Poll: Which one is the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one is the best?
Fender Standard Stratocaster MiM (Made in Mexico)
21 43%
(PRS) Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
28 57%
Voters: 49.
I like to play Classic Rock, Psychedelic Rock and some Metal.
(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, The Beatles, Iron Maiden, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Deep Purple, AC/DC...)
My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15W.

[http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar-arctic-white-maple--59963

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-electric-guitar-cherry-sunburst-tremolo--34925
LIGHTNING
Last edited by | Lightning | at May 29, 2010,
You definitely need a new amp before a new guitar.
Gear :
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000 - EMG 81/85 + 18V mod
ESP/LTD AX-400 - EMG 81/81
Jackson DKMG - EMG 85/81 + 18V mod.

SGH VS100 All-tube head
Marshall 1960a JCM 800 cab

BOSS NS-2 / BOSS MT-2 / BOSS ML-2
BOSS BD-2 / BOSS PS-5 / BOSS-DD7
I have the PRS and it's served me damn well for all of my music. Neck's a bit wide but it's not too bad. The heel on the cutaway doesn't really get in your way as much as people say it does, and it covers all the music I do. It plays smoothly, and I've had no problems with the hardware.
The first response is correct, new amp before new axe. You'll notice a huge improvement with a new amp, then get the new axe. Also, if you're thinking of a strat, get HSS and not SSS, since you said you like higher gain musics.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by Kyle Ross
You definitely need a new amp before a new guitar.

I don't have any electric guitar...
My uncle gave me the peavey vypyr
LIGHTNING
Whats wrong with the peavy vypyr? I thought that was a good amp if your just playing in your house (from what I read here on the forums).
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
The PRS is more versatile (because it has humbuckers.) If I were you, I would go with that.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
have a different opinion. if you get the PRS get one with a trem. personally i'd get the Strat. don't let people tell you you can't do metal with them. the majority of bands you listed use strats. if you wanted to play death metal that's one thing but for what you listed the only one you'd have to work at would be metallica (and kirk used a strat on some of their stuff as well).
Does anyone know anything about PRS necks?
Do they make fat necks like Gibson, thin necks like Ibanez...???
LIGHTNING
Edit: ^If memory serves, with the SE series, it's comparable to a MIM strat.

Quote by TMF128
The PRS is more versatile (because it has humbuckers.) If I were you, I would go with that.

You do realize that of the eight bands he listed, half of them, their lead guitarist used single-coils, and in the other half, popping a humbucker in the bridge will get you to what two of the four remaining used?

I love McCarty shapes, but I really think an HSS strat will do you better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by | Lightning |
Does anyone know anything about PRS necks?
Do they make fat necks like Gibson, thin necks like Ibanez...???

they fall in between. not as fat as a LP neck but not as thin as a wizard style neck from Ibanez. the PRS is a decent guitar but don't expect it to sound anywhere near as good as a US made one. i've played several (actually one just the other day) and found them to be very inconsistent. a couple played good and sounded good but the rest either played aweful or sounded aweful (granted they can be fixed).

your best bet is to play both of the guitar you are interested and pick the one that feels the best in your hands and sounds the best to your ears.
Quote by monwobobbo
they fall in between. not as fat as a LP neck but not as thin as a wizard style neck from Ibanez. the PRS is a decent guitar but don't expect it to sound anywhere near as good as a US made one. i've played several (actually one just the other day) and found them to be very inconsistent. a couple played good and sounded good but the rest either played aweful or sounded aweful (granted they can be fixed).

your best bet is to play both of the guitar you are interested and pick the one that feels the best in your hands and sounds the best to your ears.

I can't really try them because there aren't any good guitar shops around here where I live...

But comparing the PRS neck with the Fender neck, which one is the best for people with small hands, short fingers...?
LIGHTNING
Quote by | Lightning |
I can't really try them because there aren't any good guitar shops around here where I live...

But comparing the PRS neck with the Fender neck, which one is the best for people with small hands, short fingers...?

either will be fine. i don't have long fingers either. not being able to try them is a disadvantage for sure. you really need to consider your needs as they are really two different sounding guitars. you may want to youtube them to give that a listen (not my fav method but better than nothing). also figure on what type of songs you will be playing most and look at what the guitar players in those bands are playing. you won't get david gilmour out of the PRS or Metallica out of the strat (not that you can't play their music on them but the sound won't be the same)
I've found every SE I've ever played to be rather lack-luster.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by onemanarmy9
The first response is correct, new amp before new axe. You'll notice a huge improvement with a new amp, then get the new axe. Also, if you're thinking of a strat, get HSS and not SSS, since you said you like higher gain musics.

Yes you gentlemen should look before you leap out with the standard and incorrect answer!
The TS has a C-70 Yamaha acoustic so an electric guitar is required.
TS either guitar should be fine so it depends on what sound you're after. There's no need to go crazy on an expensive amp if you're not gigging or ina band yet. I'll assume you can already play the accoustic so there's no need for an entry level or student electric either. Your choices are above that stage so they should be quite useable for sometime.
Moving on.....
Quote by me_llamo_juan
I have the PRS and it's served me damn well for all of my music. Neck's a bit wide but it's not too bad. The heel on the cutaway doesn't really get in your way as much as people say it does, and it covers all the music I do. It plays smoothly, and I've had no problems with the hardware.

Agreed.
PRS SE's are awesome guitars for the price.

But in your case, the single-coils might be necessary, since a lot of the bands you mentioned used them...

Check out a Yamaha Pacifica 112v.
It has a bridge humbucker, and single-coils in the middle and neck.
It might be perfect for what you want.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I still don't know...
I'm afraid that the neck of the PRS is too fat/wide for my hands...
And I'm afraid that the Strat's single coil pickups aren't powerful enough for my music...
I don't know... I don't know...
LIGHTNING
Last edited by | Lightning | at May 30, 2010,
It's 2 completely different guitars, and it all depends on your needs...
But I'd say the PRS is more versatile.. as I do have a American Standard Strat SSS and I want a PRS..

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
I would defintely go with the strat but make sure it's a fat strat. They're the best guitars to learn on.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
for everything but the ac/dc and metal, the strat.

add a coil tap to the prs and you are golden.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.