Page 1 of 3
hey guys, i've noticed that the 8 string guitar is really taking off now just like the 7 string did when it first came out in the late 90's. the era of nu metal

anyway i love the sound of the 8 string and i know that meshuggah and after the burial use them so im wondering if you guys could help me find some more 8 string bands?

Cheers, from scotland
I think Dream Theater uses 8 -string. I could be wrong. Does Dragonforce? I dunno. Oh yeah, I don't have a problem with Nu-Metal, they just don't usually need the guitars they use.
Scale The Summit I think, don't really listen to them though so not sure. Tosin Abasi from Animals As Leaders uses 8 sometimes as well
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
yup he's a really interseting player. scale the summit hmm, not to keen on them and they use a high A for an eight string not a low F sharp. any death metal bands that use 8 strings? NOT deathcore bands, death metal bands?
Asesino

I think 8 strings are wayyy excessive.

6 strings are way cooler
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Whitechapel do, I think.

I also think they have three guitarist.

Even more 'crushing'.

Although I don't see the point in that many guitarists when they all just play the same thing.
More allowance for choreographed DANCE MOVES
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by --ATREYUROCK--
Whitechapel do, I think.

I also think they have three guitarist.

Even more 'crushing'.

Although I don't see the point in that many guitarists when they all just play the same thing.

They've stated that when one plays a lead, there will still be a two guitar rhythm. That and they were all friends and they couldn't let one go, Alex actually said he wanted to leave at first because he didn't like it.

Quote by The Wildchild
More allowance for choreographed DANCE MOVES

Nevermind what I said, this is the answer.

Edit = Whitechapel is using 8 strings on their new album, drop E with B down to A, as stated by Alex on sevenstring.org
Scar Symmetry uses them on Dark Matter Dimensions. Fear Factory uses them on Mechanize. Periphery uses them here and there. Meshuggah uses them all the time.

The majority of the 8-string bands and bands that tune that low on 7 strings that I know of are djent. For the purpose of learning songs, I'd say 8 strings are kind of silly.
Quote by tancanada
Really good djent

This is an oxymoron.

Anyways, Pig Destroyer uses 8 strings now.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Ihsahn on After.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I love the chugging/pounding sound Fear Factory and Meshuggah produce from 8-strings but I hate the overuse of it that this new djent thing has done
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Quote by metalplayer0-1
nah DT use 6 and 7's and dragonforce are a 6 string band

Dragonforce used 8s on Ultra Beatdown, for some of the solos and for the lower notes in the rhythm playing, nothing too serious, but still used.
Quote by Steve08
Animals as Leaders on some songs, mostly 7 string standard though.

7-string, Drop D.
BDADGBE
Quote by fumb duck
I love the chugging/pounding sound Fear Factory and Meshuggah produce from 8-strings but I hate the overuse of it that this new djent thing has done

Necromantia use an 8-string bass guitar. This of course helps you in no way, but I thought I'd mention it.

Listen to Necromantia.
Quote by Magero

At least that's original :<
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Deftones used 8 string guitars on their latest album, Diamond Eyes. Their guitarist, (last name Carpenter I believe), always used 7 strings, and now is using 8. I believe he also has a signature ESP!

I know they're nu-metal, and I don't know many people really listen to them as they would back then, but I think he had a great tone with it on the album.
I don't know about you guys but I'm getting really sick of like, deathcore bands using all these 7 and 8 strings.. it's pretty much 'common knowledge' to all deathcore bands and crap that if you wanna be brutal you need to tune down to like drop P or something hahah.

Who agrees?
Quote by Madcona
I don't know about you guys but I'm getting really sick of like, deathcore bands using all these 7 and 8 strings.. it's pretty much 'common knowledge' to all deathcore bands and crap that if you wanna be brutal you need to tune down to like drop P or something hahah.

Who agrees?

I believe Fredrik Thordendal of Meshuggah uses an 8-string Ibanez model.
Way to not read the OP, dude.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by NotFromANUS
Necromantia use an 8-string bass guitar. This of course helps you in no way, but I thought I'd mention it.

Listen to Necromantia.

This.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
yeah i knew dragonforce used an 8 on 'supersonic ultra wizard beatdown' (or whatever immature nerdy title they gave their last album) but they didn't use it much so i didn't bother saying
Quote by Steve08
Really? That's curious... do you know why he does it that way?

Just likes like how the chords and fingering works out, I guess.
But it's definitely true. He's pointed it out in a few interviews.
Quote by theFACEdude
Scale The Summit I think, don't really listen to them though so not sure. Tosin Abasi from Animals As Leaders uses 8 sometimes as well

Actually Tosin Abasi uses 8's exclusively on his album. And one of the STS uses an 8 exclusively on there album as well
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
Actually Tosin Abasi uses 8's exclusively on his album.

He doesn't use them "exclusively". A good majority of the tracks are done with a 7-string in Drop D with a low B.
Quote by Magero
Dragonforce used 8s on Ultra Beatdown, for some of the solos and for the lower notes in the rhythm playing, nothing too serious, but still used.

7-string, Drop D.
BDADGBE

Actually all the songs I'm familar with are 8 strings tuned EBEADGBE. Thats why they don't need a bassist.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Quote by NY_FootBall49
Actually all the songs I'm familar with are 8 strings tuned EBEADGBE. Thats why they don't need a bassist.

1. He used the 7-string most of the album.
2. There are bass tracks on the album, just not live.
3. They only use 8-strings live because that way they don't have to switch between guitars for songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt8IwLeFM38

There's plenty of interviews where he explains his tuning, and a mate of mine has GP tabs from Tosin himself in BDADGBE.
Quote by Magero
1. He used the 7-string most of the album.
2. There are bass tracks on the album, just not live.
3. They only use 8-strings live because that way they don't have to switch between guitars for songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt8IwLeFM38

There's plenty of interviews where he explains his tuning, and a mate of mine has GP tabs from Tosin himself in BDADGBE.

Share those tabs please and in On Impulse Tosin is playing that bass note and he's tuned to EBEADGBE and I'm pretty sure its the same with The Price of Everything The Value of Nothing

Quote by RU Experienced?
Most of the clean songs are the 8, but I'm positive that almost all the "metal" songs are with a 7.

And I wish I had the tabs man. He won't share them with anyone, but the one for CAFO is insane.
Page 1 of 3