well... i've owned a standard USA strat for 2 years now and it's about the perfect guitar... it plays perfectly and i absolutely love the sound, especially the sound of the bridge pickup... however i'm looking to get something so i can play more havey stuff, but still keep the funky bridge sound... i was wondering whether i should experimet with pickups a bit... i've seen a lot of strats with hot rails pickups... how do these work?... are you still able to get that clean classic strat out of them?

suggestions, please!
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Im not positive, but I think you can get single coil size rail humbuckers that have 4 wires, allowing you to "coil tap" via a push/pull pot (usually on the tone knob).

This should basically let you get that nice fat bridge humbucker sound, but also (if they are voiced well) still let you get that nice edgy strat bridge single coil sound.

EDIT: Yes, Iron Gears rail humbucker has 4 wires, allowing you to split the coils and get singlecoil tones, its quite a hot pickup though so not sure how well it'd balance with your middle and neck pups.
Last edited by Wesbanez at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Wesbanez
Im not positive, but I think you can get single coil size rail humbuckers that have 4 wires, allowing you to "coil tap" via a push/pull pot (usually on the tone knob).

This should basically let you get that nice fat bridge humbucker sound, but also (if they are voiced well) still let you get that nice edgy strat bridge single coil sound.

i see... and i would need another pot then, right?
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
i see... and i would need another pot then, right?

Yes you would need a new pot (a push/pullpotentiometer) to replace your volume or tone (depending on how you want to wire it).
well i have a marshall valvestate amp (the older series made in uk) and so far i'm quite happy with it... i michg change it for an all tube amp, but this one serves me well... I dont use the distortion of the amp anyway... i'm using my pedalboard to create the desired sound, the amp just amplifies it!
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ