Hello guys! Well I don't know much about the big elite amps.. I have a roland cube now. Anyways. I am trying to start up a rock band (we will start with covers of stuff my the Foo Fighters, ZZ Top, etc). My favorite guitar tones are Santana's in general and Andy Timmon's on Electric Gypsy.

My dad knows a guy from Carvin who can get me quite a bit of money off my purchase (I think its about 30%). I want a tube amp. He says for practicing out in the driveway (yeah we won't have a garage lol) and for small indoor and outdoor gigs the Carvin X100B Head with a 2x12 cab would work. Even with his discount it was still a bit expensive.. so I asked about the Vintage Series. He said it's less versitale but if I wanted to go that route I should get the Vt50 and 2x12 cab. He said tube combos are bad news because the tubes rattle around.

I want to spend about 600-650 bucks. I don't like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 and I liked the crunch of the Marshall Haze.. but the clean was mediocre. By the way, is a 2x12 combo needed or is a 1x12 good?

Basically, I need a bigger amp what do you recommend?

I apologize for orginally posting this in the wrong spot. Thanks for telling me to post here! I've never made one of these before.
Carvin make very solid amps. They sell direct, and so don't have to deal with dealers inflated prices.

The X100B is a very solid amp, and it will do the type of tone you want just fine. If you have that kind of great deal, I would say go ahead.

I use a carvin legacy and a 2x12 cabinet. I've found it to be the best of both worlds. combos are super heavy...a 1x12 doesn't really have the response I want..4x12s are fun to wheel into shows for about a year, and then you realize what a pain in the ass they are to transport. A 2x12 is a lot easier to move around, and the better made ones (earcandy, vader etc) approach the response and presence of a 4x12 IMO.
If you can afford the X100B, I think you will be happier with it than with the Vintage series. Both are great amplifiers, but the X100B is more versatile and has much better lead tones; particularly for the heavy stuff. Like most Carvin amplifiers, it is freakishly loud.

Carvin amplifiers are first-rate. I've had two of them for years and I have been very pleased with them both.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Something is odd with my computer.. i think i already posted this but its gone.

Anyways..
Hello guys! Well I don't know much about the big elite amps.. I have a roland cube now. Anyways. I am trying to start up a rock band (we will start with covers of stuff my the Foo Fighters, ZZ Top, etc). My favorite guitar tones are Santana's in general and Andy Timmon's on Electric Gypsy.

My dad knows a guy from Carvin who can get me quite a bit of money off my purchase (I think its about 30%). I want a tube amp. He says for practicing out in the driveway (yeah we won't have a garage lol) and for small indoor and outdoor gigs the Carvin X100B Head with a 2x12 cab would work. Even with his discount it was still a bit expensive.. so I asked about the Vintage Series. He said it's less versitale but if I wanted to go that route I should get the Vt50 and 2x12 cab. He said tube combos are bad news because the tubes rattle around.

I want to spend about 600-650 bucks. I don't like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 and I liked the crunch of the Marshall Haze.. but the clean was mediocre. By the way, is a 2x12 combo needed or is a 1x12 good?

Basically, I need a bigger amp what do you recommend?
The X100 is a nice amp but it's really loud and you have to spend a bit of time to sculpt a decent tone.

I say use that Carvin discount and check out the Carvin V3. It's a very versatile amp and you can manage many tones out of it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by rocknblues6
Isnt the V3 more like "metal"

i'm looking for a heavy bluesy sound.

Well, you can dial it in for metal, but you can also dial it back, it's all in how you set the amp up. You could always run pedals through the amp. The clean channel takes pedals fairly well if you can't find a suitable tone with the drive channel.

Hey, it's cheaper than the X100B and it doesn't cost anything to try it.

I'm sure there are more suitable amps in your price range. There are lots of helpful people will chime in. I'm just thinking about your discount is all. What can I say I'm a penny pincher.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Lol I need a 2x12 cab too! And unfortunately I live on the east cost.. so i cant try it first.

anyone know anything about the vintage series carvins?
Quote by rocknblues6
Lol I need a 2x12 cab too! And unfortunately I live on the east cost.. so i cant try it first.

anyone know anything about the vintage series carvins?

I can't say for the entire series but I have tried one of those Belair or whatever the mid wattage amp is called. Wasn't a big fan, I got a very mushy tone and whenever I would try to dial it out it would get too much too harsh. Wasn't a fan of how to amp sounded broken up naturally (cranked). Also the attenuator sucks all the tone out of it. Useless

Although I'm a picky bastard...

EDIT: They make a V3 combo I'm pretty sure, an X100B one too. Then you wouldn't need a cab.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ive heard that tube combo speakers abuse the tubes and cause them to rattle. is this "rattling" audible?

and when you say that these amps are "loud" could i control them? There are only three places I'll play: inside miced up, outside not miced up (we practice outside.. the drummers garage is too full), and of course in my bedroom.

maybe the x100 combo.. because even at 30% off the v3 will run up to 750 bucks after shipping. and the x100 will be 645 aftershipping.

on a completely unrelated note.. would the marshall haze be loud enough to use outside jamming?
whoa i found it! (i accidently double posted this thread under a different name).

How is the x100B lead tone "better"

Would the x100B piss off my parents? (with its volume)
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Go for it,

Carvin are already brilliant value for money so with an added discount it'll be a killer deal and pretty much unbeatable for the price.

Which one do you prefer? And in a combo or 2x12 halfstack setup?
So I did some math and I made some estimates at pricing and what not. Here are my options:

This one is out..
x100 halfstack (2x12 cab): over $800 TOO EXPENSIVE

Remaining options:
Carvin x100 2x12 combo: $640
Carvin Vt50 Halfstack (2x12 cab): $650
Carvin Nomad (1x12 combo): $425
Carvin Nomad + a 1x12 ext. cab: $600
Carvin Belair (2x12 combo): $525
Marshall Haze (1x12 combo): $630

PS: BOOO FENDER HOT ROD DELUXE
a half stack would be a head plus 4x12.

I would save up for the x100b and 2x12. You can get an avatar cab for pretty cheap that'll tide you over for now. The combos are VERY HEAVY. If you can deal with that, fine, but I found it to be an unnecessary hassle. You definitely won't head tubes rattle, but being in the same casing as speakers isn't the best for them. Combo ventilation will also not be that great.

I've never actually used an x100b, so can't say for certain, but my legacy is ridiculously loud. you can always put a volume box or pedal in the effects loop to use as a master volume.