I'm 44 yrs old and have been playing guitar since I was 13. At first, I just played rythmn
guitar, black sabbath and ac/dc riffs and I didn't get into lead playing until I was 18. I was always good with legato playing but my right hand simply won't pick fast. I practiced religiously but was never able to get alternate picking over 16th notes at 100 bpm on the metronome--BUT, I always gave up at this point (after 4 or 5 months of intense practice) and put the guitar down for several years. I've tried again over the years with the same results: that is, I'd pick up the guitar start working and then hit a roadblock at 16th notes at 100bpm after a couple of months. I've seen people who don't even play guitar who can alternate pick an open string faster than me and its discouraging. Is anyone else like this? Is it possible that no matter how hard you practice, some people just can't play fast. Is there anyone else like me who have overcome this kind of roadblock?
Quote by afrika18
I'm 44 yrs old and have been playing guitar since I was 13. At first, I just played rythmn
guitar, black sabbath and ac/dc riffs and I didn't get into lead playing until I was 18. I was always good with legato playing but my right hand simply won't pick fast. I practiced religiously but was never able to get alternate picking over 16th notes at 100 bpm on the metronome--BUT, I always gave up at this point (after 4 or 5 months of intense practice) and put the guitar down for several years. I've tried again over the years with the same results: that is, I'd pick up the guitar start working and then hit a roadblock at 16th notes at 100bpm after a couple of months. I've seen people who don't even play guitar who can alternate pick an open string faster than me and its discouraging. Is anyone else like this? Is it possible that no matter how hard you practice, some people just can't play fast. Is there anyone else like me who have overcome this kind of roadblock?

that's plain retarded, what relevance does that have to you?

Learn to play the guitar, focus on what you can do and how you can make it better, don't wrry about what you can't do. Speed develops naturally over time if you practice correctly and focus on things like accuracy and economy of motion. If you focus on *trying* to get faster it'll never happen, instead try to get better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 29, 2010,
Quote by afrika18

That's like saying "I've seen people who can't swim beat Michael Phelps in a race". You are probably just meaning that they are just moving their arm as fast as they can. They have absolutely no control and are much more likely to hurt themselves than make something even remotely musical.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.