hi im new to the bass scene
and i have a line 6 lowdown 15w bass amp plugged into an ibanez sr 300
and i was wondering how i could get a good sound to play orion by metallica since im auditioning soon and i want to get a close tone to the original
my amp has 4 models clean, R&B, Rock and Grind
and has 5 knobs whiuch are drive, bass, lo mid, hi mid and treble and a knob that sais op to comp which i dont really know what it does
also theres a filter octaver and chorus knob?

please help me find the right tone thanx in advance
Quote by amrkamel99
hi im new to the bass scene
and i have a line 6 lowdown 15w bass amp plugged into an ibanez sr 300
and i was wondering how i could get a good sound to play orion by metallica since im auditioning soon and i want to get a close tone to the original
my amp has 4 models clean, R&B, Rock and Grind
and has 5 knobs whiuch are drive, bass, lo mid, hi mid and treble and a knob that sais op to comp which i dont really know what it does
also theres a filter octaver and chorus knob?

please help me find the right tone thanx in advance

I hope you're not thinking about auditioning with that 15w amp. You wont be able to hear yourself at all.

x

EDIT: also, use your ears. Keep on messing with the knobs until you find a sound which you think is good. if you think it is good, it is good.

also that tone comes from technique aswell, not just equalisation.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at May 29, 2010,
I'd probably start with:

Amp on clean
no drive
bass knob at 12 o' clock
low mid knob at 1 or 2 o' clock
high mid at 12
high at 11

try that and play around with it. The bass will make it sound more like a lower note and the high will make it sound more like a higher note. The mid gives it a little more punch.

I'd also throw just a little bit of that chorus in.
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at May 30, 2010,
Quote by shinhoman
I hope you're not thinking about auditioning with that 15w amp. You wont be able to hear yourself at all.

x

EDIT: also, use your ears. Keep on messing with the knobs until you find a sound which you think is good. if you think it is good, it is good.

also that tone comes from technique aswell, not just equalisation.

well the 15w amp is the best starter amp i could get with my budget
and the band im auditioning too is pretty small time play at small gigs and clubs
Quote by EBass
I'd probably start with:

Amp on clean
no drive
bass knob at 12 o' clock
low mid knob at 1 or 2 o' clock
high mid at 12
high at 11

try that and play around with it. The bass will make it sound more like a lower note and the high will make it sound more like a higher note. The mid gives it a little more punch.

I'd also throw just a little bit of that chorus in.

thanx man i apreciate the help i started from ur settings and played around a bit till i got the exact tone i wanted thanx m8
Quote by amrkamel99
well the 15w amp is the best starter amp i could get with my budget
and the band im auditioning too is pretty small time play at small gigs and clubs

I really don't want to put a downer on you because I think it's great that you're trying to get into a band and get yourself out there but seriously you can not gig with a 15 watt amp and be heard anywhere. The drums will simply drown you out. If you're serious about gigging with any band you want to save up for at least a 200 watt bass amp
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
I really don't want to put a downer on you because I think it's great that you're trying to get into a band and get yourself out there but seriously you can not gig with a 15 watt amp and be heard anywhere. The drums will simply drown you out. If you're serious about gigging with any band you want to save up for at least a 200 watt bass amp

+1
Sorry mate, it's a necessary evil.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
yeah pretty much flatten the amp and distort the hell out of it.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
I was more than ok when I used to jam with my 100W Traynor standing beside drummer so you'd be fine at that wattage, I dont agree he would have to have 200.

I've got a fender 400 combo that I can barely touch the volume knob on now so thats excessive (but it sounds sooo good).
Quote by shinhoman

Then he's got the Metallica sound nailed then
Quote by mac_attack
I was more than ok when I used to jam with my 100W Traynor standing beside drummer so you'd be fine at that wattage, I dont agree he would have to have 200.

I've got a fender 400 combo that I can barely touch the volume knob on now so thats excessive (but it sounds sooo good).

This.

I sometimes run my amp at 75 watts for practices and such, and I have no problems competing with drums.

The correlation between loudness and wattage is not as linear as many amp companies would have you believe.
Just get (if you want the same thing pretty much)
Electro Harmonix Big Fuzz
Wah Pedal

But don't try to get the same thing as him be orginal play your own style and try to find your own sound.

R.I.P Cliff Burton Best Bassist ever known
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
to get Cliff's bass sound, just turn the volume knob all the way down, for studio.

right no he was a great bassist but you totally can't hear him in the studio.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Well his tone was massively fuzzed out most of the time, if you mean the interlude part in the middle just use your ears and find some mellow sounding shiz. But you're not going to be heard period unless you have a mic in front of your amp or something.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jun 29, 2010,
Not having a decent amp really isnt that much of a problem where I live (Glasgow) - auditions usually take place in a rehearsal studio and most pub/ club gigs supply the backline. Of course, its preferable to have your own rig but I find with bass its relatively easy to get a workable tone from most things. I sold my 300 watt ashdown rig a few years ago and I've not really missed it too much!
Cliffs tone came from a mixture of the pedals he used, that classic Rick he used (or his Aria Pro on MoP), and the fact that on his Rock he had a Fender Strat guitar pickup right under the bridge to gett that extra treble.

Saying that, Cliff can be kind of hard to hear on most metallica mixes, although I can hear him more than Jason