Hey guys,

I have been playing the electric guitar for about a year. I've never had any musical training, just practice in my room and stuff.

Anywho, I have a few questions. Lately, I've been learning to play some riffs/solos over songs.

1. Can you play a pentatonic-based riff over any song? (i.e can you find a pentanic scale that will sound good over any song?)

2. What is a easy way to catch the key of the song?

3. How can I jump from pentatonic notes over to other scales? (Details please, I don't have much musical training)

Thanks guys
1. It works in practically any musical situation
2. The first chord that is played in a progression is usually the key
3. Quite easily, just mix the scales that work over the chords, however im not quite sure how to explain it.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
@3: Minor pentatonic easily extends to aeolian scale (natural minor), major pentatonic to ionian scale (natural major). It's just a matter of adding four notes to the pattern...
I reccomend getting a theory book and learning the circle of fifths and stuff. Its really usefull. explaining it in text is difficult and annoying
Quote by Lord_Vhailor
@3: Minor pentatonic easily extends to aeolian scale (natural minor), major pentatonic to ionian scale (natural major). It's just a matter of adding four notes to the pattern...

?

two notes actually - also there's little reason to bring modes into the discussion. The pentatonic scales have nothing to do with the modes, they relate to their major and minor equivalents.

It probably makes more sense to understand it the other way round, the minor pentatonic is the natural minor scale less two notes, the major pentatonic is the major scale less two notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com