How do I harmonize pentatonic melodic and harmonic minor? Do I take every other note like I do with major and minor? Thanks
you don't generally, you harmonise their diatonic equivalents - pentatonic scales don't contain all the notes you need to form the chords you'd use them over.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 29, 2010,
What could I use melodic and harmonic minor over? I knew that about the pentatonic but I just learned the other two that I love from watching malmsteen.
So it'd be a V major7th?

Also, are the melodic/harmonic minor like pentatonic I can switch between minor and melodic/harmonic minor? Can I use these with major scales to?
Last edited by cj_lespaul at May 29, 2010,
@mdwallin, That is completely false. Harmonic and melodic minor are (as I've said before) harmonised to create chords and chord progressions extremely often in jazz. You simply stack thirds (aka tertian harmony) to create a chord to whatever extension you desire. In fact, you'd be surprised how many strange and interesting chords are created from melodic minor (despite its meager single degree variation of the major scale) and how commonly this technique is applied.

I won't bother listing out each chord type associated with each specific degree of the harmonic and melodic minor scales, due to the fact that one could do this fairly easily in the first place, but I will point out some interesting tidbits on the matter. For example, in harmonic minor both the IV and V produce dom7 chords, and every type of seventh chord is present when the scale is harmonized. I can't remember much about melodic minor's chords (it is very late here after all), but I probably will in the morning.

EDIT:

Quote by cj_lespaul
So it'd be a V major7th?

Also, are the melodic/harmonic minor like pentatonic I can switch between minor and melodic/harmonic minor? Can I use these with major scales to?

No, that's not how it works (well, it does and it doesn't). I have to get some rest now, I'll explain tomorrow if someone doesn't save me the trouble.
Last edited by canvasDude at May 29, 2010,
The V chord contains the seventh degree of the scale as it's third.

In a natural minor this would make the V chord minor, but in a harmonic minor, the seventh degree is raised so the V chord would become Major.
Use counterpoint
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by canvasDude

I won't bother listing out each chord type associated with each specific degree of the harmonic and melodic minor scales, due to the fact that one could do this fairly easily in the first place, but I will point out some interesting tidbits on the matter. For example, in harmonic minor both the IV and V produce dom7 chords, and every type of seventh chord is present when the scale is harmonized. I can't remember much about melodic minor's chords (it is very late here after all), but I probably will in the morning.

Chord iv in harmonic minor is a minor chord.

Harmonic minor - i7( Min/maj7) iio7 (half diminished) III+7 (7aug) iv7 (min7) V7 (dom7) VI7 (Maj7) viidim7(dim7)

Melodic minor - i7 ii III+ IV7 V7 #vio7 viiodim7

Melodic minor descending - ib7 (minor 7th) iio7 (half diminished) III7 (maj7) iv (minor 7th) v7 (minor 7th) VI7 (maj7) bVII7 (dom7).
Last edited by griffRG7321 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
Chord iv in harmonic minor is a minor chord.

Harmonic minor - i7( Min/maj7) iio7 (half diminished) III+7 (7aug) iv7 (min7) V7 (dom7) VI7 (Maj7) viidim7(dim7)

Melodic minor - i7 ii III+ IV7 V7 #vio7 viiodim7

Melodic minor descending - ib7 (minor 7th) iio7 (half diminished) III7 (maj7) iv (minor 7th) v7 (minor 7th) VI7 (maj7) bVII7 (dom7).

Thank you for the corrections/supplemental information. I got harmonic minor confused with melodic minor on the topic of dom7 chords on the IV and V.