So yesterday i traveled almost 2 hours to go to a music shop that had a ton of amps i was interested in, and i have narrowed it down to 2 amplifiers.

The Mesa Road King 2 and the Engl Powerball 2.

I used my schecter C1+ through the amps, and both sounded great, so therefore i'm torn between the two and need some assistance deciding.

I'm just going to note a few things i noticed while playing.

The Mesa Road King is extremely versatile! Tons of amp sounds and options for each individual channel. Through my guitar, clean harmonics were outstanding sounding, but the articulation on the distortion wasn't quite like the ENGL.

The ENGL sustained like no other amp (was truly amazing) and the distorted harmonics were great! Clean channel still sounded good, but wasn't quite as clean as the mesa, and the amp overall didn't have as many options as the Road King.

Any suggestions?
Out of all the ENGL amps, the Powerball one is probably the only one I'd never want to buy. It's a matter of personal taste. I'd go for the Road King though, put a Tube screamer in there to make it sound tighter, if that's what you mean by "Articulate".
Well I would say that you check out an Engl Savage 120, i recently bought one and i tested alot of different amps. including the powerball and a new Mesa Boogie dual rectifier. The savage is very articulate but not artificial compressed like a powerball. It also has more sound options than a powerball because the only channels i found usefull on the powerball where channel 1 and channel 3. The mesa boogie rectifier i found to be way to loose in the bottom and i didn't like the overall voicing (instant metallica). the roadking is supposed to be a deluxe version so i don't know how they compare. anyway if you want even more options but an engl sound i would also look at the engl special edition (6L6) version.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
Last edited by dnamra13 at May 29, 2010,
I tried out the savage while i was at the shop, and the clean wasn't nearly as good as the other two, so the savage is off my list for that reason. I might have to check into the special edition version though.

Thanks for the recommendation!

For over 2 grand, i just wanna make sure i'm getting the right tones for me (pop-punk/hardcore, and alternative rock sounds)

EDIT: I also should note that the Powerball II is slightly different tone wise from the Powerball I
Last edited by cjb2293 at May 29, 2010,
so what do you actually seek in an amp tone wise? also in which way is the powerball II different, in terms of tone?. i spoke to an Engl rep at the frankfurt music messe and he told me that they didn't change the tone but only the controls (more active and more control of gain).
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
The main things i'm looking for are a warm clean sound, good sustain, and a tight high gain. Amp wise i want a descent bit of tone options though as well.

I may be wrong then if the guy said they are the same, but i thought it was a little more bold sounding than the original.
Dude, the Roadking is way better than the powerball. I'd say the new rectifier is in the same league as the powerball, but the Roadking is Savage and SE material.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^ +1 (I haven't tried the new recto, but I've tried the old one, and i haven't tried the savage but have the savage se). You're not really comparing like with like.

Road King versus powerball? roadking, no question. Assuming both are the same price, and you have no other options. Both are pretty gigantic (to the point of being wrong) assumptions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Um... you guys know we are talking about the Powerball 2 here, righto? I haven't tried it yet, but who's saying it's exactly like the first Powerball?

But if it really is much like the first one, the Road King would be the better option in most cases. The Powerball's a high gainer mainly and anything that isn't br00tlz sounds so-so on it.
^i agree with thequailman. i heard a good amount of clips from the powerball 2 and it sounds really organic and not all compressed like the first one, so its really preference.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by cjb2293
sounds like the Road King is the winner

no, sounds like you haven't given us enough information.

Quote by TheQuailman
Um... you guys know we are talking about the Powerball 2 here, righto? I haven't tried it yet, but who's saying it's exactly like the first Powerball?

But if it really is much like the first one, the Road King would be the better option in most cases. The Powerball's a high gainer mainly and anything that isn't br00tlz sounds so-so on it.

touché, I missed that. I've only tried the first version of the original powerball.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've heard the Powerball 2 is quite a step up from the original, but I've never played either, so I can't really compare. The Road King is a great amp though, but would I buy it new? Not a chance, many other amps out there I'd rather have for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've heard the Powerball 2 is quite a step up from the original, but I've never played either, so I can't really compare. The Road King is a great amp though, but would I buy it new? Not a chance, many other amps out there I'd rather have for the price.

+1

I would buy a Splawn, or possibly a Baron if I was spending that kind of money.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yeah for what you are looking for I'd say a Baron K88 or K2 or a used VHT/Fryette Ultralead. Both have amazing clean channels while still being articulate as shit with distortion. Those two amps will also never get lost in a mix...I would know

If it's only down to those two I'd go for the Mesa only because the Powerball gets lost in the mix. Not sure if the Powerball II fixed that issue but the first one was terrible...
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Roadking II. It is killer!
2010 Fender American Special Strat (HSS)
1996 MIJ Fender Jag-Stang
Yamaha CPX700-12 (12-string acoustic-electric)
Epiphone acoustic-electric
1970's Fender Twin Reverb
Mesa/Boogie Roadster 212
Dunlop 535Q Wah
MXR 6-band eq
other random gear
If your looking for a 'tight' distortion then maybe you'd prefer a Mark V over the Roadking. The Rectifiers are known for having a looser bottom end so it won't be as articulate and tight as the ENGL. The Mark has plenty of options and i've heard great things about the clean channel too
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TheQuailman

I've tried it 2 weeks ago, and it's very much like the original. Only the voicing is a bit different, and it cuts ALOT better through the mix.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl