Hey

Can anyone recomend any good ghost builders? Maybe something like a Japanese make that copies guitars exactly (not like toki or edwards) but without the expensive price tag. Specificly Gibson copies would be great.

Thanks
Are you familiar with Rondo Music?

http://rondomusic.com/

I don't own any of their instruments yet, but I've heard pretty good reviews, especially of their Les Paul copies. But they also have a pretty wide range of original models, including the least expensive eight-string guitars I've ever seen, and some pretty interesting 6-string models.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Most Ghostbuilders don't advertise because they don't want to get sued for copyright infringement. The most famous Ghost Build in recent memory was the Chris Derrig built Les Paul Standard made famous by Slash (R.I.P. Chris). John Bolin has done a number of Gibson Ghosts - usually through Ed Roman Guitars. I don't know if he still does them, and I'll bet they would cost a hell of a lot more than an authentic Gibson.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
A local, private luthier is the only thing you'll find that would do something like this. Even then, it will probably cost more than just buying the Gibson or whatever would do in the first place.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
How good are the guitars at rondo music, they seem really cheap to be anything worthwhile
They're average made-in-Asia quality (think Epiphone, Squier Classic Vibe series, ESP-LTD 50-256 models, etc). Anyone who tells you otherwise either hasn't got a clue what they're comparing them to or they're looking at them through rose-tinted glasses. They're not good because they're anything special, they're good because they're the same average guitars you get everywhere but they're a bit cheaper so you save a bit of cash.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Rondo are not a company I would class as ghost builders, the guitars are far from exact copies. Im looking for something exact to a Gibson but without the price. Much like what Slash recived from Alan Niven in 1987.
You maybe could build it? Just throwing it out there. It could be cheaper if you find the materials at the right price, and if you had the equip/know someone with the equip.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by RajjaJroach
Much like what Slash recived from Alan Niven in 1987.
That's a private luthier job then. No point asking on here unless someone comes along who just happens to live right next to you and knows all the luthiers in the area; your best bet is to look in local listings, ask in your local guitar shops. Be prepared for the fact that while it may not carry the same price tag as a Gibson, even the cheapest luthier build won't be that much cheaper than buying a Gibson/PRS/American Fender/etc. In fact a decent guitar from most good luthiers will end up costing more than those brands because private luthiers tend to pride themselves on their build quality (and especially the quality of their finishes).

Frankly, you'd almost certainly save more money by looking for a second hand Gibson.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw your sig. So... well, I am that person who lives near you who knows the luthiers in the area. Huh. What were the chances?

I suggest you get in touch with the guys at Vintage & Rare. They are always getting in second hand Gibsons that it would be worth you checking out, plus Andy at the Bath branch is a good luthier - though I've never inquired whether or not he would make a whole electric guitar. He's done quite a bit of work on a few of my electrics though and he's the only person in Bath or Bristol who I trust to ever touch my guitars, so there you go. At the very least, even if he won't make the guitar for you, they will know someone who will. Or like I said, they have lots of second hand Gibsons.

Edit #2: Oh yeah and I just saw your past thread about Duff's hair. I used to have hair like Duff, couple of years back. Grow your hair out for about a year, year and a half. Depends how quickly your hair grows and how thick your hair is. Then get it cut back to the right length. Don't go to a men's barber, go to an actual hair salon where you know they'll follow the picture or what you describe without giving you a half-arsed #3 all-over. Honestly, if a hair cut costs less than £25, it's probably been half-arsed; your hair is something you'll have to live with every day, don't be cheap about it. I go to Nick Brain in Bath - Lucy's my regular hairdresser and has been for quite a while now, if you have any doubts about where to go just go there and ask for her, although actually all the staff there are really nice and will do a good job. Each person charges a little differently but most of them will be £20-£30. Worth going to unless you live on the very opposite side of Bristol.

Once you've got the length sorted, getting it wavy enough is the next step. Any stylist worth a damn could sort this out for you but of course it will get expensive if you have to pay someone every week to do this, so it's worth sorting it out yourself. I was lucky that my hair is naturally about as wavy as Duff's, though I did need to purposefully straighten and curl it sometimes if it got out of control. Get some good hair straighteners (ceramics; they'll set you back about £70-£120). Make sure they are thin ones, you don't want the thick paddle straighteners meant for really long hair. GHD do a specific straightener for men that I use, they're £90 and fantastic for whatever you ever want to do. Use some good heat protection spray on your hair (I use heat protection conditioner too) and then it's a case of curving your hair as you use the straighteners - if you wrap your hair aroudn them you'll go fully curly, if you just pull straight your hair will be straight. So you basically have to shape the wave yourself. Wash your hair and style it every two-three days and you're done.
The quicker and dirtier route is to just wash your hair whenever and only do so when you're about to go to bed. Don't dry it properly, go to bed with it still a bit damp. In the morning your hair will be about the same condition as Duff's. The problem with this is that it only really lasts a day at a time before your hair reverts back to however it is naturally; the advantage is it's easier, cheaper and doesn't kill your hair quite as badly unless you wash it far too often. Remember no matter what you do, always wash your hair with cold water.

If you've got dark hair and are going to bleach it so you have the dark roots/blonde style of Duff, don't try to style it for a week or so after you have bleached it. Bleaching and heat styling within a week is too much for anyone's hair to really cope with, you'll just murder your hair.

Edit #3: Okay that was way too long. Tl;dr version: grow your hair long (year+), go to Nick Brain in Bath, ask to have Lucy if possible. Bring a picture of Duff, point at it and say "MAKE ME THAT HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR". They'll set you right.
Last edited by MrFlibble at May 30, 2010,
"Ghost-building" doesn't mean making exact copies. Ghost-building is when a factory produces guitars that are then sold under a different company's name.

For example, some indonesian-made Ibanez guitars are made in a Cort factory. Cort ghost-builds a lot of guitars, as do Samick/Greg Bennett.

I heard that Samick ghost-builds some Epiphone guitars, but I don't know if that's true.

As for exact Gibson copies, Tokai actually used to make a "les paul reborn" in the 1970's, which was closer to the spec of a 1959 les paul than anything Gibson produced at the time. They obviously got sued for that, and had to rename it the "love rock". You could have a look around for one of those, but chances are that if anyone has one, they'll be reluctant to sell it.
Quote by Skynyrd890
You maybe could build it? Just throwing it out there. It could be cheaper if you find the materials at the right price, and if you had the equip/know someone with the equip.

I had considerd that. But after trying my had at renovating an old strat I wouldnt trust myself with expensive materials
Haha thanks very much Mr Flibble I will have to save your post to my computer, V. helpfull