ok so i'm gonna buy a Marshall solid state half stack and the instruction manual thing says to never turn the amp on without a cab connected, why is this? and if i was to use the headphone jack while playing in my room, does this mean i have to have the cab connected? because i believe the sound still comes through the speakers even when you have the headphones plugged in due to it being "emulated" or something (seems stupid), can someone please clear all this up for me?
thanks
Gear

Guitars:
Ibanez S520
Ibanez Grx40

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX Half stack
Ibanez Tbx15r

Effects:
Digitech RP90
Boss Ds-1
I'm not sure about headphones, but if it's supposed to come out the speakers too then it's not safe without using the cab. I don't know that much about amps, but i know the amp sends the signal to the speaker jack regardless of whether or not the cabinet is connected, and if it has nowhere to go it could, and probably will, damage your amp
Emulated cabinet through the headphones probably means the headphone jack is designed to sound more cab like.

They wouldnt put a headphone jack on an amp that didnt mute the speaker...

And yes, do not turn you head on without a speaker.
Quote by dani-caffine-22
ok so i'm gonna buy a Marshall solid state half stack and the instruction manual thing says to never turn the amp on without a cab connected, why is this? and if i was to use the headphone jack while playing in my room, does this mean i have to have the cab connected? because i believe the sound still comes through the speakers even when you have the headphones plugged in due to it being "emulated" or something (seems stupid), can someone please clear all this up for me?
thanks

Why do you want to play a half stack and use headphones through it?
When a speaker isn't connected apparently there is a chance of your output transformer frying.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
Why do you want to play a half stack and use headphones through it?

because . . .. its the only way i can convince my mom to buy it for me is if i do that at home. . . .i won't of coarse but i have to convince her its possible
Gear

Guitars:
Ibanez S520
Ibanez Grx40

Amps:
Ibanez Tbx15r

Effects:
Digitech RP90
Boss Ds-1
zomg so much fail. worst amp ever.

+1
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at May 29, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
zomg so much fail. worst amp ever.

i disagree now that i've tried it i think it has a good bundle of sounds, for a fair priced amp
Gear

Guitars:
Ibanez S520
Ibanez Grx40

Amps:
Ibanez Tbx15r

Effects:
Digitech RP90
Boss Ds-1
Quote by dani-caffine-22
i disagree now that i've tried it i think it has a good bundle of sounds, for a fair priced amp

You won't in a year. I didn't.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan