Page 1 of 2
I'm looking into buying a new guitar, and I'm debating whether or not to get one with an FR-style trem.
Does messing around with the whammy bar just lose it's appeal after a while? Is it worth the extra hassle that's put in every time you want to tune?
What are your thoughts?

(+ I play mostly metal, but I jam blues and jazz from time to time too)
I've never had one and I was asking myself that exact same question haha!
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
there alot of fun if you know how to use them and your going to be using the wammy alot
The novelty will wear off soon as you either break a string, or decide to change string guages.
;-)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
The novelty will wear off soon as you either break a string, or decide to change string guages.
;-)

this.
i wouldnt personally get one because its a pain in the ass to change strings. I do like the look of it though.
"your mind is a mountain before you"
i agree with above but then i hear alex lifeson play and i feel like i need one. Then i get one and i don't know how to use it right
Just my pinion but I prefer a floyd over a fixed bridge because of the tuning stability. It is a slight pain to change tunings and strings but In reality it is not that bad unless you possess the patience of a falling rock. Once you have it set, it is set pretty much. I have gigged tom bridge guitars along side other hardtails along side floyd guitars and by a longshot, the floyd guitars held their tune and set up better than the others. Especially during transportation. I am sure many will disagree with me but that is the reason they make so many different flavors of ice cream. We all like different things.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
once you`ve gotten over the basic dive-bombs and harmonic squeals and start using it properly in your songs and hearing how the bar can be used musically then it never loses it`s appeal.

for playing blues etc it should offer no problems if the bridge has been set up and maintained correctly

....oh btw peeps I`M BACK *after a self inflicted sabbatical...
i had one for a while, and it was fun til i broke a string. After i changed the string, the floyd got messed up and wasn't floated correctly, and then the guitar wouldn't stay in tune. I sent it to the company, and it was never the same.

If you decide to get one, it'll be a hassle, but if you get good at using it/maintaining it, it would be worth it!
it really depends on your trem use. they do stay in tune but of course there is a price to pay. as mentioned changing tunings is a pain to say the least. it is highly recommended to pick a tuning for a floyded guitar as well as a string gauge and stick with it. once the guitar is set up with those specfics it is much easier to deal with. you also have to learn about changing the strings which is intimidating at first as well. once these things are learned then it won't seem like such a big deal.

the novelty of making crazy dive bombs and high pitched squealies will probably wear off after a couple of weeks. then it comes down to how much and what you actually use the trem for.
I hardly use mine, I think they are basically a gimmick. At the end of the day they are annoying to set up and are just another thing that could go wrong at a show.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Honestly I never touch my guitar that has a Floyd now. I like the sounds that you can make with a vibrato, but the reality of playing with one just kills it. Hell I just updated one of my Strats (traditional vibrato) and even that, I changed the bridge, kept it floating for about six minutes, remembered why I hate having vibratos and locked the bridge down again.

I think you're either a vibrato person or you're not. It's not something you're going to use once in a while. Either you're fine and happy with a hardtail bridge or you want to use the vibrato a lot, pick your poison.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you just want a FR for its novelty, then theres no point. If the music you play incorporated lots of vibrato then go for it - theyre alot of hassle but you will get used to it.

Of course you could always just buy a trem pedal :-)
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by MrFlibble

I think you're either a vibrato person or you're not. It's not something you're going to use once in a while. Either you're fine and happy with a hardtail bridge or you want to use the vibrato a lot, pick your poison.

agreed. there's not much point in asking, because all the floyd fans will tell you they're awesome, and all the haters will tell you they're a pain in the ass (observe the existing answers in this thread if you don't believe me). It depends on which you are, rather than which answers you get- it doesn't affect how much you'll like a floyd if random_jim_online_666 doesn't like floyds, for example.

if you aren't sure which you are, have a couple of guitars. or try a lot more in guitar shops and don't buy one until you are sure.

It's worth pointing out that a lot of the problems which floyds allegedly have are also problems with any floating trem (e.g. strat-style trems), though I guess you can easily convert them to non-floating (which can also be done for a floyd with e.g. a tremol-no).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 29, 2010,
I know it wore off for me. But then you look at players such as Joe Satriani and EVH and they have always used FRs. I don't think you will be able to decide prior to owning one whether or not you like FRs or not. It took me about a year with my ibanez to decide that I can't stand them. I dont think I will ever EVER buy a floyd-equipped guitar again. You may just have to take the plunge and own one for a while to find out whether you will like em or not.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
They're fun to play around with and the tuning stability (on a good one) is amazing and if you stick to the same string gauge/tuning with it changing strings isn't too bad at all as long as you block of the trem in the back or buy a tremol-no

EDIT: 2 of the 3 guitars I play most have floyds (one is a BC Rich LFR and one is a Speedloader OFR)
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Last edited by skwelcher at May 29, 2010,
Quote by bean-o
I don't think you will be able to decide prior to owning one whether or not you like FRs or not.

yeah, that's the big problem, unfortunately. and that becomes its own self-fulfilling prophecy, because if you aren't sure if you like floyds or not, you're likely to cheap out, and the one thing you don't want to do with a floyd is cheap out, because cheap floyds really are *that* bad, and will make you hate them whether you might be a floyd fan or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 29, 2010,
Quote by cjb2293
i had one for a while, and it was fun til i broke a string. After i changed the string, the floyd got messed up and wasn't floated correctly, and then the guitar wouldn't stay in tune. I sent it to the company, and it was never the same.

If you decide to get one, it'll be a hassle, but if you get good at using it/maintaining it, it would be worth it!

Sounds to me like you just didnt know what you were doing lol.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
personally ive always found it an easy decision and thats no purely because i only have the 1 guitar and change tuning regular.

when i used to stick to to being tuned down a step i had one and they are fun and no where near the pain that all the flloyd haters make them out to be aslong as you know what your doing when you change the strings etc.

if you have never had a guitar with one its worth a try even if you dont like it there very easy to block.

Simple version.

Stick to 1 tuning = Get one
Stick to 2 or more tunings = dont bother unless you have more then 1 guitar.
It's a tool. Either you need one or your don't. Based on the type of music you play, or want to play, decide if you really need it. If you do, you'll learn to love it.

If you don't need it then you will save a bunch of money and you will have to do less relaxation exercises prior to setting up the &!!@X!!ing thing!!!
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
I didn't find mine on my old guitar to be too much of a pain in the ass, and it was even a licensed FR, but the novelty wore off really quickly. I hardly ever used the thing, and never use the vintage trem on my strat either. It just doesn't fit my style.
Here's the thing: If you would use the whammy bar a lot, then get one. If you wouldn't, then don't get one. Changing tunings is sort of a bitch, but if you're changing between something like drop C and D standard, then it doesn't even take 10 minutes.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by MrFlibble
Honestly I never touch my guitar that has a Floyd now. I like the sounds that you can make with a vibrato, but the reality of playing with one just kills it. Hell I just updated one of my Strats (traditional vibrato) and even that, I changed the bridge, kept it floating for about six minutes, remembered why I hate having vibratos and locked the bridge down again.

can't totally agree with you. the trem is a tool and sometimes it's called for and sometimes not. there is more to useing a bar than crazy vai or satriani theatrics as well. what do you mean by "the reality of playing with one kills it"? using them effectively takes time and practice like anything else on the guitar. i'm no floyd fan boy but have used them since they came out in the early 80s as a production option (Kramer guitars). i've recently went to standard fender style trems and have no problem making those work for me as well.
As a neutral party, yes they do. Getting my old js vibrato set up gave me that whammy trip as well. It gets pretty boring, plus floyds are real stiffd compared to say kahlers or fender dynamics.

However, they do have the advantage of lowering the strings on the body, which I like.
i never thought it was too bad. i had an old RG570 a while ago, with a full floating edge tremolo. the edge has a few key differences from the floyd, but if you can use / set up one, then you can use the other. once my guitar teacher taught me how to string and set the thing up i was pretty much good to go. hopefully i remember my stuff, because my next warmoth will have a floating floyd (that i'll most likely block off, but it'll have to be set up and floating correctly first).

i think they're a lot of fun. i'm a big paul gilbert / steve vai / steve stevens fan, so i guess i'll get a good amount of use out of it. plus with it blocked off i'll be able to loosen the locking nut, tune it like it's a hardtail, then lock it up and be able to divebomb. don't know how reliable the tuning would be if i did drop tune to much lower than just drop D, but i'll be finding out. i'm very excited for this floyd project! it's been too long since i've had a floyd to play with.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by monwobobbo
what do you mean by "the reality of playing with one kills it"?
I mean the fact that you can't do double stop techniques with a floating vibrato like a Floyd. You can never set the intonation perfectly. It's very hard to set the action you want, especially at the nut. Obviously, you can't change tunings easily. It is just not a practical tool by any means and if you're one of those people who wants to hurry up and play then you're a bit buggered. Yes, there is the argument that you could always block the bridge off if it ended up bothering you that much, but you would still be left with the majority of the problems. Then there's the simple sustain and tone problems Floyds give.

I like the idea of Floyds, but the reality is they are far too much of a pain in the arse for me. When someone makes a vibrato that doesn't need anything to be locked down, returns to tune perfectly every single time, can dive past an octave with minimal force on the bar but won't move when doing double stops, doesn't murder sustain, gives the same tone as most hardtails, cna be eaisly adjusted for full set up and can be re-tuned as I see fit, then I'll very happily get one. Like I said, I like the tones and effects a vibrato can add. It's just a shame that they are out-weighed so hugely by the negatives.

But then, that's me. I'm not at all surprised that there are some people who can't live without a vibrato of some form. Hence this thread.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, when I first got my BC Rich with a FR in it(got it for $150, I don't think the guy knew the bridge itself was $150...XD), I thought it was the funnest thing ever, and admittedly it was fun to mess with. But after I changed the strings the tension messed up, now it only goes one way. And...the bridge itself popped out of the guitar three times in the past two months and I've played it once. So...yes, I'd say the novelty wears off. Dramatically, to say the least.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Nope, the use of an FR never expires, it's always able to expand your musical abilities or your sound somehow. Never get tired of it.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I just returned an ESP with the "Floyd Rose Special" Trem, I HATED it. Picked up a MIM Strat and will never look back. Plus I get as much vibrato as I want.
My Gear-
2010 Ibanez S570DXQM 24-fretter
MIM Fender Standard Strat HSS Sierra Sunburst

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
It all depends of how much you think you gonna use it. If you're heavily into lead playing like Satriani's and Vai's style, then is a must. But if you like to change tunings often or replace the strings like twice in a month, stay away from it.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I just traded my Ibby that had a floating trem on it, (not a floyd, but, you know,) and it never lost it's appeal on me. I used it all the time in my playing, and always found it fun to come up with new techniques with it.

I traded it for a jackson dr7, which has a TOM style bridge, and I realized just how much I use the trem.
I'm a newb and didn't get one because I just wanted to learn how to play without dealing with the extra variable. I would eventually like to have and learn one though. Stupid question: Can't you basically do the same effects with a pedal?
Quote by Rt1Rebel
I'm a newb and didn't get one because I just wanted to learn how to play without dealing with the extra variable. I would eventually like to have and learn one though. Stupid question: Can't you basically do the same effects with a pedal?

I don't think you could, I'm pretty sure whammy pedals just go down, and even then just buying a FR-equipped guitar'd probably be cheaper...I'm not 100% though, never actually played on a whammy pedal.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
In my opinion, no, if you use them for more than imitating Dimebag. They can be tedious to maintain, but it's worth it when it never goes out of tune.

This may seem off topic, but with a locking nut Floyd-Rose, would you be able to leave off one of the pieces that locks on the nut to do a drop D tuning without throwing the A string out of whack?
Personally after about less than a month with my floyd equipped guitar. I see myself blocking it in the future just to have more tuning freedom.

I they made my guitar at the same price with a TOM I'd probably prefer it more.

But everyone's different. Thus the many opinions stated in this thread.
Page 1 of 2