Hello everyone!
I'm trying to achieve a high speed at picking and need some help to progress.I am self-taught so I learned everything by experimenting and seeing others playing the guitar. am currently trying to play some songs at a slower speed (even half of the original) using a metronome and progressing from there slowly by boosting the tempo.But I don't know how should I hold the pick to eliminate the bouncy effect of the string and have a better-sounding riff.I'm talking about alternate picking (downpicks and uppicks) on a single string.What would you suggest?Is there any specific technique?

I play mostly metalcore and need this stuff.
Thanks for your time and help.
Nick
You play metalcore, thus you dont deserve a reply!

lmao, just joking

Are you talking about Tremolo Picking?
i actually started by learning to do burst type stuff like -0-000-0-000 and like -0000- etc and then got so i could consistently do that and then tried long slower bursts sort of for like tremolo picking then once i could tremolo pick well and skip around strings while doing it to alternate pick at a slower pace which is not too difficult of a progression it seemed very natural i didnt sit down and try to learn this technique or that (im self taught too and play mostly at the gates, bloodbath, death etc.) it just kind of took time. Whats definitely good is to play it clearly and slowly and work your way up though; I had to kind of relearn some songs since i had made the muscle memories sloppily.
I'm talking about the technique that is used by bands like Lamb of God.Like the quick burst type stuff that AtTheGates\m/ is talking about (mostly 0000000 but in incredible speed).Hope that helps as I don't know what tremolo picking is sorry.Thanks for the help by the way
Ok dude, give me an example of a LOG song and i will see if i can help you with this
It's simple, but lots of work to get right - make sure your picking motions are small and accurate, and make sure you are staying relaxed. Pay attention to how your shoulder and bicep feels. If your shoulder hunches up or your biceps starts burning you are tensing. Make sure most of the motion is coming from your wrist, but dont lock your forearm, it's ok and good for your elbow to move a bit.
Even though your goal is to pick fast, spend plenty of time practicing slow with max attention on making sure your technique is good. It sounds counter-intuitive, but really it isn't - you build the good technique habits slow to the point where you can still keep the good technique when going faster.
Quote by se012101
It's simple, but lots of work to get right - make sure your picking motions are small and accurate, and make sure you are staying relaxed. Pay attention to how your shoulder and bicep feels. If your shoulder hunches up or your biceps starts burning you are tensing. Make sure most of the motion is coming from your wrist, but dont lock your forearm, it's ok and good for your elbow to move a bit.
Even though your goal is to pick fast, spend plenty of time practicing slow with max attention on making sure your technique is good. It sounds counter-intuitive, but really it isn't - you build the good technique habits slow to the point where you can still keep the good technique when going faster.

i second this notion

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Thanks for your replies!I started out with Ruin to be honest as I thought that it would be the easiest to practice this technique.I can play fluently the whole song at 160-170 bpm and I man reach 200+.I find myself tired in the middle of the song through and can't keep up with it if I speed up the tempo.I think that the most energy goes in the parts where I should change between picking a single chord and 3 or 4 chords as I tend to change my hand position in this situation. (single string picking comes more from the wrist while my hand rests on the bridge and 3 strings picking more from the elbow something like a bigger movement) Should it be like this?
Its hard to say from your description.

Are we talking about 2.50 secs into the song where it gets very fast?

All i can say for the moment is keep practicing at the speed your comfortable at, and try and develop your palm mute technique on Open Chords.

This probably wasnt much help but its hard to say because i cant see you playing.
I understand.Yes can't keep up with the song at 2,50 secs.Thanks for the help I will watch some other people playing it and learn from it.At the time,it seems that I have to work on my endurance too.My right hand seems to hurt after playing fast maybe it is due to my lack of experience.Thank you very much.
I would like to know if there is a right and wrong hand placement on the guitar's body thought to be sure that I'm not learning wrong.I tend to place my hand on the bridge with the pinky touching the last string (the upper one).I use this position when I play some king of melodies or quick strokes on one string.When I play open chords it seems that my hand looses it's position,( I don't rest it on the bridge it's more like in the air).
Hmmmmm how long have you been playing?
Endurance comes with time, don't get bummed out about it! Metalcore has some intricate playing even if it is just open palm mutes so it will come in time.

Your hand technique sounds fine, it will develop when time goe's on.
Basically Your not doing anything drastically terrible!
I'm playing for about 5-6 months.Maybe it sounds a short time to try playing songs like that but I didn't find any factor that would hold me back (I did just fine playing more slow-paced songs from bands like A Day to Remember,Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle that was more chord-based) and wanted to try something more difficult.I have also an 8-year piano playing experience that has helped me strengthen my fingers and very good basis on music theory.
That's why I tried to play songs of that level.
Thank you very much for your support I appreciate it!Maybe I need some time and practice.I usually play exercises like sweeps,scales using a metronome (not into tapping yet).Hope that helps
I