in the coming weeks and when I have the money sure I'll buy a fender or vox amp to handle the cleans because they're by far better at doing so. But this is a good way round it for the moment.
Last edited by reevax at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by )Eric(Draven
Am I the only one asking why? Some amps just do certain things really really well and the cost of it is not doing the other things as well. JCMs are just like that. It just seems like a ton of hassle and frankly kind of weird to try to force this legendary hi-gain amp to do clean. You should know what you're getting into when you get one of these things :/

1. The JCM 800 has great cleans, as do all old Marshalls.
2. It's definitely not a high gain amp, even by my old fogey standards. All the metal bands that used one either modded it or boosted the hell out of it.

Quote by nightraven
but you do realise that here 'gain' and 'volume' are the same thing?
you are basically reversing what the EHX pedal is doing by putting a boost pedal in front of the amp when it's set 'clean'

Yeah.. I realise that now in stupidity.... Putting it after the amp seemed to help but I'm now back to 2 buttons god damn it! Maybe I'll just stick em close enough to together so I can stamp on the simultaneously.....
^ You should only need one button.

Either set the amp for distortion and stick a volume cut in front, or set the amp on the edge of distortion and use a clean boost.

^ That's what the Master is for. There should be a point where clean and distorted tones are roughly the same volume.

I use a JCM800 style amp, I use a fair amount of gain, and I use an SG with independent volume and tone controls.

So I roll down my neck pickup a tad, and then I change it to parallel wiring. So let's say I'm playing a dirty rhythm with my bridge...need cleans? I flip up to my neck pickup real quick. It's super easy and works great.

That said, I don't use a silly dual channel 800. Single channel ftw.

You should sell yours and get a proper vertical output 2203/2204. Those are the coveted 800s for a reason.
Btw theres no difference between vertical or horizontal output on a 2204 right ? This only affected 2203 as it has less caps or something like that i don't remmeber
Quote by nightraven
uh is the boost in the fx loop or what?
because lowering the volume going into the amp and then boosting it back up again is defeating the point

Don't you see? He magically created headroom out of thin air.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

the sudden clip when u turn up the gain is caused by the cold clipper in the third gain stage. but if you have the first stage gain low enough, you should be able to clean it up with your guitar's volume knob.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I guess I'll make do as is for the moment. The easiest long term remedy is to eventually just buy a seperate amp for sparkling cleans. Thanks for everyone's help though.
I still say you should try a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 (buy both and try each in V1). You might have to turn your gain up a notch or two for your dirty sound or maybe add a boost like a tubescreamer. They are damn cheap valves so just buy one of each and try it - what have you got to lose? It is bound to be better than shoving an attenuator pad in front of the amp. That just sounds lame to me. You already have a pad, it's called your guitar's volume knob.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I still say you should try a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 (buy both and try each in V1). You might have to turn your gain up a notch or two for your dirty sound or maybe add a boost like a tubescreamer. They are damn cheap valves so just buy one of each and try it - what have you got to lose? It is bound to be better than shoving an attenuator pad in front of the amp. That just sounds lame to me. You already have a pad, it's called your guitar's volume knob.

Will they really make that much of a difference?
Will they really make that much of a difference?

Yes, those particular preamp tubes have way less gain than your average 12AX7. Should be much easier in theory to get a cleaner clean tone. On my JCM 800 I just use the coil tap on my guitar to get better cleans. But mine is a 4104 (combo version of the 2204), a different beast altogether.
Schecter C-1+, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (Neck) Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (Bridge) -->Boss TU-3, Way Huge Angry Troll, Analogman Boss SD-1/808 Silver mod -->Marshall JCM 800 4104 --> Marshall 1960A with Rola Celestion G12-65s