Does anyone elses guitar amps make a weird clicking and hissing sound while and when their not playing? I'm trying to record guitar but I cant get over the consistent clicks and hisses that my amp is making. Its only really noticeable when I'm turned up real loud but you have to be when you record.I'm using a marshall jcm 900 and a les paul gibson. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks
The only thing I could suggest is get a compressor (Hardware compressor, not the software one for your DAW) for your studio. It will help prevent some of the hiss of the amp when set right.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Or a noise suppressor... could be a lot of different things including cables, wiring, etc.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSNS2

another trick is to find a decent UPS Power supply and plug the amp into it - they have noise suppression in the better ones - like the ones for computers or home stereos but only a good one has the Noise Suppressors...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 29, 2010,
Quote by strangedogs
Or a noise suppressor... could be a lot of different things including cables, wiring, etc.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSNS2

another trick is to find a decent UPS Power supply and plug the amp into it - they have noise suppression in the better ones - like the ones for computers or home stereos but only a good one has the Noise Suppressors...

That's the way to go. I have one and it's great for that and also for some deathcore where you want to mute the strings really fast (Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris type breakdowns), it decreases the sound of your left hand touching the strings.
So I discovered that its somthing in my basement thats causing the clicking noise. When I moved the amp upstars and plugged it into the wall the clicking noise was gone. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the clicking sound in my house? I've turned everything off in my basement, lights, tvs, cellphones and all. Unplugged my internet and everything else in my house but its still happening.

Thanks
Its probably a bad circuit in your basement
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
pumps, furnaces, or like Lock said - just a noisy circuit. I'd say get a decent UPS (you can still use it plugged in) as they do have Noise supressing circuitry in them. The circuit I'd suspect is the one you're plugging in to. There may be something else on that circuit you haven't discovered yet.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Thats what I thought a bad circuit or something but I used an extension cord to plug it in from the outlet up stairs and it still clicks. It seems like the amp or the pickups on my guitar are picking up something thats causing the clicks, like a weird signal or something. I have no idea what it could be. When I'm using the amp upstairs the clicks are either gone or real quite but when im in the basement the clicks are noticeable and loud.

This is just real annoying problem.

also whats a ups?
Last edited by circa321 at May 31, 2010,
mine makes a clicking noise whenever i have my cellphone around it,so maybe you have something electronic around it that is interfering with it