What sss fender strat would be the best for metal? I'm looking to pay less than $1500.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Any Stratocaster that has hum-canceling or stacked single coils would work.

Any particular reason for solely SSS Stratocasters? You going for Wintersun tones or something?

I think you might be better off with humbuckers to be honest.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i love the sound of single coils, and i also want it to play john mayer,t he chili peppers and stuff like that, so yeah
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Something with a coil-tapped humbucker maybe? My Strat really isn't any use for metal at all... although that may be more to do with the crappy amp
Quote by nigeltheginger
Something with a coil-tapped humbucker maybe? My Strat really isn't any use for metal at all... although that may be more to do with the crappy amp

+1

Maybe a HSS Stratocaster that can be split in the bridge so you can still get those single coil tones.

If you want a more traditional single coil sound, you could try a hum canceling (as apposed to humbucking) single coil. Yngwie does this and he can get some pretty heavy tones out of his strat.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Singles which will be able to sound like Mayer/Peppers won't be able to play metal and vice-versa, too much difference in tone. Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups are noiseless and pretty hot, they have more solid bottom end and no piercing heights so they'd do for metal - but they won't sound like Frusciante or Mayer, sorry.

You could get an SSS Strat and buy a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for the bridge position, this would leave you all the wonderful Strat tones from the neck and the middle.
Quote by zombiak
Singles which will be able to sound like Mayer/Peppers won't be able to play metal and vice-versa, too much difference in tone. Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups are noiseless and pretty hot, they have more solid bottom end and no piercing heights so they'd do for metal - but they won't sound like Frusciante or Mayer, sorry.

You could get an SSS Strat and buy a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for the bridge position, this would leave you all the wonderful Strat tones from the neck and the middle.

To be fair, if he really really wanted to try, I'm sure he could find a suitable metal tone with single coils. He can get lower output hum canceling singles and he could cover RHCP and Mayer for sure. He would just have to change his amp and pedal settings for when he plays metal is all.

Too complicated for me tbh. I'd rather have a guitar for metal and a guitar with singles. Most jack of all trade guitars come up a bit short if you're picky like me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It depends really if it's classic metal or death core type stuff, the latter then no but I can get a pretty good classic metal tone from the lace sensors in my strat
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I really think the key to a metal tone with single coils is just adjusting your treble, presence, and mids appropriately. If you can dial out the harshness, you could possibly have a more defined tone for metal then you would with humbuckers potentially.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Any SSS strat that has hum cancelling pickups, otherwise, it's gonna make a shitload of noise
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

not really, a properly grounded amp will greatly reduce the noise. i have a jaguar and i used to play metal. now the heaviest music i play is hard rock with a vox amp. i'd say try your SSS strat with a good metal-worthy amp and see how it goes.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab

I bet he thinks single coils can do metal.
I would go for some EMG single coils in your strat. They'll get you plenty of gain, and they'll cancel out noise pretty well. If I remember correctly, David Gilmour uses EMGs in his strats, so they're pretty versatile.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Irongear Jailhouse Rails are 4 wire SC size humbuckers and at 14k will be plenty hot enough. You can wire in a coil split and still have the SC tone, of sorts. But I have to ask. Why not just play metal on your Les Paul?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

put a humbucker in the bridge

frusciante uses the neck pickup anyway
i play metal with a Strat so it can be done. you may have to be more specific as what "metal" means to you though. styles like black or death metal are better played with humbuckers as single coils just don't have the bass output needed for those styles. having said that if you have another guitar player using humbuckers than a Strat could give the sound a cool dimension often missing. i use Lace Sensor pickups, they are quiet and come in different outputs. for metal i'd say put a red in the bridge and perhaps a blue in the neck (the middle would depend on how much and for what you use it for). this set up won't give you crystal clear cleans but will work for blues just fine and of course metal.
Lace Sensors - yeah, but again, they aren't your typical single coils, actually their build is completely different. I had a Strat with Lace Sensor Red in the bridge and it didn't sound like single coil AT ALL concerning clean tones; was great for heavy stuff, though. It's far too hot to sound good in Hendrix-like tunes, plus Lace Sensors sound very sterile - not a good thing for vintage tones.

Really, probably the best thing to do is to get a humbucker in a single housing and place it in the bridge position, leave the two other singles alone, and remember to wire the humbucker in a way that it's split so only one coil is used in the "inbetween" (bridge+middle) position. You could also add a little switch to make the coil split when playing on the humbucker alone, this way you would get at least something similar to Stratty bridge single coil.
I have Noiseless SCNs in my Strat and Dimarzios in my Ibanez. The Strat is actually bassier and sounds fatter than the RG. But it still sounds bad for metal. I think it has to do with the attack and response of the single coils because of their size, not the tonality. I think you're better off getting something better suited for metal. My RG gets cleaner than my Strat and it can get a lot dirtier. Try out other options. Playing John Mayer or RHCP on something other than a Strat won't necessarily sound bad, just different. Metal on a Strat usually sounds bad.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by zombiak
Lace Sensors - yeah, but again, they aren't your typical single coils, actually their build is completely different. I had a Strat with Lace Sensor Red in the bridge and it didn't sound like single coil AT ALL concerning clean tones; was great for heavy stuff, though. It's far too hot to sound good in Hendrix-like tunes, plus Lace Sensors sound very sterile - not a good thing for vintage tones.

Really, probably the best thing to do is to get a humbucker in a single housing and place it in the bridge position, leave the two other singles alone, and remember to wire the humbucker in a way that it's split so only one coil is used in the "inbetween" (bridge+middle) position. You could also add a little switch to make the coil split when playing on the humbucker alone, this way you would get at least something similar to Stratty bridge single coil.

I have the Lace Sensor Gold's with the midrange boost in my MIA strat. I adore them.

Metal is a Genre, not a guitar. Playing Metal does not require EMG's and a Floyd Rose. Look at Iron Maiden and Yngwie.

Genre is in the fingers, not the equipment.
Get the jackson Adrian Smith signature, that's one strat that created metal.
Quote by rooster456
I have the Lace Sensor Gold's with the midrange boost in my MIA strat. I adore them.

Metal is a Genre, not a guitar. Playing Metal does not require EMG's and a Floyd Rose. Look at Iron Maiden and Yngwie.

totally agree. Lace Sensors have differnt styles with the red ones being the hot metal style pickups. the gold sound pretty much just like an old strat. i have a blue in the bridge which is a little hotter and has a little more midrange does just fine for metal tones and still maintains a strat sound clean. Lace Sensors are still true single coil pups but use a different tecnology for cancelling the hum. i don't find them sterile just a little different.

metal is a genre with many varying forms contained within. it seems that there is an automatic assumption when metal is mentioned these days that you mean a style that tunes so low that the strings are falling off and you can't tell the guitar from the bass. if that is what you want then an SSS strat isn't the best choice (but no law saing it won't work). on the other hand if you want to play stuff like 70s metal (early priest, budgie , thin lizzy etc) or alot of eighties stuff a strat will work just fine. strats are also great for newer power metal style stuff.
Quote by rooster456

Adrian Smith from maiden has a jackson with a floyd lol.

But yeah you can play metal with a tele. Just not with stock pickups, it will be thin and noisy and unfit for metal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Honestly, anyone on this site that says you can't do metal with single coil pickups is full of shit, and it's likely that they're a hypocrite. I mean, it's well known on here that your amp is roughly 60%-80% of your tone, so why would having single coils be such a huge deal? Yngwie does it, and Jimi Hendrix got extremely distorted tones with singles, so why can't you?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by JoePerry4life
Adrian Smith from maiden has a jackson with a floyd lol.

True Dave Murray has the Fender Strat but they both are strats really. The whole point is that they both have humbuckers though so it's kinda irrelevant using that as an example that single coils can do metal.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I will be playing mainly iron maiden, metallica, and stuff like megadeth.

If not a strat, have any other suggestions?
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Maybe a HSS Stratocaster that can be split in the bridge so you can still get those single coil tones.

If you want a more traditional single coil sound, you could try a hum canceling (as apposed to humbucking) single coil. Yngwie does this and he can get some pretty heavy tones out of his strat.

agreed. get a fat strat with hum cancelling singles and a split humbucker
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
You really could play metal with it. You'd just need a little EQ'ing. I've been toying around with metal tones from my MiM Tele recently, and I'm pretty surprised at how good it's higher-gain tones are.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
depends on the kind of metal
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Quote by simpleben09
Honestly, anyone on this site that says you can't do metal with single coil pickups is full of shit, and it's likely that they're a hypocrite. I mean, it's well known on here that your amp is roughly 60%-80% of your tone, so why would having single coils be such a huge deal? Yngwie does it, and Jimi Hendrix got extremely distorted tones with singles, so why can't you?

Metal isn't about distortion. Yes, you can add a lot of distortion to a single-coil, but it usually becomes muddy. Keep in mind that Maiden, Yngwie, and Hendrix don't use a lot of gain. It was high-gain in the 80s, but it's nothing compared to the music of the 90s and 00s. They were probably using JCM800s which isn't really high-gain, just really raw. Heavy palm muting works better on humbuckers as well quick riffs on the lower strings. None of the mentioned strat players use those techniques. If you're planning to use them, you're better off with something else. A lot of 80s metal can be done with single-coils, but it's an uphill batter going for 90s and above. Don't do it to yourself.
Most f your awesome Strat tones comes from the "in-between" positions on the selector, bridge and middle, or neck and middle, then the neck. You can get a Fat Strat with something like a DiMarzio Dual Sound in the bridge wired to split when in the positions blended with the middle pickup, and you have all the tones you're looking for.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by JELIFISH19
Metal isn't about distortion. Yes, you can add a lot of distortion to a single-coil, but it usually becomes muddy. Keep in mind that Maiden, Yngwie, and Hendrix don't use a lot of gain. It was high-gain in the 80s, but it's nothing compared to the music of the 90s and 00s. They were probably using JCM800s which isn't really high-gain, just really raw. Heavy palm muting works better on humbuckers as well quick riffs on the lower strings. None of the mentioned strat players use those techniques. If you're planning to use them, you're better off with something else. A lot of 80s metal can be done with single-coils, but it's an uphill batter going for 90s and above. Don't do it to yourself.

metal not about distortion? name me one metal band that doesn't use distortion. since when do single coils pickups get muddy when heavy distortion is used, if nothing else they still stay to clean sounding. rumour has it there is more to metal than palm muting which can be done on a strat with practice. slap a tubescreamer in front of a JCM 800 and tell me how that doesn't produce a high gain sound.