Ok, so I'm wondering about these three pickups. I wanna replace the pickups in my Ibanez Xiphos, but I dont know which to choose. First, whats the sound difference between the EMGs and the Xs? And then, opinions on which is better? I've been listening to sound clips online to try and decide. Just so ya know, I'm into bands like Trivium, Mutiny Within, All That Remains, Divine Heresy, Killswitch Engage, etc. I want a good distortion metal tone for the bridge that can handle shredding and rhythms well, and a good clean pickup for the neck. thanks
honestly if you want a good clean tone i wouldnt go for emg's or actives in general, get a dmarzio d'avtivator in the bridge and a seymour peraly gates in the neck
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
I have a Blackout in my guitar and it suits me really well and I think it sounds awesome. It doesn't sound as thin as the EMG's i've used however I couldn't pass comment on the EMG-X.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
@Skagasm
what i meant about the clean thing is i want something that still has a good clean tone for when i go back to it. 90% of the time i use distortion, but I want something that still works the other 10%. the stock pickups currently in my xiphos get decent distortion and good clean.
Quote by Skagasm
honestly if you want a good clean tone i wouldnt go for emg's or actives in general, get a dmarzio d'avtivator in the bridge and a seymour peraly gates in the neck

Xiphos already comes with D'Activators
Quote by Skagasm

this, orrrrr, the dimarzio d-activator x's are really nice. they have more output than my esp with an 81/85 set in them. and the cleans are just amazing. pus they dont cost as much. but i play alot of what you play, and i love the DAX's for it.

Edit: wow okay, so i missed the fact that you already have a xiphos with DA's in it... well all i can say now is that the DAX's are hotter and well.. better ha..
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
I like having active EMG 81/85 or 81/60. I would get some of those an drop them in your xiphos. I know the lead player for All that remains uses those in one of his Xiphos he plays live.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
yea, the DAs are nice, but on the distorted stuff they aren't as hot as i expected. and the harmonics on the low strings are pretty lame compared to the squealies you can get with the ones i listed. i really dig the clean tones, but i need to get a bit more from the distrotion
Quote by lmpguitarist
yea, the DAs are nice, but on the distorted stuff they aren't as hot as i expected. and the harmonics on the low strings are pretty lame compared to the squealies you can get with the ones i listed. i really dig the clean tones, but i need to get a bit more from the distrotion

If you can't get enough distortion with those pickups then there's gotta be something wrong with your amp.

Also, EMGs will NOT give you better pinch harmonics... Thats all in your technique. You should be able to get pinches on any guitar, including an acoustic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you can't get enough distortion with those pickups then there's gotta be something wrong with your amp.

+1

i have a D activator x in the bridge of my six string rg, it does everything nicely once the amp is eq'ed right

the normal d activators have less, but still comparable distortion, it also matters what amp you're using, a plexi will not have anywhere near heavy metal pinches, but still, you should still get them decently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoYMvQa30w&playnext_from=TL&videos=JM6gWZQhqsk

at about 4:20 he starts playing panama by van halen, and specifically at 4:40 he does this hardcore pinch, NOTICE WHERE ON THE GUITAR HE DOES IT

this is a very difficult harmonic to get, and if you can get that to at least decent sounding, you're on the right track technique wise

alse check out cemetery gates by pantera to work on harmonics more
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
its not my technique, cuz i can get squealies that sound like zakk wylde on other guitars. my friend has a homemade guitar, really shitty wood and all, but he put EMG 81s in it, and i can get crazy squeals on it even tho the guitar itself is horrible.
as for my amp, i use a bugera 333xl
also as clarification, i can still get pinch harmonics with the d activators, i just cant make em squeal as much as on other guitars. i cant get the zakk wylde or killswitch engage styled squealies that u bend like f*** and its sounds super sick
then check the pup height, also, harmonics don't have tons of sustain, your amp is fine, you may just have slight issues with eq, volume, stuff like that, get other people to try on your guitar and see if they can do it, if so then idk, if not, then also, idk, there is nothing about your rig that should prevent perfect squeals
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by AcousticMirror
how hot are actives anyway

Not as hot as half the pickups you have

Maybe it's your guitar then, not the pickups. Guitars can have vastly different places in which pinch harmonics sound their best on. My PRS and Ibanez are both effortless for getting them where I usually have my picking hand when playing, but with my Gibson, I have to move quite a bit to get anything that sounds good (and it has EMGs)
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com