hey, I just switched from .009 to .013s on my seven string ibanez. The tone is really sick but the problem is that I can't shred on them. Shall I go back to 10s maybe 11s or shall I just (re)learn to shred on these?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I don't know how people can bend good with 13s, unless you drop tune everything or have fingers like the hulk.
just relearn to shred on the 13s
in fact what i do i have heavy strings on my acoustc guitar and i play on that when i move to my electric its preety sweet like playing nothing at all nothing at all
I do believe Alex Skolnik shreds like a bastard on 13s, it's perfectly doable, just means you'll need to train your fingers for it
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
Hell, some of those crazy gypsy guys are on like .16s.

Yeah but... they're crazy gypsys... CRAZY I SEZ!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have found that thicker gauge strings are harder to bend and you have to pick them harder. However high action is what makes playing the hardest. I have a fender with .013s tuned to Eb and it is much harder to play than my Gibson ES-335 using the same strings tuned to E standard. It is because the fender's action is so much higher than the Gibson's. Personally I find it frustrating to play on .009s. They just sound weak. You can't attack them as hard...And I usually break them within a day. So can you shred on .013s? Sure...But if all you play is shred then I would recommend going to .010s. (this is why I have more than one guitar) As far as tone goes,...I think there are ways to adjust the EQ in order to compensate for string thickness. I usually don't have to crank the bass as much with thicker strings.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
i hope you made a full set up to that guitar. switching from 9's to 13's is a HUGE jump.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I would honestly recommend going down to .11s or even .12s There's going to be minimal tone difference with .11s and nearly none with .12s, but you notice a huge difference in playability
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09