Also why does my teacher insist that I pick exactly like that? Most of those parts I can do much more comfortably and faster with just straight alternate picking. I know I should ask this question my teacher but next lesson is next week and I'm curious.

V's are upstrokes and the other symbol is downstroke

Because using hammer ons and pulloffs creat a different effect then just alternate picking.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
I'm not talking about the legatos, I'm talking about the places where it is straight alternate picking and then it suddenly changed to just straight downstrokes
Quote by Shinami
I'm not talking about the legatos, I'm talking about the places where it is straight alternate picking and then it suddenly changed to just straight downstrokes

Well, there are differences in attack, volume and tone between up and down picking in most players. So maybe your teacher wants those notes to get the distinctive sound that downpicks provide.
Last edited by Warrior47 at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Shinami

Well, one of those straight sixteenth note beats would go (if you're alternate picking all four notes, which you aren't on any of those beats in this piece) down-up-down-up. Technically I guess you could say that the sixteenth note's still around on those eighth note beats but you're not playing anything on it, so there's an upstroke you're just not playing or something.

Though I guess that whether you'd alt-pick straight eighth notes or not depends on the situation. You've Got Another Thing Comin's main/intro riff is just a F#5 with the root on the low E, with straight eighth notes as the rhythm, but I personally play it with all downstrokes because it gives the riff a more "solid" sound, I guess you'd say.